New VDB Policies

Old Jul 2, 2015, 1:57 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by lking
Are you saying that one has to agree to give up their seat, actually give up the seat, THEN, find out what they are going to get rebooked on? Simply stated: one agrees to a dollar amount and also agrees to be put on whatever flight?

In the other situation where one agrees to volunteer their seat at OLCI, will this be the same "rule?"

In other words, you're agreeing upfront to take whatever is handed out both in dollars and in flights, make sense?
No. I've had it done each way in the past.

What is no longer going to happen: The flight is very oversold. You get to the gate, volunteer, are given your new BP for the other flight and your compensation, and leave the gate long before your original flight's door close.

What will happen going forward: You volunteer and are asked to not board. You know the compensation and are told what flight you will be on if you're unable to board the present flight, but until that flight's door closes, you will not be issued the new ticket or compensation. If your seat is not needed, you will board your original flight.

You will know the compensation before you choose not to board. In some cases, the compensation may possibly increase if additional volunteers are needed and they agree to more $$$. That's what has usually happened in the past.

FWIW, IMO Gift Cards are a huge win, so long as these are the same amount as the previous vouchers. Gift Cards are easier to use, can potentially be used for something other than flights and might be combinable. At worst, there will be no difference.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 2:09 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by mpheels
I can easily see Delta offering different amounts for different types of cards - highest tier for Delta cards, middle tier for retailer-specific cards, and lowest tier for cash equivalent cards.
I was wondering how a harried GA might handle this. They would hafto feel like a huckster on the PA system . . . .

You can hava $400 Delta gift card, or, $200 Macy's, or, $250 Starbucks, or, Visa $100, or . . . .

But, BUT, BUT . . . . THIS would solve that!

I hafto learn PhotoShop!

Old Jul 2, 2015, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by lking
Are you saying that one has to agree to give up their seat, actually give up the seat, THEN, find out what they are going to get rebooked on? Simply stated: one agrees to a dollar amount and also agrees to be put on whatever flight?

In the other situation where one agrees to volunteer their seat at OLCI, will this be the same "rule?"

In other words, you're agreeing upfront to take whatever is handed out both in dollars and in flights, make sense?
No, the agreement was for (in this case) $800 card-of-my-choice, and rebooking on a stated flight (the next nonstop, in this case).

They just couldn't actually do it until after the flight closed, which meant that a rebooking on a connection leaving around the same time was not possible.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 2:10 pm

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Originally Posted by CJKatl
FWIW, IMO Gift Cards are a huge win, so long as these are the same amount as the previous vouchers. Gift Cards are easier to use, can potentially be used for something other than flights and might be combinable. At worst, there will be no difference.
The LAST thing I want is a $1200 gift card to Amazon or TGI Fridays. It is just something I could lose. Much more of my spending goes towards travel than retail stores to buy more crap. I MUCH prefer Delta $$'s.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
No option for Delta voucher. Amounts are the same.

The GA said that previously, the gift cards weren't available until the higher amounts (starting at $800). Now they're the only option at any amount.

The only reason that the Amex card doesn't dominate all the others (since all those places take Amex) is that it expires in 6 months.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pgh234
The LAST thing I want is a $1200 gift card to Amazon or TGI Fridays. It is just something I could lose. Much more of my spending goes towards travel than retail stores to buy more crap. I MUCH prefer Delta $$'s.
So get an Amex gift card and spend it on Delta.

It has the advantage that it isn't limited the way vouchers are (e.g. you can buy a ticket for anybody using it).
Old Jul 2, 2015, 2:28 pm

Programs: Delta DM 3+MM
sethb and CJKatl

Sounds good. thanks for the clarifications.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 2:34 pm

Programs: Delta, United
The retailers are probably offering the cards at a slight discount because people will spend more than the amount on the card. Plus each years billions of cards are not used so free money for the retailer.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 2:48 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
When I took a VDB in JFK last fall for a sizeable amount ($1000 IIRC), I elected to be compensated with the Amex gift cards. The process was painless, and I received them in the mail within 2 days or so. Basically, the "voucher" was issued, then the agent filled out a web form with my contact information and the "voucher" number, which triggered an e-mail to me allowing me to select the type of card I wanted.

The downside of choosing this compensation method is denomination: the gift cards were issued as four $250 Amex cards with a 6 month expiration date, making using them awkward at retailers that don't allow split transactions.

I spent mine mostly on short-haul purchases on Alaska Airlines, and then drained the remainder of each card by adding the balance to my Amazon.com account's gift card balance to ensure I got the full value.

10/10 would choose again. I'm always hesitant to take the Delta Dollars - not because I won't use them, but because they cancel the 24-hour risk free policy and can't be combined. This way, I can still put the amount towards future travel - it's just a shell game where I buy everyday purchases with the gift card and then airline travel with my points-earning credit card.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 2:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
An Amex card is functionally cash. If you want to spend it on DL, spend it on DL. If you want to buy groceries, buy groceries. The 6-month expiration should not bother because the use is not limited.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 2:52 pm

This actually seems like a customer friendly move. Color me
Old Jul 2, 2015, 3:04 pm

Deleted. Already stated on this page.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 3:09 pm

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Originally Posted by BenA

10/10 would choose again. I'm always hesitant to take the Delta Dollars - not because I won't use them, but because they cancel the 24-hour risk free policy and can't be combined. This way, I can still put the amount towards future travel - it's just a shell game where I buy everyday purchases with the gift card and then airline travel with my points-earning credit card.
In my experiences, using the 24-hour Risk Free Cancellation results in my voucher simply reappearing in my wallet.

Also...can the AMEX gift cards be combined for DL purchases (i.e. 4ea $250 cards)? I am imagining not.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 3:09 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by BenA
I'm always hesitant to take the Delta Dollars - not because I won't use them, but because they cancel the 24-hour risk free policy
Huh?!? Wha?!?

I've never had to canx a ticket I purchased with a DL ECV, but, I have asked, and was told that if I did canx within the 24 hours, the ECV$$$ go right back to the ECV and the funds are available immediately.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 3:12 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM, AA Gold MM, Hilton LTD, Marriott LTP, Hertz PC
In November last year they offered $1,300 in either Delta voucher or the gift cards choices. As mentioned earlier, the Amex gift cards come in $250 increments. In my case they sent me 5 x 250 and one 50 dollar cards.

Had them within a few days.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.