LAX to SFO daily commute

Old Jun 28, 15, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

LAX to SFO daily commute

Hi all,

I live in the northeast right now, but will be moving back to CA for a fellowship in the spring of 2016. Unfortunately, the fellowship is in the Palo Alto area, and housing is ridiculously expensive.

I was born and raised in LA, and the majority of my family still lives in the area.

Anyone have any experience with commuting from LA > SF on a daily basis (3-5x a week). I can find tickets for 120$ RT on Delta, but wonder if there is anyway to do discounted bulk purchasing (havent found info online).

Out of curiosity, do you get discounts as a SkyBonus member?

I'm looking at 16 flights a month, and trying to see if I can get the total monthly expenditure down to < 1500 month ($95 /RT).

It would also be easier if I could buy these in bulk, and not have to go through the purchasing process for each one.

Any advice on the issue would be appreciated.

(no, the company can not help me, or can I use their travel department)
(advice, on not doing the commute is not helpful, as there are other family-related extenuating circumstances which require my presence in LA )

Thanks again!

-a
Old Jun 28, 15, 12:25 pm

Programs: DL DM 4.4 MM MQM Marriott Ambassador Lifetime Titanium
Also look at SJC

Fewer flights but it might be cheaper and it is far easier to navigate in and out of the airport than SFO
Old Jun 28, 15, 12:53 pm

Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by hnewman View Post
Fewer flights but it might be cheaper and it is far easier to navigate in and out of the airport than SFO
Also, SFO is delay prone, SJC is not.

If you want to cut down housing costs, you can rent a tent and stay in someone's backyard: http://sf.curbed.com/archives/2015/0...e_bay_area.php
Old Jun 28, 15, 1:00 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold
This doesn't actually exist yet but seems to be up your alley

http://www.onego.com/

Also, loyalty programs like Virgin America and Southwest essentially amount to a % rebate towards future travel. Virgin America has a small business program where if you spend $20k a year in travel they rebate you an additional 2% towards future travel.
Old Jun 28, 15, 1:05 pm

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
Obviously, Delta isn't going to pay much mind to a customer taking 16 flight a month for <$1500.

I don't think you'll do much better with any sort of negotiations. The best bet is to create an LLC and negotiate a small biz discount with a Delta sales rep. I was commuting *weekly* to LA for 6-8 months (from SEA) and our company deal got me 2-3% off the lowest available rate. It was roughly the same across all routes, including monthly paid business class to MNL.

Not the advice you are looking for, but I think this proposition of daily roundtrips would add up to a miserable lifestyle. Going out of LA is just no fun. Are you going to park a car there? The parking or rental shuttle experience is miserable. And Ubers to the terminal door will add up quickly.

If it were me, and extenuating circumstances required me in LA a lot, I'd look into getting an airbnb room (not even a full apartment, but a room) for something like Mon/Tue/Wed nights and commute Monday-Thursday. No doubt you can negotiate a rate with the owner that would be better than all of those flights... and you can keep your sanity. (And once you find a "regular" crash pad that suits you, the owner will give you a better deal and you can circumvent the platform.)

Not knowing about the extenuating circumstances, it isn't like you'd have much time in LA to tend to them in the hours between the back-to-back flights days.

Edited to add: You are a great candidate for SurfAir. I would strongly consider that if in your shoes. I can introduce you to a founder if you hit me up with a PM.
Old Jun 28, 15, 1:43 pm

Programs: Biscoff Medallion, A-Hole Preferred
In addition to considering SJC, also consider the other airports around LAX. You may live closer to Burbank, Long Beach, or Santa Ana.
Old Jun 28, 15, 2:23 pm

Programs: delta dm
This is almost as good as the guy who wanted to fly his kid from tampa to orlando for a college break....just dont live in palo alto live in a cheaper suburb get a roomate etc trying to commute daily from la is a ridiculous joke
Old Jun 28, 15, 4:43 pm

Programs: DL, AA, UA, WN
Originally Posted by Meowzer View Post
Any advice on the issue would be appreciated.
You might want to consider Surf Air. It's a little more expensive than you're shooting for ($1,000 sign up plus $1,750 per month), but if you're part of it, travel is unlimited systemwide. They fly to San Carlos , which is fairly proximate to Palo Alto if you have a way to get between the two, from multiple southern California airports. Depending where in the Los Angeles area you'd be, you might find any one of Burbank, Hawthorne, or even Carlsbad convenient. If there's any potential to make some leisure trips elsewhere in the network, that would just be a bonus.

While a bit more expensive than you hoped, the benefit of avoiding TSA at a major airport twice per day might be worth it. They fly out of FBOs at the smaller airports instead. At one point they had a waitlist to join, I don't know if that's still the case.
Old Jun 28, 15, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions everyone; apparently this is a thing,
www.surfair.com

Last edited by Canarsie; Jun 28, 15 at 7:52 pm Reason: Removed personal attack.
Old Jun 28, 15, 5:07 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Maybe think about flying Southwest. Currently, their advance purchase fares are $63 off peak days and $73 peak days, and they frequently have specials, but, on the occasion that you have last minute changes to your plans or needs, you'll never lose a penny since there are NO penalties when you cancel their tickets. The full amounts you pay are good for a year from the date of original purchase. Also, there appears to be 10 flights a day in each direction, so there's a good selection of flights.
Old Jun 28, 15, 6:11 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Finding a roommate or two would make things a whole lot cheaper than trying to fly back and forth every day.
Old Jun 28, 15, 6:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Why mess around with airlines? Fly private!

http://www.surfair.com/

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...ry.html#page=1

Pay $1,750 a month. Fly as much as you want. Arrive a few minutes before takeoff. Park for free. Forget TSA security; you don't even need an ID to board. And then get comfortable — on this fast-rising California airline, every seat is both a window and an aisle.

"I work between Palo Alto and L.A. and it's awesome. It's convenient, fast and allows me to be sporadic: I can fly back down tomorrow if I want," venture capitalist Will Agramonte, 25, said during his weekly Surf Air flight from Hawthorne to San Carlos recently. "I've never flown first-class before. I went from coach to this, which is like private."
This might actually work for you. San Carlos is only a few miles from Palo Alto.

Let us know if you choose this.

Safe Travels,

Doc
Old Jun 28, 15, 6:40 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Originally Posted by Meowzer View Post
I'm looking at 16 flights a month, and trying to see if I can get the total monthly expenditure down to < 1500 month ($95 /RT).
Originally Posted by Doc Savage View Post
If $1500 was your goal and this is $1750, the no parking/TSA would make it worth it to me.
Old Jun 28, 15, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by andymo99 View Post

Edited to add: You are a great candidate for SurfAir. I would strongly consider that if in your shoes. I can introduce you to a founder if you hit me up with a PM.
THIS!

A friend of mine uses it and it is an incredible service if you are running up and down the coast several times a month. Take the $250 out of you pocket if need be. As others have said the parking and time savings alone is well worth it. Surf Air has a good thing going.
Old Jun 28, 15, 6:56 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards A-List
Sounds like flying private would be best for your sanity, however if you decide to fly commercial, I would go with Southwest. You can achieve status based on segments. Though status doesn't hold the same value as it does with the Legacies, it can be helpful especially once you hit 100 segments. The campanion pass can be very nice for vacations.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: