FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   suspicious bag as MSP this morning 8/13/2015 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1702332-suspicious-bag-msp-morning-8-13-2015-a.html)

MSPeconomist Aug 13, 15 6:43 am

suspicious bag as MSP this morning 8/13/2015

Local media are reporting a suspicious bag found early this morning at MSP Terminal 1, the terminal used by DL and other USA legacy carriers such as UA annd AA/US as well as the AF CDG flight. The incident occurred around 4:20 am and caused at least the baggage claim area to be evaculated. The bag has tested positive for explosives.

Anyone traveling through MSP today should check flight status and try to allow extra time. It might be best to avoid checking a bag if possible, including for MSP arrivals and connections as well as departures.

Good luck.

Teamstone Aug 13, 15 7:01 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 25264762)
Local media are reporting a suspicious bag found early this morning at MSP Terminal 1, the terminal used by DL and other USA legacy carriers such as UA annd AA/US as well as the AF CDG flight. The incident occurred around 4:20 am and caused at least the baggage claim area to be evaculated. The bag has tested positive for explosives.

Anyone traveling through MSP today should check flight status and try to allow extra time. It might be best to avoid checking a bag if possible, including for MSP arrivals and connections as well as departures.

Good luck.

MSP, I believe you but not finding confirmation on Kare11.com or star tribune,

MSPeconomist Aug 13, 15 7:03 am

Airport roadways and the baggage claim area have been reopened, but there are reports of huge lines at the airport.

The bag was found at belt #12. Its owner apparently had reported it as missing, but of course this doesn't explain the explosives test.

MSPeconomist Aug 13, 15 7:04 am

Originally Posted by Teamstone (Post 25264828)
MSP, I believe you but not finding confirmation on Kare11.com or star tribune,

There's something now on the Fox 9 news website.

Teamstone Aug 13, 15 7:12 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 25264847)
There's something now on the Fox 9 news website.

Thanks MSP

pcharles Aug 13, 15 9:24 am

Initially tested positive, looks like determined a false alarm.
http://www.mprnews.org/story/2015/08/13/msp-airport-bag
http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2015/0...f-msp-airport/

Have a friend who operates fireworks shows around the country. He said he constantly sets off the sniffer machines, etc, always has his permits/ID at the ready. Always plans extra time as he knows he will be going through the drill. Said no matter what, those product residues are all over his belongings. Gun enthusiasts find residue in their bags, safes, etc.

pcharles Aug 13, 15 9:25 am

Do you think he got extra miles because the bag wasn't delivered in 20min?
:)

kenn0223 Aug 13, 15 9:39 am

I went though MSP around 9am (CDT) and everything appeared to be normal. Security lines (PreCheck and regular) were as they normally are this time of day and my flight out of the C concourse was on-time.

kop84 Aug 13, 15 9:44 am

Have a friend who operates fireworks shows around the country. He said he constantly sets off the sniffer machines, etc, always has his permits/ID at the ready. Always plans extra time as he knows he will be going through the drill. Said no matter what, those product residues are all over his belongings. Gun enthusiasts find residue in their bags, safes, etc.
I would have zero trouble believing that's what happened. Put a few bottle rockets in the bag over the 4th of July festivities and some residue is bound to be on the bag indefinitely because its not as though you can throw your bag in the washing machine!

motytrah Aug 13, 15 10:05 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 25264842)
The bag was found at belt #12. Its owner apparently had reported it as missing, but of course this doesn't explain the explosives test.

All sorts of household chemicals set off those machines. I've personally had them go off on me a couple times. Each time the TSA guy put the swab in a machine in the other line and it came back clear. These things false positive all the time.

MSPeconomist Aug 13, 15 10:48 am

Originally Posted by motytrah (Post 25265681)
All sorts of household chemicals set off those machines. I've personally had them go off on me a couple times. Each time the TSA guy put the swab in a machine in the other line and it came back clear. These things false positive all the time.

I'm personally afraid to use hand sanitizer for this reason.

AKC6 Aug 13, 15 2:26 pm

August 1?

Wasn't there a suspicious package or something at MSP August 1?

LaserSailor Aug 13, 15 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 25265897)
I'm personally afraid to use hand sanitizer for this reason.

Its not a big deal if you test positive. Im involved with clients with explosives and Ive tested positive several times and the delay is measured in seconds/small numbers of minutes.

I even tested positive in TLV once and was still whisked through pretty easily.

dorisrpas Aug 13, 15 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by LaserSailor (Post 25267117)
Its not a big deal if you test positive. Im involved with clients with explosives and Ive tested positive several times and the delay is measured in seconds/small numbers of minutes.

I even tested positive in TLV once and was still whisked through pretty easily.

Can be a big deal. I tested positive at PHL early one morning in the Pre-check lane, was a random test. Pulled me into private room for secondary thorough swabbing of me and my carry-ons and pat-down. Tested positive again ... stayed in different hotel and used their soap/lotion is all I can figure. With the second positive they had to track down my check bag which went for screening and made copies of all my travel documents and drivers license. All together 45 minute hold-up.

I wonder if those machines have ever caught anyone real with murderous intent ...

hooverer Aug 13, 15 8:08 pm

Went through MSP this morning a little after 6AM and saw more activity in this thread than what I saw at the airport, in fact did not even known anything had happened there until seeing the small news blurb this afternoon.