Does Delta ever price match?

Old Jul 23, 15, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

Does Delta ever price match?

We are fighting our way through trying to book RT RDU-CPT, Nov 6-8 return Dec 3-5. Price is an issue. As two senior citizens (ages 72 and 59), we hoped to avoid very long layovers (8-10 hours), but that does not look possible at this point. And yes, we travel in coach.

Our preferred airline is Delta. Even though we are only low level FF, they have treated us VERY well when cancellations have occurred. We find their flights and service to be perfectly fine, sometimes excellent. We each have maybe 56,000 miles on our accounts, so I do not think that is going to do us any good on this itinerary.

Here's my question: I am finding other airlines with cheaper flights. Quite a bit cheaper. I am also getting quotes from ASAP Tickets (airconcierge.com) that include those Delta flights at a greatly reduced price than what Delta.com is offering. I DO NOT want to purchase tickets from ASAP, especially for a complex itinerary that requires changing planes twice.

Does Delta ever price match what is offered by other airlines or a travel agency like ASAP?

(stupid question, maybe. But I've NEVER had such an awful time finding flights before!)
Old Jul 23, 15, 2:04 pm

Programs: DL, Hilton, SPG, National
No.

Those are likely consolidator fares - with heavy restrictions.

The one option would be to look at the exact flights on that site that are cheaper and see if you can manually piece them together and see how they price out. But it's almost certain that you won't be able to as they are probably consolidator fares and won't be sold on delta.com.
Old Jul 23, 15, 2:07 pm

Programs: DL DM
In my experience they do not price-match. It wouldn't hurt to call and ask though.

I think it would be helpful if you posted some of the flights and prices you are getting. Some of our more astute fare finders might be able to help

On another note, as long as you make it to your flights on time, I wouldn't worry about issues with delays and missed connections. I don't think Delta will treat someone on a consolidator fare differently in those cases. I could be wrong though.
Old Jul 23, 15, 2:11 pm

DL will typically have the best "published" prices online. They are probably a consolidator and the true cost of the ticket is masked. It isn't a bad thing it's just that I think you don't get the same MQM/MQD earnings as you would on a published fare
Old Jul 23, 15, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kop84 View Post
DL will typically have the best "published" prices online. They are probably a consolidator and the true cost of the ticket is masked. It isn't a bad thing it's just that I think you don't get the same MQM/MQD earnings as you would on a published fare
I've been told by others on this forum that if we have problems with delays or cancellations, we'll have to go through the travel agency (who I agree is a consolidator). That Delta won't do much to help us. Reviews of ASAP Tickets (aka AirConcierge.com) online indicate that there have been some serious issues with the tickets they are offering.

Is there a specific forum for help with finding fares? The other thread that I started contains some suggestions, but maybe I put it in the incorrect board? Here is the other thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...ld-you-do.html
Old Jul 23, 15, 2:42 pm

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
As others have said, Delta will price match using their "best fare guarantee", but it does come with caveats (https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...guarantee.html) If ASAP Tickets is a consolidator, and the fare they are offering is a consolidator/wholesale fare, then they won't match. Also, to use the guarantee, you need to find the exact same itinerary in the same fare class - I have yet to find a situation like this. Good luck!
Old Jul 23, 15, 3:02 pm

Programs: DL
The best fare guarantee is useless. I have yet to see any evidence that it is actually possible to use this based on the terms and my prior attempts (rock solid). Please if anyone has gotten a $100 certificate, post!

If you find the same fare cheaper somewhere else and book with Delta you're taking a big chance of getting nothing, especially since the BFG reply time could be greater than 24 hours. In fact Delta doesn't have a pre-purchase price match, only post-purchase. So if you can't use a 24-hour cancel or refund, then you're stuck.

For example, I verified the fare difference prior to booking on delta.com and priceline.com, in the same fare class, for the same dates. The difference remained all day and corrected the next day. They wouldn't give me a $100 credit as they promise since oh, the ticket price "changed" within the day. Yeah, okay, it sure did...

Thank you for contacting Delta Air Lines regarding your Best Fare
Guarantee claim.

Thank you for letting us know about this lower fare. Delta introduced a
new, lower fare after you purchased your ticket today. We will be happy
to refund the difference of $20.00 to your credit card. Additionally,
it may take up to two billing cycles to show up the refund amount on
your credit card statement.
So the BFG is useless because:
Delta must be able to verify the lower online published fare at the time of the claim. Other methods of verification (e.g., fax, screen prints) are not eligible. A $100 Delta voucher will not be provided if the lower fare is on delta.com or the Fly Delta app.
This means that DL's website can correct the fare then validate it was just a fare price reduction. It's just a less convenient step than a risk-free cancel and rebook.
Old Jul 23, 15, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Spire, others
Originally Posted by paul21 View Post
The best fare guarantee is useless. I have yet to see any evidence that it is actually possible to use this based on the terms and my prior attempts (rock solid). Please if anyone has gotten a $100 certificate, post!

If you find the same fare cheaper somewhere else and book with Delta you're taking a big chance of getting nothing, especially since the BFG reply time could be greater than 24 hours. In fact Delta doesn't have a pre-purchase price match, only post-purchase. So if you can't use a 24-hour cancel or refund, then you're stuck.

For example, I verified the fare difference prior to booking on delta.com and priceline.com, in the same fare class, for the same dates. The difference remained all day and corrected the next day. They wouldn't give me a $100 credit as they promise since oh, the ticket price "changed" within the day. Yeah, okay, it sure did...

So the BFG is useless because:
This means that DL's website can correct the fare then validate it was just a fare price reduction. It's just a less convenient step than a risk-free cancel and rebook.
According to the words, Delta has to be able to verify *at the time of the claim*. That doesn't say "at the time Delta gets around to looking at it".
Old Jul 23, 15, 8:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Bottom line is that there are substantial risks in consolidator tickets, not the least of which is that they generally have $0 value with no credit if cancelled and are completely unchangeable. There is a reason that they are cheaper and they represent good value to some people.

But, it sounds as though you are looking for a trouble-free trip. Put simply, book either through DL or through a reputable TA whom you or others you know and trust regularly use and who have a physical office where you live/work.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: