ATL Future Lounge Landscape

Old Jul 21, 2015, 7:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat, buys Spirit tickets at the airport ticket counter ;-)
Lightbulb ATL Future Lounge Landscape

Curious to get everyone's thoughts on what we might expect in the lounge arena with QR and TK launching service next year.

Both of them are known for their product and customer experience. Will they just use the 'Club at ATL', which is marginally better than the F SC and already very crowded with BA and LH passengers, or will we see the addition of a ME3 club or Amex Lounge maybe?
Old Jul 21, 2015, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
As much as I'd love it, I can't imagine that Amex would open a Cent Lounge at ATL, due to the Amex/DL relationship.

Doing so would put them in competition with the DL SkyClubs that own ATL, and provide another, very nice lounge option for people not flying DL.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
I cant imagine they would open a lounge until the route proves to be a good one for them. If they do I guarantee it will raise the bar in ATL for the club experience.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 8:00 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
Originally Posted by gooselee
As much as I'd love it, I can't imagine that Amex would open a Cent Lounge at ATL, due to the Amex/DL relationship.

Doing so would put them in competition with the DL SkyClubs that own ATL, and provide another, very nice lounge option for people not flying DL.
I wish AMEX would open Centurion Lounges everywhere! I know it's not going to happen but it sure would be nice!
Old Jul 21, 2015, 8:08 am

Programs: Delta, Hilton, Hertz
I know I'm in the minority here. But I don't even see the viability of lounges anymore. They are expensive. Many charge extra for drinks. Many don't have real food. Most are over-crowded. Most airports have high quality restaurants and watering holes these days. What's still drawing all of you?
Old Jul 21, 2015, 8:14 am

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
I would be shocked if QR or TK open their own lounges at ATL. TK has lounges only in Istanbul, and QR currently has lounges only in DOH and LHR (the QR "lounge" at DFW is operated by The Club and is just a dedicated section of a third-party lounge). If either carrier decides to open a new lounge, ATL is not going to be next on the list.

Last edited by lamont2718; Jul 21, 2015 at 7:48 pm
Old Jul 21, 2015, 8:21 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by micstatic
I know I'm in the minority here. But I don't even see the viability of lounges anymore. They are expensive. Many charge extra for drinks. Many don't have real food. Most are over-crowded. Most airports have high quality restaurants and watering holes these days. What's still drawing all of you?
I get access to lounges through Amex Platinum (i.e., DL Skylubs and Priority Pass).

The gate area tends to be crowded and noisy, so to sit down and read or get work done on my laptop, I go to a lounge.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 8:23 am

Most (good) airport restaurants are crazy overcrowded too, worse than lounges, frequently with a wait just to get in. Plus, you get 'seated' usually, at a place of someone else's choosing, not your own, and then you frequently wind up wedged into an awkward spot avoiding eye contact from the person who was just seated uncomfortably close to you. Then you have no power, no ability to take a phone call if needed, etc.

At least in a lounge you have control over where you are seated and 90%+ of the time I can still wedge myself into a spot with at least some personal space that is conducive to getting some work done. Bad as they are, a lounge still beats an airport restaurant the vast majority of the time for me.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Space to work (often with a desk), generally reliable wifi, and access to arguable better CS agents with shorter lines when necessary. Food/drink are the least of my concerns - most of the time I just want some water or a coffee.

Plus, if you're accessing with something like an Amex Platinum or actual membership and fly even moderately, the per-visit cost is not bad: $450 AF for Amex less $200 fee credit, 75 segments a year, use lounges for 1/3 of those = $10/visit. And that's ignoring other card benefits. Many people, including myself, use lounges far more than 25x/year.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 8:44 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by woodford02A
Curious to get everyone's thoughts on what we might expect in the lounge arena with QR and TK launching service next year.

Both of them are known for their product and customer experience. Will they just use the 'Club at ATL', which is marginally better than the F SC and already very crowded with BA and LH passengers, or will we see the addition of a ME3 club or Amex Lounge maybe?
Did LH close their lounge? If so, seems like a bad move in their part.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by krlcomm
I wish AMEX would open Centurion Lounges everywhere! I know it's not going to happen but it sure would be nice!
I agree! I'm curious if anyone has knowledge of this. Are the lounges operated at a loss for AMEX? The point of my question is how they can operate such a nice lounge with vastly superior offerings compared to any US carrier's lounge. For less money too!

They have to operate them at a loss, right? Otherwise the airlines are just being horribly cheap. That can't be true, can it?
Old Jul 21, 2015, 9:21 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by lamont2718
I would be shocked if QR or TK open their own lounges at ATL. TK has lounges only in Istanbul, and QR currently has lounges only in DOH, LHR, and DFW. If either carrier decides to open a new lounge, ATL is not going to be next on the list.
This.

I have not been in The Club, but it looks pretty comparable to what TK and QR use at the out-stations I've been at. Any dedicated lounge at ATL would seem highly unlikely anytime in the near future.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 9:27 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by jacobac00
I agree! I'm curious if anyone has knowledge of this. Are the lounges operated at a loss for AMEX? The point of my question is how they can operate such a nice lounge with vastly superior offerings compared to any US carrier's lounge. For less money too!

They have to operate them at a loss, right? Otherwise the airlines are just being horribly cheap. That can't be true, can it?
Amex is desperate to retain cardholders, particularly premium cardholders. I wouldn't be the least bit shocked to find they run the clubs at a loss.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 9:57 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
The LGA and SFO Centurion Clubs are located to provide service to UA and AA AMEX cardholder who lost access to the airline clubs. I haven't been to the other locations but imagine it's much the same.

It's geared to AMEX Platinum and Centurion member with others paying a fee which at $50 apiece, most likely offsets the actual cost of what they consume.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 11:04 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
What's still drawing all of you?
Access to empowered customer service agents in the case of IROPS. About once a year, things go wrong in a spectacular fashion, and being able to talk to someone in person beats even the Diamond line (particularly when a ticket is stuck under airport control).

In particular, there's no better feeling than explaining the situation, having the lounge agent get to work on fixing it, and relaxing in the lounge in the interim until I'm paged with new travel plans. (Or, more accurately, calling my family and colleagues to tell them I'm stuck )

This also holds true with other airline partners. In particular, KLM and Virgin Australia are two airlines where "Not Possible" is the mantra of their ordinary customer service, but where DL elites are treated extremely well by lounge staff.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.