Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 14, 2015, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Summary of SkyMiles Upgrade Changes

Effective Aug 1, 2015, DM's on paid fares and no companions will no longer receive complimentary upgrades JFK-LAX/SFO. Delta's reps failed to disclose this in their June 14 announcement.

For travel on or after June 1, 2016, additional fare classes are eligible for SkyMiles upgrades:
Within North American and northern South America, L/U/T fares are now eligible. (Previously only Y/B/M/H/Q/K)
For all other markets, H/Q/K fares are now eligible. (Previously only Y/B/M)

SkyMiles Upgrade Awards will also require more miles. Prices for the following markets as quoted by multiple reservations agents: (Pricing is one-way)

(current chart based on observations has been moved to this thread: Upgrading with miles)
Print Wikipost

SkyMiles July Announcements

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2015, 12:47 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by javabytes
The effects of dynamic pricing can now clearly be seen in the award booking process. Importantly, your origin now seems to impact your pricing.
How much is the $ airfare for these flights?
Old Jul 19, 2015, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Dieuwer
How much is the $ airfare for these flights?
The LAX-SYD-LAX round trip is $8528 per passenger. The SYD-LAX-SYD round trip is $6173, yet more than 2x as many miles.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 12:56 pm
Suspended

The LAX-SYD-LAX round trip is $8528 per passenger. The SYD-LAX-SYD round trip is $6173, yet more than 2x as many miles.
$8528/350,000 = 2.4 cent per Skymile. Not necessarily a bad redemption amount, although I usually strive to get a least 3 cpm.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
$8528/350,000 = 2.4 cent per Skymile. Not necessarily a bad redemption amount, although I usually strive to get a least 3 cpm.
Those aren't really the flights that are an issue...

$6173 / 750,000 = 0.8 cents per SkyMile. Worse than PWM, and unlike anything that's ever been seen for international premium cabin redemption.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 1:01 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
It is massively bad relative to historical yields!
Old Jul 19, 2015, 1:07 pm
Suspended

Those aren't really the flights that are an issue...

$6173 / 750,000 = 0.8 cents per SkyMile. Worse than PWM, and unlike anything that's ever been seen for international premium cabin redemption.
And what is Mr/Mrs. DIAMOND going to do about it? Quit flying DL?
Old Jul 19, 2015, 1:09 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
I'm not sticking up for DL but why does everyone always base their information/opinions on the LAX-SYD or ATL-JNB flights? How many people seriously travel these routes REGULARLY on AWARD tickets?
Old Jul 19, 2015, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And what is Mr/Mrs. DIAMOND going to do about it? Quit flying DL?
I know that attitude. It's just weird seeing it from someone whose username isn't colored green.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 1:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by 355F1
I'm not sticking up for DL but why does everyone always base their information/opinions on the LAX-SYD or ATL-JNB flights? How many people seriously travel these routes REGULARLY on AWARD tickets?
JFK-LHR-JFK, 6/1/16-6/8/16.

VS = 125,000 Skymiles
DL = 210,000 Skymiles
Old Jul 19, 2015, 1:14 pm
Suspended

I know that attitude. It's just weird seeing it from someone whose username isn't colored green.
What is weird is that people complain incessantly on this board, but in the end do nothing about it.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 355F1
Read the rest of my post. It doesn't seem to matter which routes. Look at TATL flights like ATL-CDG, JFK-LHR, etc.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What is weird is that people complain incessantly on this board, but in the end do nothing about it.
What I'm doing isn't relevant to this thread. But if you must know, the camel's back was broken late last year. I ran to Diamond instead of ending the year at Platinum specifically so I could status match to AA EXP in Q3 of this year after passing the date where the status is good until 2017. I'm finally reaching my endgame just as DL is finally reaching theirs.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 1:26 pm
Suspended

What I'm doing isn't relevant to this thread. But if you must know, the camel's back was broken late last year. I ran to Diamond instead of ending the year at Platinum specifically so I could status match to AA EXP in Q3 of this year after passing the date where the status is good until 2017.
I switched to Alaska. I plan to top-off my Skymiles balance for a ticket to Europe or Israel and then call it quits. I will most likely cancel my Delta AMEX at the end of July unless AMEX gives me tens of thousands of Skymiles as compensation.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I switched to Alaska. I plan to top-off my Skymiles balance for a ticket to Europe or Israel and then call it quits. I will most likely cancel my Delta AMEX at the end of July unless AMEX gives me tens of thousands of Skymiles as compensation.
Glad to see others are doing something about it too. Will it do anything? Who knows... but it's the only language DL will understand.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 3:07 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
Glad to see others are doing something about it too. Will it do anything? Who knows... but it's the only language DL will understand.
Unfortunately for everyone that leaves others come on board. I was one of the subjects of a WSJ article a few years back (WSJ misspelled my last name, lol) where a DL spokesperson actually is on record stating such. It's pitiful but it's the truth, airlines can get away with this when biz travel is up and demand is high like it is now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.