Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrades after boarding?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2015, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Charter DM/DM/2MM, IHG Diamond Elite
Upgrades after boarding?

Yesterday I flew from DTW>SFO and noticed that after everyone had boarded that there was an empty seat in 1A, despite the fact that there were still 30 odd people on the UG list. When the GA came on board with her final paperwork, the lead FA pointed out the empty seat. The GA mentioned something about a new rule that once a person has boarded then you give up the right to be upgraded. So does DL expect the #1 on the UG list to wait in the boarding area in case a seat in First becomes available at the last minute, and then board if nothing opens up? Good luck trying to find an open bin for any hand luggage at that point!

Mods, please re-post this in an appropriate thread if necessary. Thanks!
Old Aug 11, 2015, 1:57 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
It's not a new rule, it's an old one, but some agents will move people forward after boarding if there's time.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by audidudi
Yesterday I flew from DTW>SFO and noticed that after everyone had boarded that there was an empty seat in 1A, despite the fact that there were still 30 odd people on the UG list. When the GA came on board with her final paperwork, the lead FA pointed out the empty seat. The GA mentioned something about a new rule that once a person has boarded then you give up the right to be upgraded. So does DL expect the #1 on the UG list to wait in the boarding area in case a seat in First becomes available at the last minute, and then board if nothing opens up? Good luck trying to find an open bin for any hand luggage at that point!

Mods, please re-post this in an appropriate thread if necessary. Thanks!
Not a new rule. It has been in place for a long time. You board you lose your place on the UG list. Some GA's will still come find the next on the list but generally that is the way it works.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 2:00 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Originally Posted by audidudi
Yesterday I flew from DTW>SFO and noticed that after everyone had boarded that there was an empty seat in 1A, despite the fact that there were still 30 odd people on the UG list. When the GA came on board with her final paperwork, the lead FA pointed out the empty seat. The GA mentioned something about a new rule that once a person has boarded then you give up the right to be upgraded. So does DL expect the #1 on the UG list to wait in the boarding area in case a seat in First becomes available at the last minute?...
Yes, it is not a new rule. Been that way for years. Board you lose. If you are on the bubble, I'd hang back and check with the GA after everyone boards.

That's not to say a GA won't ever come on board and upgrade #1 just before the door closes. I remember an ATL-AUS flight about five months ago. The Delta app showed me about four below the one available upgrade. So I boarded early. Later GA comes on board and upgrades me.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 2:02 pm
Formerly known as jbalis

Programs: Delta Diamond, Starwood Gold, National Executive, MGM Noir,
I get the so called battle field upgrade quite often, I know most of the GA at my home small airport and try to mention in the nicest possible way that I am 1 on the list and boarding the plane. I am more often then not told "oh thank you for telling me if there ends up being a seat I will come get you.". Low and behold it happens pretty often. A lot of times a little kindness coupled with a smile and a great attitude goes a long way. YMMV
Old Aug 11, 2015, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Charter DM/DM/2MM, IHG Diamond Elite
It happened to me recently that the GA came on board when I was #1 on the list, and already seated in C+, and upgraded me to FC. That's why I wasn't sure about this rule as the GA yesterday was definitely telling the lead FA that it was a "new "rule"!

Last edited by audidudi; Aug 11, 2015 at 3:58 pm
Old Aug 11, 2015, 2:30 pm

Programs: Delta DM; *A FO. UG since(1/1/15): 11/14
Maybe it was just a new GA, still learning the ins and outs
Old Aug 11, 2015, 2:36 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM/UA G MM/DL MM DM 2015/BA Silver/Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Bowgie
Yes, it is not a new rule. Been that way for years. Board you lose. If you are on the bubble, I'd hang back and check with the GA after everyone boards.

That's not to say a GA won't ever come on board and upgrade #1 just before the door closes. I remember an ATL-AUS flight about five months ago. The Delta app showed me about four below the one available upgrade. So I boarded early. Later GA comes on board and upgrades me.
How many times does take to remind people the rule is not you board you lose?
Old Aug 11, 2015, 2:43 pm

Programs: Delta Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Diplomat, Hertz Chairman's Square, Avis Preferred Plus
I've gotten upgraded multiple times after already boarding..
Old Aug 11, 2015, 2:58 pm

Programs: DL exDM MM
The more I read about the "you-board-you-lose" rule the more it sounds like a local/optional rule. Not system wide.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 3:13 pm

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
Originally Posted by VegasJosh
I get the so called battle field upgrade quite often, I know most of the GA at my home small airport and try to mention in the nicest possible way that I am 1 on the list and boarding the plane. I am more often then not told "oh thank you for telling me if there ends up being a seat I will come get you.". Low and behold it happens pretty often. A lot of times a little kindness coupled with a smile and a great attitude goes a long way. YMMV
This. Has worked several times including lie flat to Hawaii.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 3:20 pm

The only priority a GA is getting that flight out on time. Sometimes if they're in a good mood and have a little extra time they'll go out of their way to upgrade pax on-board.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 3:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is incorrect. It has been the rule for at least 4 years. GA's disregard it when they have the time. But, if the push is delayed because the agent doesn't timely close out the flight, it's the agent who gets dinged.

Solution is that if there are X seats remaining and you are within X on the list, ask. If the GA commits to getting you, take your seat. If the agent tells you, things are too tight, make up your mind. If the agent tells you he'll fetch you if there's time, you also have a decision.

Personally, it would be better to establish and stick to the rule. All it does is disappoint people who thought it would work.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 3:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It's not new and it's not a rule. It sounds like a lazy GA in that there's no evidence that there wasn't time to move up one person. Also, telling the FA that it was a new rule is just another example of a DL employee making up stuff when it's convenient.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 6:54 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by Bicostal
How many times does take to remind people the rule is not you board you lose?
Wrong.

Originally Posted by Often1
This is incorrect. It has been the rule for at least 4 years. GA's disregard it when they have the time. But, if the push is delayed because the agent doesn't timely close out the flight, it's the agent who gets dinged.

Solution is that if there are X seats remaining and you are within X on the list, ask. If the GA commits to getting you, take your seat. If the agent tells you, things are too tight, make up your mind. If the agent tells you he'll fetch you if there's time, you also have a decision.

Personally, it would be better to establish and stick to the rule. All it does is disappoint people who thought it would work.
Correct. I received written confirmation from Delta, as have others, that it is the official rule, though it is not uniformly enforced. Now that I am no longer medallion I haven't kept the correspondence, but it definitely was and most likely still is the official "rule."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.