Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Richard Anderson among most admired CEOs by their employees

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Richard Anderson among most admired CEOs by their employees

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2015, 10:23 am
Original Poster

Talking Richard Anderson among most admired CEOs by their employees

http://www.glassdoor.com/Highest-Rat...LST_KQ0,18.htm

Richard Anderson was rated #49 in a list of CEOs who are most admired by their companies' employees. 88% of feedback about Richard were positive. He was the only airline CEO to make the list.

I've read some negative posts on here about Richard's business decisions, but I think his employee relations with the Northwest merger and improvements since then are commendable.

Last edited by Widgets; Jun 15, 2015 at 10:32 am
Old Jun 15, 2015, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
I was skeptical when Oscar came around. But, frankly, he has proved his value time and time again. Sure the environment improved which has helped their numbers but it was a pretty bad time when he came around. I am pretty sure the DL-NW merger is pretty much the model for airline mergers and from what I hear even the ones since then couldn't follow the model.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 10:47 am

Programs: Retired. Amtrak, DL (2MM, Signed up for DL FF program 2nd day offered 8/81), Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by indufan
I am pretty sure the DL-NW merger is pretty much the model for airline mergers and from what I hear even the ones since then couldn't follow the model.
I forget who the CEO was during the Delta/Western Air Lines merger, but at that time (yes, different era, different times), that merger was also considered a model. And I totally agree, the DL/NW has re-written the book on how to do a successful merger.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 10:52 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by Widgets
I've read some negative posts on here about Richard's business decisions, but I think his employee relations with the Northwest merger and improvements since then are commendable.
I would take FT assessments of business decisions with a grain of salt.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 11:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
http://www.glassdoor.com/Highest-Rat...LST_KQ0,18.htm

Richard Anderson was rated #49 in a list of CEOs who are most admired by their companies' employees. 88% of feedback about Richard were positive. He was the only airline CEO to make the list.

If you give employees lots of profit sharing money, they will admire you.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
^ I agree

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
That is a little cynical IMHO. I took a Harvard Management class recently. Although pay is important, it was only 4 out of 5 in their opinion.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I like Delta because my local leaders created an environment that makes the workplace feel like a home and my coworkers feel like a family.
Employees in other areas have told me similar things. Sometimes there's a conflict, but I love that my leaders can truthfully tell me that they will never "punish me for having a customer's or a coworker's back with moral conscience."
When I contrast that corporate culture with other airlines that I share a ticket counter with, I'm happy that I picked this airline for a career in a fun industry. Alaska is also a great company, I've heard. This was only supposed to be a part-time gig through college after all.

My manager keeps asking me where I want to go with my career and what I've been doing to get there. He's helped me a ton. This can't be the same everywhere, but I like that he isn't the type who would kill my chances of leaving his control. Other managers I've had did that.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 11:45 am

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
It's hard to argue that DL employees seem happy. I don't think it's just the profit sharing checks either. It seems like they have created a culture where employees and management are open and honest with each other and the results show. It's the opposite of when I fly UA and I see the FA's who look like they rather be anywhere else.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 12:10 pm
k2

Originally Posted by pbarnette
I would take FT assessments of business decisions with a grain of salt.
I would start by taking glassdoor.com with a grain of salt.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by k2
I would start by taking glassdoor.com with a grain of salt.
I always assume that people who post to glassdoor.com have an axe to grind with a former employer. I posted there once when I worked for a company I hated.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 2:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
I'm surprised that CVG was so happy to see him, especially after he destroyed Delta's #2 hub there.

I get that CVG didn't fit well with the addition of DTW, but try to tell that to the thousands of Comair employees that were laid off.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 2:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by WWads
I'm surprised that CVG was so happy to see him, especially after he destroyed Delta's #2 hub there.

I get that CVG didn't fit well with the addition of DTW, but try to tell that to the thousands of Comair employees that were laid off.
I think the video was of the CVG reservation center which is still intact. I doubt Richard would have the nerve to show his face at the airport.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by WWads

Was it DL's #2 hub when he took over as CEO? I thought that CVG was already being downsized when he took over.

Also, I can't say I'm sad to see Comair go. Maybe they weren't as bad as ASA, but they were pretty bad.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 2:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
Was it DL's #2 hub when he took over as CEO? I thought that CVG was already being downsized when he took over.

Also, I can't say I'm sad to see Comair go. Maybe they weren't as bad as ASA, but they were pretty bad.
Yes, CVG was still very much Delta's second largest hub when the merger took place. At its peak CVG had more flights (a little over 600) than either MSP or DTW. It's also worth noting that for years CVG was able to support markets that failed when moved to DTW (SNA, PDX(only seasonal at DTW), HTS, HVN to name a few).

Make no mistake, it was Richard Anderson that destroyed CVG and the lives of wonderful employees who worked there.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 2:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
Yes, CVG was still very much Delta's second largest hub when the merger took place. At its peak CVG had more flights (a little over 600) than either MSP or DTW. It's also worth noting that for years CVG was able to support markets that failed when moved to DTW (SNA, PDX(only seasonal at DTW), HTS, HVN to name a few).

Make no mistake, it was Richard Anderson that destroyed CVG and the lives of wonderful employees who worked there.
In all fairness, this was also the period that airlines were merging and practicing "capacity discipline." It's not surprising that some routes and flights were cut, although of course this doesn't explain all of the cuts at CVG.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.