Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Million Miler Gift: Advice?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2015, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Million Miler Gift: Advice?

I'm looking for a carry-on bag, and they have several that seem good. Which do people think is best?

Hartmann Intensity 20" Expandable
Tumi Vapor International Carry-On
Tumi Tegra-Lite International Carry-On

Is there any site that has a good comparison of them?
Old Jul 30, 2015, 12:27 am

Originally Posted by sethb
I'm looking for a carry-on bag, and they have several that seem good. Which do people think is best?

I would check www.ebags.com for reviews and features.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 5:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K

Originally Posted by Darth Chocolate
I would check www.ebags.com for reviews and features.
unfortunately this site has exactly two reviews of the Tegra-Lite and none of either of the others, so it doesn't exactly qualify as a good comparison

I'm in the same situation ... from the Hartmann and Tumi websites, the Hartmann is a bit bigger and about a pound heavier; it's also ballistic nylon where both Tumi models are hard-sided

not an easy call by any means
Old Jul 30, 2015, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I went with the Hartmann Intensity Expandable and am pleased with it so far. Its still pretty new, but like the space and features inside.

My only comments would be that the expandable offered when I picked a few months ago is not a 'spinner' type, so it has two wheels and 'feet'. The other spinner model offered wasn't expandable, however I prefer the wheel version since they seem to be a bit bigger internally since the space isn't taken for the casters, and fit in the overheads easier
Old Jul 30, 2015, 9:38 am

Programs: DL DM-1MM
I chose the Hartmann Intensity 22' about 5 years ago and it has been a durable and reliable bag. I say this in relation to the 20'. Quality bag!
Old Jul 30, 2015, 9:42 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
I took the Tumi Tegra-Lite International Carry-On and used it for last month's run to SYD. I am downsizing from the larger TravelPro rollaboard that got me to several countries. Anyway, I liked the Tumi so much that I bought a larger piece for my checked luggage for international trips.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Oh and don't feel like you have to hurry up and select... think I waited 9 months after getting the MM gift email before making my selection.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 2:39 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.5MM, 20 Years Top Tier on DL, UA 1K, AC E75k, MR/SPG Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by rylan
I went with the Hartmann Intensity Expandable and am pleased with it so far. Its still pretty new, but like the space and features inside.

My only comments would be that the expandable offered when I picked a few months ago is not a 'spinner' type, so it has two wheels and 'feet'. The other spinner model offered wasn't expandable, however I prefer the wheel version since they seem to be a bit bigger internally since the space isn't taken for the casters, and fit in the overheads easier
Originally Posted by phatpaw
I chose the Hartmann Intensity 22' about 5 years ago and it has been a durable and reliable bag. I say this in relation to the 20'. Quality bag!
I got my Hartmann at 1M and Have put over 2M more miles on it. Nothing has ever broken on it (probably because it spends most of its life on top of a Briggs & Riley Roll-aboard).

TFD
Old Jul 30, 2015, 2:40 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.5MM, 20 Years Top Tier on DL, UA 1K, AC E75k, MR/SPG Lifetime Platinum
...one more point....

At 2MM I got Ms TFD the Tiffany earrings... That earned me some points at home!

TFD
Old Jul 30, 2015, 3:20 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Have you also thought about going to a retailer which sells them so that you may compare for yourself in person?
Old Jul 30, 2015, 3:45 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
+1, that was the bag I took, for same reason and I have been impressed with it so far. Definitely a far, far nicer bag than the crummy ones I'd bought and used in the past!

Originally Posted by rylan

Old Jul 30, 2015, 4:00 pm

Congratulations on the Million Miles.
Would be years before I qualify (if ever)
Old Jul 30, 2015, 4:05 pm

I took the Vapor light which was my second choice after one of the Hartmans (out of stock). I like the case but its already getting scratched up since I can shove it into a CRJ700 and 900. It fits but its snug (but saves me loads of time).

I like the case, it took a little getting used to with the split sides but I've got the packing down now and can pack a business week (Sun-Thurs) with no problem even though it was smaller than my older bag.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 4:55 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, MM, Hilton, Marriott, Priority Club, etc
I think I hit 1MM about 5 years ago and had a Samsonite carry on that was mostly dead.

I took the Hartmann that was offered at the time and I am now getting close to 2MM so it's gotten a lot of use. No issues with it but Tumi was not an option back then.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 5:16 pm

Programs: 7mm DM, FC, Marriott PM (lifetime), HH Diamond
For one of my MM gifts I took the Hartmann and gave it to the wife. She loves it. It is a spinner. I bought her a matching one with rollers on it that can be hung on the larger one and will fit under the seat

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.