Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Bumped from First Class- What should I do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bumped from First Class- What should I do?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2015, 11:13 am

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by dzflyer
100 percent positive that would have never happened on united delta customer service day in and day out gets an excellent as far as I'm concerned
back to 1998 I see
Old Jun 19, 2015, 11:51 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by jimrpa
back to 1998 I see
I'm not 100% sure, but, I think punctuation and capital letters were invented way before that!

Last edited by davetravels; Jun 19, 2015 at 12:04 pm
Old Jun 19, 2015, 2:01 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by dzflyer
100 percent positive that would have never happened on united delta customer service day in and day out gets an excellent as far as I'm concerned
Your sentence is difficult to parse , but I think you are saying that united would not have provided downgrade compensation. If so, you are incorrect. United has documented downgrade procedures, and the code is "GG OVS DOWNGRADE".

https://twitter.com/united/status/556652740223725568

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...l#post24986044

It would have been easier than OP's experience with Delta, as United has a a lookup table on downgrade compensation so it's pretty automatic.

Delta's customer care folks are good, but there is some variability in results when you call them.

David
Old Jun 19, 2015, 2:33 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, DL GM, Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by jennyb10
Thank you everyone for your help. I had a couple of exchanges with the customer service rep, which was a patronizing exchange of "we care about you, yadda yadda yadda" but refused to to credit me any miles back, as this was not their "policy".

I went on Twitter and they asked me to PM them. They couldn't help with past flight issues but told me to call a separate Customer Care number which I did. The woman there was able to get me just under 30k miles back, which was fair for the segment my parents were downgraded. My parents also have the option to trade in the flight vouchers for non-Delta gift certificates to several different stores.

Although it took much more effort than it should have, happy with the result. Thanks everyone.
Glad to hear Delta credited miles back to your account, but it's pathetic you were forced to call them out on Twitter to resolve the issue. The first customer service agent you spoke with should've taken care of this from the start. Thanks for letting us know how everything turned out.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 8:53 pm

Booked STL-DTW-AMS tomorrow in first class to DTW and D1 to AMS on an award ticket. It looks like STL-DTW was swapped to a CRJ7 sometime today and I got bumped from first to EC. Still in D1 to AMS. Should I ask for any compensation or just be grateful I got bumped on the 1 hour flight and not the 8 hour one?
Old Oct 8, 2018, 8:55 pm

Programs: DL - PM
Originally Posted by t325
Booked STL-DTW-AMS tomorrow in first class to DTW and D1 to AMS on an award ticket. It looks like STL-DTW was swapped to a CRJ7 and I got bumped from first to EC. Still in D1 to AMS. Should I ask for any compensation or just be grateful I got bumped on the 1 hour flight and not the 8 hour one?
Those aren’t mutually exclusive options. Be grateful it wasn’t the longer flight, and snag your $200 voucher for the downgrade on the short leg.
Spiff and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 9:28 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
You can call and ask to be rebooked if you really want to sit in F, though you may have an uncomfortably short layover or an uncomfortably long one.

Involuntary downgrade = refund of fare difference + $200 as noted above, though, definitely call in and get that if you want to keep your flight.

Oh, and I'd ask for original routing credit as well after the miles post, you're going to lose 250-500 MQM depending on what fare class you were originally booked in.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 9:32 pm

I'll keep the original flight, I flew STL-DTW in Y dozens of times when I had a client in Detroit, it's no big deal. Just mildly annoyed and wondering what I can get.

It's an award ticket, so I'm not sure how the fare difference works. It was 70,000 miles for the one way ticket I booked, should I expect some miles back?

And do I have to wait until all flights are completed to call? I was going to do it during my layover at DTW when I have a few hours to kill.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 9:43 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Well, if it's award ticket you don't have to worry about the MQM since you won't be earning any. If you were on a cash ticket, though, you generally have to wait until all segments on the ticket have posted before adjusting for ORC.

You can call now and get the $200 for the downgrade, which should apply to an award ticket. Not sure how they'll handle the difference in miles.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 11:44 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by t325
I'll keep the original flight, I flew STL-DTW in Y dozens of times when I had a client in Detroit, it's no big deal. Just mildly annoyed and wondering what I can get.

It's an award ticket, so I'm not sure how the fare difference works. It was 70,000 miles for the one way ticket I booked, should I expect some miles back?

And do I have to wait until all flights are completed to call? I was going to do it during my layover at DTW when I have a few hours to kill.
There is no way to calculate a partial C+/J award ticket.

70K is a good price. Agents are allowed to issue up to $200 or 10K miles (some agents/supervisors can do 20K or more), so you could ask for both, but know you likely will get $200 (unless you reroute in F) and maybe some goodwill miles if you ask nicely.

If they recalculate officially it migjt even price as 2 separate tix at todays price, which you def dont want
Old Oct 9, 2018, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
There is no way to calculate a partial C+/J award ticket.

70K is a good price. Agents are allowed to issue up to $200 or 10K miles (some agents/supervisors can do 20K or more), so you could ask for both, but know you likely will get $200 (unless you reroute in F) and maybe some goodwill miles if you ask nicely.

If they recalculate officially it migjt even price as 2 separate tix at todays price, which you def dont want
Repricing for downgrade comp is based on pricing at time of booking.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 5:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The problem is that the award ticket is a through fare. Breaking the fare and ticketing the domestic connecting flight in coach would cost more rather than fewer miles. It's the same as when one voluntarily accepts some coach segments on a business class award ticket.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 8:11 am

Thanks everyone. Another apparent equipment swap later and I’m back in first. At least I’ll know for sure once I board in about 30 minutes.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 12:02 pm

So the tl;dr or moral of story is, if you get screwed over take to social media. That will get their attention.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 8:23 am

Programs: Delta GM
I know kind of an old thread, but related enough situation to not start a new one.

Upcoming travel, 8 days out. Purchased FCM for LGA-PWM leg (purchased awhile ago). This morning, while the trip details screen shows seat assignments (2C/D), clicking into the seat map brings up the message "We're sorry but we are not currently able to assign a seat in your class of service" yada yada yada.

For reference, it's DL761 on 04JUL on a 319. A dummy booking shows that they are not selling any more seats in F.

What is likely going to happen here and what are my options? In all honesty, with the flight being so short, I would gladly take a $200 voucher for a downgrade if that happens. Should I wait a few days to see how this plays out? Reach out today? Thanks in advance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.