Baggage Venting

Old Nov 7, 2018, 8:47 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Does anyone think the Delta workers are reading this forum? No, I don't think so.
So, think of it from their perspective, they've been told, that the zip tied bag is somehow "safer" for all concerned.
They don't know.
The Delta lawyers probably wrote these procedures, not bag handlers.
So, Delta has lawyer-ed up, just like about every big company in America.

While I feel sorry for your inconvenience, I really feel sorry for the Delta employees who once more have to implement procedures that are clearly not well thought out and they have to deal with it every day.
In2ishn likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 8:26 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles
Originally Posted by wxman22
Does anyone think the Delta workers are reading this forum? No, I don't think so.
So, think of it from their perspective, they've been told, that the zip tied bag is somehow "safer" for all concerned.
They don't know.
The Delta lawyers probably wrote these procedures, not bag handlers.
So, Delta has lawyer-ed up, just like about every big company in America.

While I feel sorry for your inconvenience, I really feel sorry for the Delta employees who once more have to implement procedures that are clearly not well thought out and they have to deal with it every day.
I agree with you, and I usually regret causing the Delta employees grief when they are just carrying out the policies they are given. I say “usually,” because now and then I come across someone who is clearly contemptuous of guns and gun owners, and goes out of their way to make my life as difficult as possible.

This situation is characteristic of big business, corporate America. Faceless executive types put these policies into place, require employees to enforce them, and are shielded from the ire of the customers who are offended by them. More than once, I have asked the employee (at Delta and other companies) to refer me to the person who is responsible for the policy I find objectionable, so I can take out my dissatisfaction on them, rather than the innocent employee who is just doing their job. Of course, they are never able to do that. I have fantasies about being seated next to such a person on a flight, where I would have a captive audience.

Originally Posted by Widgets
FWIW, the zip tie is applied upon arrival to try to discourage the bag from being opened at baggage claim. Pilfering isn’t really a motivation since the container is already required to be locked with a key.
The suitcase has a TSA lock, and the stories of TSA folks pilfering passenger baggage are legend. Plus, I expect that a TSA key is not all that hard to come by, particularly if you’re a baggage handler on the make. There has been one incident where a passenger used a gun from a checked bad to commit a crime at the airport. There have been numerous cases of guns being stolen from checked bags. This is a stunt for appearances, about as effective as having everyone remove their shoes at the security checkpoint after ONE guy tried to smuggle explosives onboard in his shoes.

Originally Posted by Widgets
Honestly, I don’t think anyone should care why you’re checking a bag, or what your previous police officer status is. None of that’s relevant to the process. Airlines don’t really care whether the gun is stolen, or if you’re an active duty police officer. If they did, they’d require paperwork for firearms or LEO credentials. That being said, the baggage agents shouldn’t be freaking out when you open your case at baggage claim. If you aren’t breaking any laws, it doesn’t matter if you’re a retired cop or Joe the plumber.
I agree, although I still think everyone would be better off if we focused on people, rather than things. If an airport police officer wants to talk to me about why I have a gun in my luggage, I have no issue with it. My objection is that Delta is keeping me from accessing my personal property after it has left their care. Once I pick up the bag, neither I nor my bag are Delta’s concern anymore, and any constraints they might think they need to place on my luggage should be lifted.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 8:50 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
All of this stuff is silly. From the DOT rules to individual carrier policies. There is probably less risk if nothing identifies the bag as special and the firearm is just wrapped in an old shirt and stuffed in the middle of the bag.

But this is looked at from a liability, not a practicality perspective. Liability matters because one could ship 10,000 firearms as above and have nothing happen, yet have one of them be misused and that is the end of the carrier (or something close to).

But, that is not unique to firearms or DL. A 14 YOA kid who is 6'2" and can bench press more than an Olympic athlete can't sit in an exit row while a 15 YOA who can't bench press 10 pounds can.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 8:58 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by paul21
I once checked a clear plastic umbrella that cost $5 on Delta Shuttle. It arrived undamaged.

2) Don't check a $500+ bag t Check a no-name junker over and over until it splits at the seams and replace it.
Originally Posted by houserulz77
The gist is this: Don't spend any money on a suitcase, assume things will get ruined and/or stolen; it's hopeless.
I had a DL baggage agent ask me once why I had an $X dollar bag, and gave me quite a lecture on why I should not spend money on luggage and he is tired of writing up these for DL to write a check to me etc. according to him I should only spend $10 a bag.

The question is why cant I have nice things? Maybe the problem is DL needs to be better about not slamming the crap out of bags all the time. I treat it like UPS, FedEx, etc. delivering to you. The driver does not (usually) chuck your box from 10 feet and hit your door as hard as possible.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by Often1
All of this stuff is silly. From the DOT rules to individual carrier policies. There is probably less risk if nothing identifies the bag as special and the firearm is just wrapped in an old shirt and stuffed in the middle of the bag.
The gun safes are a good idea. If nothing else, they reinforce the practice of unloading the gun and ensuring the chamber is empty. Without them, people would be wrapping loaded guns in an old shirt and throwing them in their luggage. I’m appalled at the lack of care and basic safety measures some gun owners/carriers practice. However, placing any special tags on the luggage that tends to identify it as containing a gun is irresponsible. This information could be encoded on the regular luggage tag, if needed (and I don’t know that it’s needed).

There’s a myth that checking a gun in your bag ensures it will go onto the same flight as the passenger and will be handled with special care. I’ve been flying with guns for over 30 years, and on many occasions my bag did not make it onto the same flight as me. I’ve also arrived after my bag did and found it unattended in an unsecured area of the bag claim area, having been taken off the carousel.

Originally Posted by vincentharris
I had a DL baggage agent ask me once why I had an $X dollar bag, and gave me quite a lecture on why I should not spend money on luggage and he is tired of writing up these for DL to write a check to me etc. according to him I should only spend $10 a bag.

The question is why cant I have nice things? Maybe the problem is DL needs to be better about not slamming the crap out of bags all the time. I treat it like UPS, FedEx, etc. delivering to you. The driver does not (usually) chuck your box from 10 feet and hit your door as hard as possible.
As I said in my previous post, when I traveled regularly I was going through a Samsonite-quality bag at least once per year. The airlines (usually Delta, but Lufthansa wrecked a bag for me, too) wrecked them, then offered less than the replacement cost or a cheap off-brand replacement. The Zero Halliburton bag is now 12 years old. I’ve had it repaired once—refurbished, actually—after it had been dented repeatedly. It still looks like it’s gone through a war, but it’s as solid as when it was new. I would buy another Zero Halliburton bag in a heartbeat.

I haven’t noticed that Delta is any worse about abusing bags than the other airlines. They all treat passenger luggage like crap.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 1:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by copwriter
The gun safes are a good idea. If nothing else, they reinforce the practice of unloading the gun and ensuring the chamber is empty. Without them, people would be wrapping loaded guns in an old shirt and throwing them in their luggage. I’m appalled at the lack of care and basic safety measures some gun owners/carriers practice. However, placing any special tags on the luggage that tends to identify it as containing a gun is irresponsible. This information could be encoded on the regular luggage tag, if needed (and I don’t know that it’s needed).

There’s a myth that checking a gun in your bag ensures it will go onto the same flight as the passenger and will be handled with special care. I’ve been flying with guns for over 30 years, and on many occasions my bag did not make it onto the same flight as me. I’ve also arrived after my bag did and found it unattended in an unsecured area of the bag claim area, having been taken off the carousel.

As I said in my previous post, when I traveled regularly I was going through a Samsonite-quality bag at least once per year. The airlines (usually Delta, but Lufthansa wrecked a bag for me, too) wrecked them, then offered less than the replacement cost or a cheap off-brand replacement. The Zero Halliburton bag is now 12 years old. I’ve had it repaired once—refurbished, actually—after it had been dented repeatedly. It still looks like it’s gone through a war, but it’s as solid as when it was new. I would buy another Zero Halliburton bag in a heartbeat.

I haven’t noticed that Delta is any worse about abusing bags than the other airlines. They all treat passenger luggage like crap.
I have had nothing but good experiences from DL in terms of replacement value. After the first time it was a challenge to find an old receipt I scan and save to email all my luggage receipts. When I provide a receipt DL has been good about paying the full value or giving me the exact same bag as a replacement. Sometimes they try to get me to take the crap bags they leave at the airport as a replacement and I always ask for a case number and submit online and deal with them
Old Nov 10, 2018, 7:28 am

I have had nothing but good experiences from DL in terms of replacement value. After the first time it was a challenge to find an old receipt I scan and save to email all my luggage receipts. When I provide a receipt DL has been good about paying the full value or giving me the exact same bag as a replacement. Sometimes they try to get me to take the crap bags they leave at the airport as a replacement and I always ask for a case number and submit online and deal with them
If Delta ever manages to destroy my ZH bag, I'll have to see how your experience compares with mine. It doesn't appear that Zero Halliburton sells my 26-inch ZRoller anymore, but the 26-inch "Spinner" that is their closest model to it goes for $1175 retail. I'm thinking they won't be too eager to pony up the cash for one of those.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 7:52 am

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
My experience is that Delta is better, knock on wood, but my bags wear out before they are actually damaged. I am only GM, but I make that on segments and almost always check bags, so my bags see a decent amount of handling by Delta.

I have had serious damage on other airlines when I flew considerably less than I do now. I used to connect through PHX on US Airways or America West or whatever they were calling themselves at the time, pretty much assured damage through that airport.

If I am going to do a baggage vent it is about checking 2 or more bags, all with yellow Sky Priority tags, one comes out with all the other yellow tags, but I almost always have to wait for one that comes out after a bunch that have no yellow tags. I mean maybe borderline DYKWIA, say what you will, but why give me false hope that they will come out first, only not to do it on one of the bags. It defeats the purpose, I still have to wait like everybody else, not really a Priority service.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 10:30 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC

The answer is, largely, that most damage happens in the automated baggage system underneath each airport. Manually moving bags entirely from point A to point B simply isn’t feasible in large hubs, and as a result there are elaborately designed systems of conveyor belts and automated carousels that supplement the baggage handlers’ manual handling. And automated belts have a healthy appetite for protruding wheels, tags and zippers. This isn’t any particular airline or employee’s fault - it’s a necessary evil for delivering bags on time. These systems keep getting better - some now put luggage in RFID-trackable buckets before sending it into the abyss - but it will be decades before everyone in the world upgrades, and the money has to come from the airport authorities...

Having received my fancy Hartmann gift from DL for reaching million miler, I do see some of the appeal of expensive luggage - it’s a beautifully made luxury product. But honestly, I find my TravelPro luggage to be way more practical and functional, and the Hartmann never leaves the closet: I prefer traveling with luggage that has practical features like expandable zippers and padded handles rather than aesthetic touches, and the TravelPro wheels and handles are both well encased so they don’t protrude much and repairable to resist the worst an airport can throw at it. And when it gets beaten up by the inevitable dirt, grime and scrapes from getting checked, I simply replace it with another.

I’d liken it a bit to driving a Porsche to work every day in a cobblestoned European city center: yes, you can do it, and everyone will think you’re cool..... but you should expect to pay a LOT of money to your local body shop in the process. Getting a Fiat Punto is probably a better idea, at the end of the day - less conspicuous, designed for its environment, and you’re less sad when things go wrong. You can still drive the Porsche on weekends out to your favorite winery, but it probably shouldn’t be your daily driver.

Old Nov 10, 2018, 10:41 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
I don't really understand why people are obsessed with babying their bags. The purpose of luggage is to accept abuse to protect the contents. If you're worried about getting a scratch on your bag, you should... get a cheaper bag?
pbarnette, cre95, Widgets and 2 others like this.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 10:43 am

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member

The suitcase has a TSA lock, and the stories of TSA folks pilfering passenger baggage are legend. Plus, I expect that a TSA key is not all that hard to come by, particularly if you’re a baggage handler on the make. There has been one incident where a passenger used a gun from a checked bad to commit a crime at the airport. There have been numerous cases of guns being stolen from checked bags. This is a stunt for appearances, about as effective as having everyone remove their shoes at the security checkpoint after ONE guy tried to smuggle explosives onboard in his shoes.

Are you also using your own non TSA locks on your bag containing firearms? You are supposed to. I use large heavy duty padlocks on my cases when I fly with firearms. I'm also a bit troubled by the extra tag but my gun cases I fly with look like heavy duty gun cases so I don't think the extra tag is giving away too much information.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 11:07 am

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Originally Posted by pvn
I don't really understand why people are obsessed with babying their bags. The purpose of luggage is to accept abuse to protect the contents. If you're worried about getting a scratch on your bag, you should... get a cheaper bag?
My newest Tumi set is exactly one year old, purchased at the DTW Monarch store before they closed. The roller already looks like it’s [improper use of contraction] been dragged through the Battle of the Bulge and the expansion zipper has been torn off.

It’s [proper use of contraction] why I buy Tumi, and also why I don’t sweat the damage or abuse. That’s what they’re designed for.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 5:57 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by TheHorta

My newest Tumi set is exactly one year old, purchased at the DTW Monarch store before they closed. The roller already looks like it’s [improper use of contraction] been dragged through the Battle of the Bulge and the expansion zipper has been torn off.

It’s [proper use of contraction] why I buy Tumi, and also why I don’t sweat the damage or abuse. That’s what they’re designed for.
My wife has a pair of American Tourister suitcases that are still in solid condition from the 90's! They've been everywhere and while they have plenty of marks.... they're still able to serve their purpose of getting our belongings from point A to point B
Old Nov 11, 2018, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by yohanson
Are you also using your own non TSA locks on your bag containing firearms? You are supposed to. I use large heavy duty padlocks on my cases when I fly with firearms. I'm also a bit troubled by the extra tag but my gun cases I fly with look like heavy duty gun cases so I don't think the extra tag is giving away too much information.
The original ZH bag had an integrated combo lock that TSA often wouldn't allow me to lock, as they claimed they might need to search inside. They did this on a number of occasions, evidence by the card they left inside the bag. On one occasion, after a particularly anal-retentive TSA officer insisted on swabbing the gun itself for explosive residue ("Sir, the contents of this case are positive for explosive residue!" "It's a gun. Did you expect otherwise?"), I also found the plastic wand they use to hold the swab they insert into the analyzer. I gave it back to the TSA then next time I flew, although I was at a different airport.

So, when I sent the ZH bag back to be repaired--mainly pounding out dents--I asked them to retrofit a TSA lock onto it, so I could lock the bag when I checked it.

Inside the suitcase is a gun safe, secured with an integrated combination lock.

The ammunition is removed from the gun and carried in a plastic ammo wallet, which is also inside the gun safe. Not shown in the photo is a steel cable that is attached to the gun safe and then wrapped around one of the interior braces of the bag. It's not like anyone can't get the gun or the gun safe out of the bag, but I'm going to make them work for it.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by BenA

The answer is, largely, that most damage happens in the automated baggage system underneath each airport. Manually moving bags entirely from point A to point B simply isn’t feasible in large hubs, and as a result there are elaborately designed systems of conveyor belts and automated carousels that supplement the baggage handlers’ manual handling. And automated belts have a healthy appetite for protruding wheels, tags and zippers. This isn’t any particular airline or employee’s fault - it’s a necessary evil for delivering bags on time. These systems keep getting better - some now put luggage in RFID-trackable buckets before sending it into the abyss - but it will be decades before everyone in the world upgrades, and the money has to come from the airport authorities...
I've had some luggage damaged or destroyed in the manner you describe, with handles torn off or wheels damaged. On one trip, one of my checked bags was a soft nylon duffle/sports bag. It got caught under the wheels of the baggage trolley and was shredded, with the contents distributed across the tarmac. The bag was a giveaway from a trade show and thus not valuable, but I still think that showed a lack of due care and respect for my belongings.

The biggest and most catastrophic damage incidents were evidenced by huge dents or caving in of the bag, as if the bag was struck by some heavy object moving with considerable inertia. I suspect that one of the bins that bags are sometimes loaded into had its edge rammed into the side of my suitcase. With the Samsonite-level stuff, this caves in the bag and renders it useless. Do this to a Zero Halliburton aluminum case, and you get a dent. The first few years I had the ZH case, Delta managed to crush in all eight corners of the bag to some degree. ZH managed to repair it so that it looked merely weathered.

Up until the development when Delta stopped putting my ZH bag on the carousel, I got a lot of comments to the effect of "That looks like the Sherman Tank of suitcases." I hope I've sold a few bags for ZH, as I am an evangelist for their product. Their bags are expensive, but they'll survive almost anything.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.