Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL 1889 Damaged by hail enroute BOS-DIA

DL 1889 Damaged by hail enroute BOS-DIA

Old Aug 9, 2015, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but technically DIA was the code for about a day when the new Denver airport opened. There was a little overlap when Stapleton and the new Denver airport were open and there had to be two airport codes. Obviously it reverted back to DEN after Stapleton closed.
That is correct, it still calls itself DIA in the media.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 7:37 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Pres. Circle
Originally Posted by greg99
Wow - I thought we went off half-cocked in the UA forum...
I am more than happy to give the benefit of the doubt when airlines or airline emloyees make harmless or honest mistakes. That being said, the flew into A FRICKIN HAIL SHAFT. These weather formations take at least a minute or two to form. Apparently the radar didn't work prior to the airplane encountering hail. Otherwise, they wouldn't have flown any where near A FRICKING HAIL SHAFT.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 7:50 pm

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but technically DIA was the code for about a day when the new Denver airport opened. There was a little overlap when Stapleton and the new Denver airport were open and there had to be two airport codes. Obviously it reverted back to DEN after Stapleton closed.
You're wrong.

The temporary code for Denver International before DEN was moved from Stapleton was "DVX".
Old Aug 9, 2015, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by CKDGM
You're wrong.

The temporary code for Denver International before DEN was moved from Stapleton was "DVX".
My bad, I just always remember it being called dia, or dia airport which amuses me.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 8:16 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
AA had a 787 damaged by hail after leaving Beijing recently as well. A few hail issues recently.

http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/2...ext-week.html/
Old Aug 9, 2015, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by cornfedcowboy
I am more than happy to give the benefit of the doubt when airlines or airline emloyees make harmless or honest mistakes. That being said, the flew into A FRICKIN HAIL SHAFT. These weather formations take at least a minute or two to form. Apparently the radar didn't work prior to the airplane encountering hail. Otherwise, they wouldn't have flown any where near A FRICKING HAIL SHAFT.
Wow. Quite amazing that the investigating team was able to come to such definitive conclusions so quickly and then came right here to Flyertalk to share their findings.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 1:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Obviously you're commercial airline pilot with ATP, and thousands of hours flying.

Radar is not one hundred percent, weather forms fairly quickly, and as noted in another post, one doesn't need to be right in the storm to get hit. Hail can be carried a few miles away from the storm. Nothing here indicates the radar didn't work, just that the hail formed fairly quickly and/or was carried away from the storm clouds it formed in.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 1:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by kettle1
WOW? That is crazy. Where did OP get these photos?
Someone who posts a news.

Found this:

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_28...landing-denver
Old Aug 10, 2015, 1:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by VegasJosh
do you have a link to the other forum?
No, there is no other forums. Someone who posts a news.

Found this:

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_28...landing-denver
Old Aug 10, 2015, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Glad the pilots were able to land the plane safely. A replacement aircraft (MD-90) took the pax from DEN to SLC about 4 hours after the emergency landing.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 8:26 am

Programs: DL PM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
I was on the flight and was quoted in the Denver Post article. I have to say that the pilot and crew were top notch on our flight. We could have been in a panic considering the condition the aircraft was in, but the FAs and pilots were calm and made it sound like just another day of flying, even though it clearly wasn't. That confidence helped all the passengers and even some that I saw who were really freaking out were able to calm down as a result of it. Feel free to ask questions if you want, I'll be in and out of the thread every so often and do my best to answer everything.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 8:39 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
These weather formations take at least a minute or two to form. Apparently the radar didn't work prior to the airplane encountering hail. Otherwise, they wouldn't have flown any where near A FRICKING HAIL SHAFT.
Planes are going 500+ MPH and can't turn on a dime. So if weather forms directly ahead of them or literally right around them, "a minute or two" is not enough time to deviate around it.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 9:48 am

Programs: AA EP, DL DM, DL 1M, Marriott Elite, Hilton Gold, SPG Elite
Summer storms in the midwest are incredibly dynamic. I don't think people realize how far aviation meteorology has come and I'm sure those in that community will write a thesis on this event.

I take 1889 a few times per year. I've been on planes struck by lightning that could not continue, one of which was quite disconcerting. This would have surely been frightening even for the most seasoned flyer. Glad this turned out ok for all (except the aircraft).
Old Aug 10, 2015, 10:00 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Originally Posted by sorro
I was on the flight and was quoted in the Denver Post article. I have to say that the pilot and crew were top notch on our flight. We could have been in a panic considering the condition the aircraft was in, but the FAs and pilots were calm and made it sound like just another day of flying, even though it clearly wasn't. That confidence helped all the passengers and even some that I saw who were really freaking out were able to calm down as a result of it. Feel free to ask questions if you want, I'll be in and out of the thread every so often and do my best to answer everything.
I noticed CBS Evening News, for example, reported that passengers had better weather radar on the storms than the pilots who are not allowed to have Internet in the cockpit. If that is so, why did a FA not show the best weather radar to one of the pilots?
Old Aug 10, 2015, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
Denver, CO is DEN. DIA isn't a code for anywhere.
Well Detroit Institute of Arts

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.