Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

72 hour rule for award tickets vs family emergency

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2015, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks

So next Friday we were planning to take our awesome old-skymiles-rules trip to Austrailia that I booked 11 months ago. Unfortunately my wife's mother just checked into hospice care with her long running battle with cancer. It is looking like we will have to cancel the trip. I would obviously like to wait until the last minute to cancel due to the fluidity of the situation. In your experience, does the 72 hour rule still apply in family emergencies? Or should I just bite the bullet and cancel now?
Old Jun 19, 2015, 9:20 am

Programs: Delta Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Diplomat, Hertz Chairman's Square, Avis Preferred Plus
They're decently flexible when it comes to medical emergencies like that in my experience, call the line and let them know the situation and they should be very accomdating. Condolences and best wishes!
Old Jun 19, 2015, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Yes, they have been accommodating but it is not a guarantee. If you are able to make a go or no-go decision by T-73, try to do that.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 1:12 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
One note. Though DL has been very flexible, they also talk about it being a one time exemption. So even if you get the free cancel, tha might cost you down the road.

I assume this is not a formal rule, but you would still be best acting ahead of time if possible.

Best of luck to MIL.
Old Jun 20, 2015, 4:43 pm

Programs: Recovering Delta SkyMiles Addict--Now Gold with AAdvantage
Have documentation such as a letter from hospice or her physician prepared in advance in a quickly transmittable format. I have had a sympathetic response from DL in a similar situation with my father's passing, and the agent told me that having that documentation made a difference. I extend my best wishes for your family at this difficult time.
Old Jun 20, 2015, 8:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Have documentation such as a letter from hospice or her physician prepared in advance in a quickly transmittable format.
That is really good advice. Thank you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.