Wiki Posts
Search

DL Pilots Vote Down Contract

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2015, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

From Airline Pilots forum

97%, or 10,713, of eligible pilots voted.

35%, or 3766 voted in favor of the tentative agreement.

65%, or 6947 voted against the tentative agreement.
According to the board it's the first time the DL pilots have rejected a DL contract. At 65% it's a pretty stunning turn of events. I actually thought it would pass by a small margin.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 1:44 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
great day for the DL pilots
Old Jul 10, 2015, 1:51 pm

Programs: DL PM / SPG Gold

Any intel on the sticking points? Is the Union leadership that out of touch with the membership?
Old Jul 10, 2015, 1:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
I guess the honeymoon is over. Too bad, 86 years of good management and employee relationships down the drain.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 1:55 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dgilman
Any intel on the sticking points? Is the Union leadership that out of touch with the membership?
in a nut shell, yes. It was filled with concessions in a time of record profits.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 2:11 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by apolloms
in a nut shell, yes. It was filled with concessions in a time of record profits.
In other words, DL is trying to treat its pilots like its customers?
Old Jul 10, 2015, 2:16 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by dgilman
Profit sharing, mostly. It would have set a bad precedent for labor elsewhere in the company and at other carriers during a time of record profits. Scope (JV and DCI), sick leave and scheduling were issues too.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 2:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by EWR764
Profit sharing, mostly. It would have set a bad precedent for labor elsewhere in the company and at other carriers during a time of record profits. Scope (JV and DCI), sick leave and scheduling were issues too.
I could understand cutting the profit sharing since the pilot group receives a significantly higher salary than the other employee groups.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by EWR764
Profit sharing, mostly. It would have set a bad precedent for labor elsewhere in the company...
Pilots are the only major work group with union representation at DL. The profit sharing formula and benchmarks for other employees can be changed with nothing more than a press release.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 2:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by mudpuppy
In other words, DL is trying to treat its pilots like its customers?
And Medallions and those trying to spend $kyRubles. Fun times ahead! ^
Old Jul 10, 2015, 2:49 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
So next steps are to come up with a new agreement I guess. They have time, however. IIRC the current contract is good for a while (a few months at least).

There seems to be a large-ish contingent looking to replace ALPA. Could this vote be an attempt to move that forward (in addition to disagreeing with the terms of the contract)?
Old Jul 10, 2015, 2:49 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
I guess the honeymoon is over. Too bad, 86 years of good management and employee relationships down the drain.
There was a close call and lots of management/union posturing in 2006/2007 IIRC. Don't know for sure, but would be surprised if this was the first agreement that was ever rejected by the pilot group.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 3:03 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
According to the union, Delta's Chief Executive Officer Richard Anderson has said, "Failure to ratify the agreement will lead to a very different and longer path that will not result in a better deal. Uncertainty will prevail, and that will not be good for anybody." Yahoo news
Old Jul 10, 2015, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

Major sticking points, IMHO based on reading the airline pilots forum:

1) Joint Venture - DL has been out of compliance with pilots over the TATL JV. Which requires parity in terms of seats flown. DL's solution was to change to flights flown (meaning a 757 would count the same as a A380.) They also wanted to exclude VS from TALT calculation.

2) Sick Leave - DL wants the pilots to use a verification service and no longer wants to accept sick notes from minute clinics. After a pilot hits a certain number of days sick they want access to all medical records. Captains tend to skew older so there's a lot of senior guys not too thrilled about that.

3) DL wanted to reduce profit sharing in exchange for higher wages. New profit sharing calculation would take executive bonuses out before calculating employee bonuses.

4) Changes that would make it easier to have foreign entities fly with a DL livery internationally.

What I've picked up from the forum is the current contract will remain in effect. It becomes amenable in 6 months. There's also a number of so called "me-to" clauses in the current contract that would juice wages if a competitor has a pay increase.

My personal feeling, if they didn't do the sick time thing and hadn't tried to take the executive bonuses before the rank and file they would have passed the TA.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 3:23 pm
Suspended

Foreign airlines flying with a DL livery? How could that possibly happen? I just don't see that working out. It's one thing to apply the livery to regional carriers since DL has a say in how those operations are run. But it would be very foolish for DL to allow a foreign airline to fly with their livery. I certainly wouldn't loan it to Air France given their less than stellar safety record.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.