Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Recent experiences with interlining bags to HA

Old Aug 13, 2015, 8:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM

I didn't find a recent thread about interlining bags from DL-HA, so here I am.

Does anyone have any recent experience having DL tag a bag through to a HA flight on separate tickets?
Old Aug 14, 2015, 12:16 pm
gsb

In May we were able to interline the bags from HA to DL. Flew LIH-HNL on HA, then HNL-ATL on DL. Two tickets, but all in FC if that matters.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 12:20 pm
Formerly known as jbalis

Programs: Delta Diamond, Starwood Gold, National Executive, MGM Noir,
from having lived there last year normally you will need to get your bags and bring them to HA and have to pay their baggage fees as they do not recognize DL elites. If you are traveling internationally it is a different story. Hope I am wrong.....
Old Aug 14, 2015, 12:38 pm

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
My most recent trip to Hawaii was last summer: SLC to HNL on DL metal; HNL to OGG on HA. Coming home was OGG - HNL on HA and HNL to SLC on DL. One 006 ticket directly from DL website.

The way there we checked bags with DL and they were checked all the way through to OGG with no problem. But the way home is a different story. In OGG (and perhaps some of the other islands other than Oahu; I just don't remember) there is no DL counter, so you check in directly with HA. And as VegasJosh mentioned, HA does not recognize DL medallion status so they will charge you for checked bags. Furthermore, HA has a 25 lbs weight limit on carry-on bags which they occasionally enforce at the gate, so consider that if you plan to cram everything into your carry-ons for the trip home.

If anyone has more recent info I'd be interested to hear it as well.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 12:42 pm

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by KevinDTW
My most recent trip to Hawaii was last summer: SLC to HNL on DL metal; HNL to OGG on HA. Coming home was OGG - HNL on HA and HNL to SLC on DL. One 006 ticket directly from DL website.

The way there we checked bags with DL and they were checked all the way through to OGG with no problem. But the way home is a different story. In OGG (and perhaps some of the other islands other than Oahu; I just don't remember) there is no DL counter, so you check in directly with HA. And as VegasJosh mentioned, HA does not recognize DL medallion status so they will charge you for checked bags. Furthermore, HA has a 25 lbs weight limit on carry-on bags which they occasionally enforce at the gate, so consider that if you plan to cram everything into your carry-ons for the trip home.

If anyone has more recent info I'd be interested to hear it as well.
This has been my experience as well.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 1:06 pm

Programs: DELTA Skymiles:GOLD
I am going next Sunday 8/23/15 from SEA-HNL on DL and then HNl- OGG onHA...I can let you know if it is not too late.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by Playsmart
I am going next Sunday 8/23/15 from SEA-HNL on DL and then HNl- OGG onHA...I can let you know if it is not too late.
Please do report. I'm doing the same in January (except HNL-KOA) and I'm interested in your experience.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 1:32 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by VegasJosh
from having lived there last year normally you will need to get your bags and bring them to HA and have to pay their baggage fees as they do not recognize DL elites. If you are traveling internationally it is a different story. Hope I am wrong.....
I'm actually curious about the international bit. I'm flying OGG-HNL-ICN, with OGG-HNL in Y on HA and HNL-ICN in J on KE. I'm assuming I'll have to pay baggage fees to HA, but would be pleasantly surprised if some mystical IATA rule means the KE rules apply because there's a TPAC segment to Asia...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.