Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Going to Japan - ANA vs. Delta?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2015, 7:34 am

I'll go for ANA without any hesitation
service, food, and overall is just so much better than DL IMHO ....
Old Aug 11, 2015, 7:38 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by Kevin Liu
Overall that's for certain based on feedback I've gotten. Service on DL is either good or bad, on average mediocre. Oddly, I think the service on int'l routes in DL coach is better, overall, than the service in DL business/D1. Seems odd, but in the past few years that has been my experience.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 7:44 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by Kevin Liu
Really? The NH service and food is so much better that for a TPAC flight you'd take 10-across 777 with 31" pitch vs 7-across 763 or 9-across 777 with 35" pitch (based on OP getting C+ for free)?
Old Aug 11, 2015, 7:52 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by bennos
Really? The NH service and food is so much better that for a TPAC flight you'd take 10-across 777 with 31" pitch vs 7-across 763 or 9-across 777 with 35" pitch (based on OP getting C+ for free)?
If the OP can get Premium Economy.

Is it really $1k more than coach? I know a number of people that have taken it, and I don't recall that number. Quite a few got it for free, but I didn't ask how they did.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Yes not even close IMO. 38 inches of pitch.

Old Aug 11, 2015, 11:14 am

at least this is my experience from DL TPAC:
a lot of time when I press the FA call button, no one came ....
when I walked to the service area, most of time I saw US FAs just sitting there and chatting ...... (what a surprise ....)
when I flew the Japanese based airlines, this never happened to me
I found what's even nicer about the Japanese airlines is even you fall asleep when they deliver meal(s), they'll left a sticky note in-front of you which gives you a chance to get the meal later
what I saw on the DL is they just pass you without leaving a note and I'm not sure whether you get the meal later on .....

also food is just way better on japanese airlines
Old Aug 11, 2015, 11:33 am

Programs: DL Diamond, ANA Platinum
Service-wise, ANA is much better than DL in general. Better food, more attentive flight attendants and cleaner, more modern planes.

Five years ago, when I was a UA flyer w/ *G, they upgraded me on SFO-NRT twice and NRT-LHR once. I think they still do treat UA elites quite well in oversold situations.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 11:50 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by avidflyer
Yes not even close IMO. 38 inches of pitch.

That's really cool and all, but the OP is looking at Y, not Y+... Unless *G gets you free upgrades to Y+ on NH, then the comparison is 10-abreast Y @ 31" vs Economy Comfort.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pbarnette
That's really cool and all, but the OP is looking at Y, not Y+... Unless *G gets you free upgrades to Y+ on NH, then the comparison is 10-abreast Y @ 31" vs Economy Comfort.
? Huh?

The OP is Plat on both DL and UA and has access to both "premium" Y products. The ANA premium Y is better than DL.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 12:05 pm
Suspended

This. Anyone that would make that trade-off in terms of seat comfort for an airplane meal is either very small or doesn't understand that you could simply bring on food.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 12:11 pm
Suspended

? Huh?

The OP is Plat on both DL and UA and has access to both "premium" Y products. The ANA premium Y is better than DL.
The ANA product is not free to UA elites, at least to my knowledge. It is a separate cabin, not just Economy Plus. If ANA does give away their Premium Economy product to elites (and partner elites at that!), they would probably be the only airline in the world doing so.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The ANA product is not free to UA elites, at least to my knowledge. It is a separate cabin, not just Economy Plus. If ANA does give away their Premium Economy product to elites (and partner elites at that!), they would probably be the only airline in the world doing so.
Really? I have checked in for at least 10 ANA flights and get free Premium Y. Granted I am a 1K but that is still *G. When were you denied?
Old Aug 11, 2015, 12:35 pm
Suspended

Really? I have checked in for at least 10 ANA flights and get free Premium Y. Granted I am a 1K but that is still *G. When were you denied?
Strange that this is the first mention of this very valuable perk mentioned anywhere that I can find with a Google search, but I don't have personal experience with it, so if the OP is willing to go with ANA on your say-so, I wish them well.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

...if the OP is willing to go with ANA ...
Hi Friends, thanks for all the replies. Wanted to give a quick update: I ended up booking with DL (and they happened to be a 'most preferred' carrier with my company) and was able to secure the E+ seating on both inbound and outbound flights. I'm still holding out hope for an empathetic ticketing agent to let me into Business but I've mentally prepared to sit where I'm assigned.

I have another trip to Poland, and some questions re: UA and LH (I'm UA Plat.) and how that all works, but I'll save it for the UA/LH areas.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 1:02 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Strange that this is the first mention of this very valuable perk mentioned anywhere that I can find with a Google search, but I don't have personal experience with it, so if the OP is willing to go with ANA on your say-so, I wish them well.
I mentioned it earlier in this thread.... but I wasn't sure if it was still active because I haven't flown ANA for several years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.