Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 14, 2015, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Summary of SkyMiles Upgrade Changes

Effective Aug 1, 2015, DM's on paid fares and no companions will no longer receive complimentary upgrades JFK-LAX/SFO. Delta's reps failed to disclose this in their June 14 announcement.

For travel on or after June 1, 2016, additional fare classes are eligible for SkyMiles upgrades:
Within North American and northern South America, L/U/T fares are now eligible. (Previously only Y/B/M/H/Q/K)
For all other markets, H/Q/K fares are now eligible. (Previously only Y/B/M)

SkyMiles Upgrade Awards will also require more miles. Prices for the following markets as quoted by multiple reservations agents: (Pricing is one-way)

(current chart based on observations has been moved to this thread: Upgrading with miles)
Print Wikipost

SkyMiles July Announcements

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2015, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by i2ad10head
It's like them telling us, "Hey we are out to screw you with the mileage redemption thing, we won't tell you by how much, but it will start in July 2016"

Gee, thanks for the advanced notice, keeps people like me confused as to whether I should keep or get rid of my miles.

Vague news is bad news...
Exactly - I'd been rounding up a decent sum of Delta miles for some late 2016 and early 2017 partner J redemptions since I figured the price couldn't get much worse in the short-term before booking since they're already the highest (albeit with some good availability on some routes I want) but seems I could be wrong, especially since I was planning to use for some holiday travel.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
the link to the new pricing for mileage upgrades doesn't work, was it live before?
Old Jul 14, 2015, 1:21 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Miles for C+ purchases

Good! I have been thinking for some time that we should earn miles for C+ purchases, glad to see they've made that improvement. Not that it matters hugely, but it seemed annoying to get 0 RDMs when we spent $120 each for C+ on a longhaul, but I would earn 820 miles for 120 dollars of fare (not tax...) on an L,U,T,X,V ticket to Denver.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 1:22 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
RUCs on TCON are a great enhancement, says this PM who will be DM again in a month. I used the old SWUs on these routes when traveling with someone. I suspect this has something to do with the heavy competition on these routes (AA, B6, VX), sort of the SM version of $600 fares.

Mileage UGs on lower fare buckets could be good... depending on the number of miles required. If it's absurdly high then what's the point? Also assumes some reasonable amount of OP/RP inventory, and/or mileage UGs clearing at the gate.

Dynamic award pricing... TBD... let's see how the numbers turn out.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 1:22 pm
Suspended

Regional Upgrades will be a Choice Benefit? As in: Regional OR Global upgrade certs?
Old Jul 14, 2015, 1:25 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Dieuwer
Regional Upgrades will be a Choice Benefit? As in: Regional OR Global upgrade certs?
They already are a CB.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 1:34 pm

Programs: Delta GM/1.5MM ~ United Silver ~ Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by sbm12
I'm impressed that the upgrade changes are getting most of the discussion and not the shift to officially call reward pricing dynamic. It isn't even tied to fare necessarily (akin to other revenue-based programs) but to some vague and unclear concept of "demand" for certain destinations. That's going to be interesting to track.
This ALL DAY LONG.

The beginning of the end of int'l J on mileage redemption. A bunch of times we've already seen ATL-SYD searches show up at 325k miles - that's going to be the price of a saver award soon.

Only real question here is partner awards and if they still allow them or if that goes bye-bye as well or if that becomes our only way of int'l J award redemption.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 1:37 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Originally Posted by Wiirachay
Business Elite Mileage Redemption

ATL-JNB
Saver: 80k
Max prior to enhancement: 175k (5/31/16 JNB-ATL)
Max after enhancement: 375k (6/1/16 JNB-ATL)

ATL-DXB
Saver: 70k
Max prior to enhancement: 162.5k (5/26/16 DXB-ATL)
Max after enhancement: 375k (6/2/16 DXB-ATL)

SYD-LAX
Max prior to enhancement: 162.5k (5/30/16 SYD-LAX)
Max after enhancement: 375k (6/3/16 DXB-ATL)

Keep climbing!
And keep in mind that 375k might not even be the max, since there isn't a big sample of post 6/1/16 dates available for sale yet. For all we know it could peak at double or triple those values.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 1:38 pm
Suspended

AMEX will face the wrath of the angry credit card holders.
You really wanna collect Skypesos for hundred years so can redeem JFK-LHR for 500,000 miles in J? Think not. AMEX will be the big loser in this.
When the annual fee comes due on my DL credit card, AMEX will be required to fork over tens of thousands of Skymiles. If they refuse, I will cancel.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 1:40 pm

I checked a few partner routes I plan on taking and I see no change to those prices for early June 2016. Who knows what the price will be like during "demand" times or how that will work. I'm hoping that Saver level continues to be standard floor and the dynamic pricing up is more like what it already seems to be (with a 100 different price levels).
Old Jul 14, 2015, 1:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Wiirachay
SYD-LAX
Max prior to enhancement: 162.5k (5/30/16 SYD-LAX)
Max after enhancement: 375k (6/3/16 DXB-ATL)
I've documented rates higher than the 162.5k you show in the past on USA-Oz. No reason to believe either of these numbers really the max yet. I know the HowManySkyMiles.com data set is incomplete, but it is likely to get worse, not better, from here on out.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 1:44 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Originally Posted by baccarat0809
This ALL DAY LONG.

The beginning of the end of int'l J on mileage redemption. A bunch of times we've already seen ATL-SYD searches show up at 325k miles - that's going to be the price of a saver award soon.

Only real question here is partner awards and if they still allow them or if that goes bye-bye as well or if that becomes our only way of int'l J award redemption.
Is Delta going to go overboard to the point where they kill off the reason to have a Delta AmEx? They've already obfuscated how much value you can get but aspirational awards are still out there if you have enough leeway on your travel dates. Get rid of that last carrot and you might as well just use a cashback card.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 1:45 pm

Programs: Delta DM/1.3MM, Marriott PP/LTP, Natl EE, Etihad Guest, FT FNG
When the annual fee comes due on my DL credit card, AMEX will be required to fork over tens of thousands of Skymiles. If they refuse, I will cancel.
Yeah, be sure to report back and let us know how that turns out . . .
Old Jul 14, 2015, 1:46 pm

AMEX will face the wrath of the angry credit card holders.
You really wanna collect Skypesos for hundred years so can redeem JFK-LHR for 500,000 miles in J? Think not. AMEX will be the big loser in this.
Same here. I was already on the fence about it but this is pushing me towards canceling and moving more of my spending to other places where I can get better rewards value.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 1:48 pm

I wonder how the price of SkyMiles to Amex has changed over the last two years. Surprising that sign-up bonuses really haven't come close to keeping pace with the inflationary value of SkyMiles. Although we did see Amex offering 10k referral bonus on SkyMiles, which I don't believe they'd done in the past. Maybe the result of fewer sign-ups.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.