Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Will DL Respond to B6 Mint Transcon at BOS

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2015, 10:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond + 1MM; AA Gold; UA Gold

Per multiple outlets, including TPG

(http://thepointsguy.com/2015/06/jetb...ice-to-boston/),

B6 will deploy MINT on transcon routes BTW BOS - LAX.

With DL fighting for top corporate placement in BOS, will it respond by deploying Delta ONE 757s? Does DL need to?

Last edited by finny52; Jun 23, 2015 at 11:00 am Reason: Deleted BOS-SFO reference
Old Jun 23, 2015, 10:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by finny52
Per multiple outlets, including TPG

(http://thepointsguy.com/2015/06/jetb...ice-to-boston/),

B6 will deploy MINT on transcon routes BTW BOS - SFO / LAX.

With DL fighting for top corporate placement in BOS, will it respond by deploying Delta ONE 757s? Does DL need to?
I would think they'd have to. Maybe only one flight a day, but standard F won't cut it when Mint costs the same, or even less.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 10:59 am

Programs: DL PM, HH DM, MR Gold, SPG Gold, Amtrak SP
I don't see it happening. DL doesn't fly to SFO from Boston and only has 2 non-stops to LAX a day. I doubt they would take Delta One configured aircraft off of JFK-LAX/SFO to do so.

Maybe in the winter they would have a spare 757 with delta one configuration they could use that's not running TATL or something like that but I doubt they would compete. I doubt AA or UA will either and they have more flights to LAX and SFO from Boston.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 11:01 am

Programs: Delta Platinum & MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, National Car Executive
Originally Posted by WWads
I would think they'd have to. Maybe only one flight a day, but standard F won't cut it when Mint costs the same, or even less.
Currently there are two flights a day from BOS-LAX and zero BOS-SFO. The equipment is the 738 which is very tight upfront and not very comfortable in the back with few good seats. As much as I would like it I doubt the market could justify the 767 but I bet it could support at least one 757 if not for both flights. I doubt we will see any change to SFO.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by mfFrom35K
As much as I would like it I doubt the market could justify the 767.
That would be the best way to push business TO Mint. The domestic DL 767 is a horrible airplane.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 11:07 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by avidflyer
That would be the best way to push business TO Mint. The domestic DL 767 is a horrible airplane.
I think he probably means a D1 equipped 767.

I would think that there are now enough 75S planes going around, with the last 75Es being modified, to allow for a D1 BOS-LAX flight. BOS-SFO definitely won't happen.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 11:34 am

Programs: Delta Platinum & MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, National Car Executive

Yes the D1 767s that run JFK to LAX are nice upfront and in the back. Way better than the 738s used from Boston. I have been connecting thru JFK because there are more flights and seats are better upfront and in the back. But I doubt they would fill these plans from BOS.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 1:28 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
When DL pulled BE from JFK-SEA, I remember looking at the passenger numbers and seeing that BOS-SFO and BOS-LAX were more likely to be able to support premium demand than JFK-SEA, but only to the tune of around 1 flight per day per route. Based on that, I don't think the market will support both B6 and DL, and unless DL wants to get into a capacity dumping fare war to try to push B6 off the route it seems unlikely DL will expand premium TCON service to these routes.

Put another way, these markets look good to B6 at $599 - $1099 per seat. I don't think they look as good to DL at those prices.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 1:40 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by bennos
When DL pulled BE from JFK-SEA, I remember looking at the passenger numbers and seeing that BOS-SFO and BOS-LAX were more likely to be able to support premium demand than JFK-SEA, but only to the tune of around 1 flight per day per route. Based on that, I don't think the market will support both B6 and DL, and unless DL wants to get into a capacity dumping fare war to try to push B6 off the route it seems unlikely DL will expand premium TCON service to these routes.

Put another way, these markets look good to B6 at $599 - $1099 per seat. I don't think they look as good to DL at those prices.
Indeed. I think that this market was a somewhat-premium transcon for AA but isn't anymore. And DL is a pretty new entrant into the market period. So I think it's more likely that AA and/or UA will feel the need to respond than DL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.