Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Preferred Seating Enhancement?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2015, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Preferred Seating Enhancement?

I am a DM and I decided to book a flight for a non-status friend for myself and my friend for the weekend using miles. I first booked the flight on the app and was going to go and select seats after check out and it showed that there was none available.

With redemption being 12,500 miles one way I was curious to be able to get get a "low" mileage ticket without any seats available on my flight. When I just did a dummy booking on the Delta site, I saw that there were many seats available on the flight, but they were all considered "preferred" seats.

When I logged into my account online, I was still not able to select the preferred seats as they were not showing up online as well as the app. Is this a new enhancement on the horizon or a problem with delta.dumb?

Any ideas?
Old Jul 14, 2015, 10:42 am

If you were attempting to book non-status friend's ticket separately you will not be shown the available Preferred seats as that is only eligible for purchase (for a fee) at check-in to those without status
Old Jul 14, 2015, 11:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You should call the DM line and ask to have your itinerary linked to that of your friend. They ask to book preferred seats together. IIRC it's an unpublished courtesy, but elites have been able to bring one person not on the same PNR into preferred or EC/C+ seats for free.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 11:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nystateofmind
If you were attempting to book non-status friend's ticket separately you will not be shown the available Preferred seats as that is only eligible for purchase (for a fee) at check-in to those without status
I had us booked on the same itinerary with 2 tickets being redeemed at the same time and on the same PNR. I ended up calling the DM line and they assigned us seats but found it odd to not be able to do it online like I have done numerous times in the past
Old Jul 14, 2015, 11:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Xu Guan
I had us booked on the same itinerary with 2 tickets being redeemed at the same time and on the same PNR. I ended up calling the DM line and they assigned us seats but found it odd to not be able to do it online like I have done numerous times in the past
Then call or tweet to get seat assignments. With a nonelite on the PNR, you might not be able to do this online. It might help to add your friend's DL FF number to his/her reservation. [DL requires this for companion upgrade eligibility.]
Old Jul 15, 2015, 9:34 pm

Programs: Former PM now a kettle :(
I have done it before online as a PM. Just another "enhancement"
Thanks RA
Old Jul 16, 2015, 7:19 am

Did your companion have a Skymiles account on the record?
I know no accrual on a mileage ticket but I wonder if the P seats might (online at least) require an account attached to each person just like complimentary upgrades for companions?

No clue if this is the case or not but a theory.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.