Nested tickets

Old Jun 9, 2011, 9:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
nested roundtrips

Would this count as 3 roundtrips for making platinum on that targeted offer?

Would DL get pissed off about them being nested rt?

Could they cancel all 3 itineraries and strand me?

A and B are far apart. B and C are near each other

A --> B on Day 1 (~$300)

B ---> C ----> B on am Day 2 (~$100)

B -->C----->B in pm Day 2 (~$100 )

B --> A
(day 2 or am on day 3)
Old Jun 9, 2011, 9:55 pm

Programs: 2 many 4 2 long.
Originally Posted by aubreyfromwheaton

A --> B on Day 1 (~$300)

B --> A
(day 2 or am on day 3)

You are 100% okay, no matter what anybody falsely tells you. However, it is my assumption that you will only do one of the B-C-B trips on day 2. Nonetheless, if you do both of thiose B-C-B trips on day 2, you are still perfectly okay. I have done the same routing types on AA and US this year.

The people who don't have any real experience or knowledge will tell you that taking any separate trip after arriving in B is wrong, but theirs is pretzel logic because they onlly travel on a non-rev basis as Delta employees, so their useful knowledge is very limited.

Just do it.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 12:21 pm

A --> B on Day 1 (~$300)

B --> A
(day 2 or am on day 3)
To the best of my knowledge, you are fine as long as there is nothing in the fare rules that prohibit what you are doing. Again, I don't know for sure, but I would think that any problems would be seen in the rules.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 12:56 pm

Programs: DL (Diamond), HHonors (Silver)
Originally Posted by Buccaneeratheart
You are 100% okay, no matter what anybody falsely tells you. However, it is my assumption that you will only do one of the B-C-B trips on day 2. Nonetheless, if you do both of thiose B-C-B trips on day 2, you are still perfectly okay. I have done the same routing types on AA and US this year.

The people who don't have any real experience or knowledge will tell you that taking any separate trip after arriving in B is wrong, but theirs is pretzel logic because they onlly travel on a non-rev basis as Delta employees, so their useful knowledge is very limited.

Just do it.
Proving that a broken clock is right twice a day, and that a blind squirrel can find a nut, Buc is correct here. But not for the reasons Buc thinks (that ticketing fraud is a legitimate practice).

You are flying every itinerary as ticketed, and using every coupon in order. No ticketing fraud there.

P.S. - I am not a Delta employee, nor have I ever been.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 8:47 pm

Programs: AA, Delta Kryptonium (DM) Hyatt Diamond IHG Fake Plat (Ambassador), HH Gold
You will be fine.

There are a few nice "status runs" available out of DTW to obtain PM. Are those close to your actual prices?
Old Jun 10, 2011, 10:38 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Aubrey - other of your posts strike me as being from a pretty conservative author.

You are fine with your flights - if they go as scheduled.

In the case or irops, your tightly nested itineraries may become overlapping causing you to miss a flight. The ones I'm worried about is the second b>c flight and the b>a flight. What would you do in the case of missing either of these???
Old Jun 11, 2011, 12:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
I have vacation that week so I do not have to urgently come home on any schedule.

If I get stuck overnight in LAX or LAS oh well.

If a flight or two doesn't pan out, then I will strive for having original routing credit (including credit for a roundtrip) or a refund.

I won't have kids in tow, or bags. I basically want to bang out 3 roundtrips for $500 and play some cards. If it works out fine, if not fine.

I'd rather try to bang them out quick then wait 4 hours per leg in the airport to be safe.

It's different than having a condo in Aruba booked for a week, and not having a backup flight available for 4 days and having 6 tix paid for and connecting in ATL during SNOWMAGGEDON
Old Jun 11, 2011, 12:47 am

Programs: |QF Platinum|HH Gold|DL Silver|ALL Silver|
Pardon my ignorance, but why would they be pissed off?

I'm planning SYD-JFK return next year, with a JFK-NCE return between the inbound and outbound. It works out cheaper than a RTW fare, is that why they may frown on it?
Old Jun 11, 2011, 1:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Supersonic Swinger
Pardon my ignorance, but why would they be pissed off?

I'm planning SYD-JFK return next year, with a JFK-NCE return between the inbound and outbound. It works out cheaper than a RTW fare, is that why they may frown on it?
from what i've read they can get angry if you do "backtoback"ticketing to circumvent fare rules, which don't apply in my case as far as i can tell
Old Jun 11, 2011, 5:49 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
If a flight or two doesn't pan out, then I will strive for having original routing credit (including credit for a roundtrip) or a refund.
Not sure how much sympathy you'll get from DL in terms or orc or a refund if you miss the first flight in an itinerary because a flight in a different, unlinked itinerary had a delay.

Good luck.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 8:37 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM/UA G MM/DL MM DM 2015/BA Silver/Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by NYBanker
Not sure how much sympathy you'll get from DL in terms or orc or a refund if you miss the first flight in an itinerary because a flight in a different, unlinked itinerary had a delay.

Good luck.
I did an A-B-A and had an A-C-A booked the day after. The B-A canceled (Mx) and I was rerouted the next day B-D-A which arrived in A an hour after the original A-C was scheduled to go. Delta rebooked my A-C-A for a day later at no charge. The also offered to fly me B-C direct but given I was moving from a vacation to a business trip, the clothing wasn't going to work.

This is not exactly the same as the OP's potential problem, my two trips had been planned a few weeks out and they weren't mileage runs. That and I am DM. I would think Delta could manage a fix without a big expense to the OP.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 9:11 am
Original Poster

partially as a result of NY Banker's pessimism err realism, and my own peace of mind, I cancelled my orig itinerary and will spend a dedicated day of shuttling back and forth, and then spend a day in the sun/tables before flying home to avoid missing the roundtrip return flight outside the nest. This will cost me an extra $30, but also allows better flight times for arriving, and less stress.

between using a cert that was given for compensation, charging the small balance on C1, and a likely $200 choice bennie, this trip nearly pays for itself as long as i rationalize any losses on gambling as "other" and not "travel"
Old Jul 25, 2011, 1:55 pm

Is this an illegal nested tickets?

I have read several threads on back-to-back and nested tickets. I am still confused. It appears that intent is an essential part of determining if it is legal or not. As in, is the intent to get around some fare rule to get a cheaper ticket; or was it an unintentional change of plans.

My daughter will be away for one year August to August. I know she will be back in December for a visit. So, I will book a ticket for her a round trip ticket as follows:

August 15, 2011 AAA - BBB
December 15, 2011 BBB-AAA

Now, if she decides to visit home for a weekend in between these two dates, then she will book a round trip ticket BBB-AAA. This is a nested (?) ticket between the same two cities. Is this legal?

Thanks.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
With ticketed travel dates fully four months apart, nobody at Delta will lift a finger. If you tried something like that two weeks apart, with something in the middle and repeated that two-ticket routine ten times within four months, it might attract attention.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 2:00 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
In theory it's illegal, but I believe the CoC specifies it's only actually illegal per the letter of the rule if the booking is made to get around fare rules. I can't honestly imagine DL's IT is sophisticated enough to pick this up if there's a couple weeks between flights.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.