suspicious bag as MSP this morning 8/13/2015

Old Aug 13, 15, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; HH Diam,Hz PC,
Originally Posted by motytrah View Post
All sorts of household chemicals set off those machines. I've personally had them go off on me a couple times. Each time the TSA guy put the swab in a machine in the other line and it came back clear. These things false positive all the time.
Yes I am a Research Chemist and I had one go off at IND
Old Aug 13, 15, 9:48 pm

Programs: UA, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
In situations where I get called to secondary screening I always request the clerk use fresh gloves, swabs and check the machine for "obvious" residue that could be causing a problem before they start the second series of tests. When I didn't do this I'd often get a second positive and then they'd change everything and I would be cleared. Now it is just second nature for me to make the request. I don't have time for their incompetence.

Originally Posted by dorisrpas View Post
Can be a big deal. I tested positive at PHL early one morning in the Pre-check lane, was a random test. Pulled me into private room for secondary thorough swabbing of me and my carry-ons and pat-down. Tested positive again ... stayed in different hotel and used their soap/lotion is all I can figure. With the second positive they had to track down my check bag which went for screening and made copies of all my travel documents and drivers license. All together 45 minute hold-up.

I wonder if those machines have ever caught anyone real with murderous intent ...

Search this Thread