Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrades after boarding?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2015, 1:55 pm

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by Bicostal
I have kept the correspondence and posted it. Board you lose is not the rule.
And regardless of how many times you post it, it is not the policy and posting it over and over and over again is not going to change it.

If you board, you have lost all rights to the upgrade..... the who, the what, and the how are none of your concern after you have boarded.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 2:08 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Nonsense. If someone getting a battlefield upgrade, it should be the elite who was on top of the upgrade list, not some random passenger on the flight.
Depends on who is doing the upgrading. We all agree that the ideal way is for the GA to come on-board the upgrade by the list.

The example cited was an FA doing upgrades, which means door is already closed and nobody knows the true list. Short of checking someone's Delta App -- "Will Mr. or Ms. W COYote please come up?" there is no way of knowing.

FA can either upgrade nobody or take a guess. Even random military-in-uniform or monks-in-robes (asia flights) is better than nobody getting an upgrade.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 2:22 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM/UA G MM/DL MM DM 2015/BA Silver/Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by longing4piedmont
And regardless of how many times you post it, it is not the policy and posting it over and over and over again is not going to change it.

If you board, you have lost all rights to the upgrade..... the who, the what, and the how are none of your concern after you have boarded.
June 25, 2015 -

--------
Thank you for contacting us through delta.com. We are sorry for the delay in responding to your message.

You do not lose your priority on the upgrade list if you have boarded the aircraft. Once you have boarded the aircraft and seat in First Class becomes available, you will be upgraded if you were next on the list. We apologize for the incorrect information you received.

We appreciate your support as a Million Miler and Diamond Medallion member and will always welcome the opportunity to be of service.

---------

So, corporate lied? No, I think they apologized on your behalf.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 2:27 pm

Programs: DL/UA/AA/BA
Just a week, DFW - MSP, I boarded as the only name on the UG list, and the one empty seat in F did not get filled. I was as incensed as the F cabin was filled with child companions and a crew member in uniform. So much for Diamond status. I asked the FA, and she said its up to ground staff whether or not to fill unclaimed F seats. Whether policy or practice, there is no incentive to board if on the bubble (i always check luggage, so don't care about overheads being full).
Old Aug 12, 2015, 5:18 pm

Still wrong

Originally Posted by fti
Wrong.

Correct. I received written confirmation from Delta, as have others, that it is the official rule, though it is not uniformly enforced. Now that I am no longer medallion I haven't kept the correspondence, but it definitely was and most likely still is the official "rule."
Your posting history fails to show any post of any documentation. You began this back in 2010 based on what you may have heard or gotten second hand from the ATL DO inOctober of that year. I posted correspondence from 2012 or so and again from correspondence received less than two months ago direct from Delta. You can assert all you like, but absent recent documentation, your position is untenable.

According to Delta, you do not lose your position on the official upgrade list by boarding the flight.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 5:26 pm

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
June 25, 2015 -

--------
Thank you for contacting us through delta.com. We are sorry for the delay in responding to your message.

You do not lose your priority on the upgrade list if you have boarded the aircraft. Once you have boarded the aircraft and seat in First Class becomes available, you will be upgraded if you were next on the list. We apologize for the incorrect information you received.

We appreciate your support as a Million Miler and Diamond Medallion member and will always welcome the opportunity to be of service.

---------

So, corporate lied? No, I think they apologized on your behalf.
The information provided to you was in fact wrong. But don't take my word for it....just go ahead and board the next time you are close to the top of the list. Odds a very very good when the wheels leave the ground you will be sitting in coach.

But like I said before posting this over and over and over again is not going to change the policy.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 7:27 pm

The information provided to you was in fact wrong. But don't take my word for it....just go ahead and board the next time you are close to the top of the list. Odds a very very good when the wheels leave the ground you will be sitting in coach.

But like I said before posting this over and over and over again is not going to change the policy.
And you know this how? Evidence from personal experience says otherwise, as does the experience of others. What makes you so confident that Delta has erred on this issue in its response?

Last edited by Bicostal; Aug 12, 2015 at 7:29 pm Reason: Add
Old Aug 12, 2015, 8:36 pm

Programs: DL Diamond,1.8 MM; AA Gold

Just because some of the GA agents make it a practice, doesn't mean it's policy. There is no consistent practice, no matter what the policy is which is why so many are frustrated around the issue.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 9:04 pm

Programs: AA GLD Skymiles DM MM, a+ rewards lifetime elite, AS, Marriott plat, PC plat, HH gold
Recent experience ATL-AUS I was 9 of 23 to start boarding process. i waited until I was #1 on the GIDS and approached GA. I asked if F had boarded full and GA said he was still waiting on one. He asked me to wait on the other side of the desk if I wanted the seat. I waited and last F pax arrived at the deadline from the club. There was no question that I would have had the upgrade if the last F pax did not show and not someone pulled from the back.

Recent ATL-LAX , I was in paid F and was the last to board at 15 minute cutoff. There was one pax waiting at the podium watching the GIDS. I heard him comment just prior to my scanning the BP that he was waiting to see the UP by his name.

There is not a consistent policy but the vast majority of my flights you board you surrender is the policy followed, any deviation usually results in some token SM after complaining. The biggest factor recently is that F is full immediately after boarding starts and it is impossible to test the policy.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 9:22 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Gold
I've been lucky twice. Once SEA-MSP and another, surprisingly, SYD-LAX. I had my GUC waitlisted and was moved to BE before takeoff.

Even better, my GUC wasn't closed out, so I used it on another trip. Win. Win.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by fti
\ Now that I am no longer medallion I haven't kept the correspondence, but it definitely was and most likely still is the official "rule."

Some airports such as ATL seen to have a "you board you lose" "rule". At others they will come aboard and upgrade you. It is not a system-wide written published rule.

Oh and perhaps you need to update your profile to show you are no longer DL Gold medallion.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 11:27 pm

Programs: DL DM, DL SkyClub, DL AmEx Plat, SPG +, Hilton Silver, Hertz, Thrifty BlueChip, NEXUS/GE
How many times does take to remind people the rule is not you board you lose?
Agree. If it IS a rule (no one has provided proof- but whatever, I'm not here to pick a fight), the rule is the exception. More times than not I get pulled forward when on the fence. I do make a point to speak with the GAs politely before boarding and ask if I should wait or board. I'm usually told to board (they obviously don't want a delay) and I usually get pulled forward.

I am in NO way saying various stations don't have and/or follow the rules differently. Some places I'm sure it's game over when you board.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 3:00 pm

I boarded during the Sky zone. Was sitting in my seat and the gate agent came and asked the guy in front of me if he wanted to move up w/ upgrade. He declined. I was next on the list and she even before she could finish her sentence to me, I was walking up to my new seat in row 1.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 3:20 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM; Hilton Diamond; National Exec
Originally Posted by fpmurphy
Some airports such as ATL seen to have a "you board you lose" "rule".
I've been pulled up to F a few times out of ATL. Each time I was top of the list with no seats showing available, and I didn't say anything to the GA before boarding. So it can happen.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by fti
If it is true that "you board, you lose" which I believe it is, then there was no Shena. Once you board you lose your right to the upgrade. If you get upgraded, great, but if not, no shena involved.
There is; if all pax have "lost their right to upgrade" then the relative priorities have not changed.

Now, if someone stayed behind and got the last F seat because he was the only one on the upgrade list who hadn't boarded, that wouldn't be Shena.

It's also possible that #2 on the list an hour out was #1 at flight time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.