Sky Club Food Getting Better

Old Jun 6, 2019, 5:03 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Mashed up avocado on a whole grain bread is an great healthy breakfast. That some places charge $14 for it is crazy, but that does not mean it's a bad idea. The fat in avocado is very healthy and they are also highly nutrient dense. If you don't get a crappy piece of bread full of sugar and enriched wheat, but rather made with whole grains, you've then got good complex carbs. To me this is a great option compared to most of the other breakfast offerings at the club which tend to be either greasy or full of sugar or are, like bagels, made of simple carbs.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 11:11 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Mashed up avocado on a whole grain bread is an great healthy breakfast. That some places charge $14 for it is crazy, but that does not mean it's a bad idea. The fat in avocado is very healthy and they are also highly nutrient dense. If you don't get a crappy piece of bread full of sugar and enriched wheat, but rather made with whole grains, you've then got good complex carbs. To me this is a great option compared to most of the other breakfast offerings at the club which tend to be either greasy or full of sugar or are, like bagels, made of simple carbs.
The flip side of "nutrient dense" is "calorie dense", and avocado is pretty much the textbook definition of that. It's also comparatively low in protein to other breakfast options.

If you have a small portion of avocado toast - smaller than most people serve themselves, containing 1/4 to 1/3 of an avocado - it can pair nicely with eggs as part of a balanced breakfast. But on its own as a substitute for other breakfast foods, it's not necessarily the wisest choice.

Certainly better than bagels, but definitely not a replacement for egg-based options.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 11:17 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by BenA
The flip side of "nutrient dense" is "calorie dense", and avocado is pretty much the textbook definition of that. It's also comparatively low in protein to other breakfast options.

If you have a small portion of avocado toast - smaller than most people serve themselves, containing 1/4 to 1/3 of an avocado - it can pair nicely with eggs as part of a balanced breakfast. But on its own as a substitute for other breakfast foods, it's not necessarily the wisest choice.

Certainly better than bagels, but definitely not a replacement for egg-based options.
The American obsession with protein is waaaay over-rated, and some nutrition experts are now starting to rethink this.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 12:41 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Admirals Club member
The American obsession with protein is waaaay over-rated, and some nutrition experts are now starting to rethink this.
Anything to get us away from refined & processed foods is good to me....
Old Jun 7, 2019, 12:01 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
Obsession with protein? The pendulum has yet to swing far enough in favor of proteins.
Whole grains? The most inflammatory and allergenic substance in the worldwide diet?

Today in ATL A SkyClub was the worst spread I have ever seen:
The only two soups were vegetarian and tomato.
Tiny bowl of mediterranean chicken salad not refreshed in over 20 minutes.
Even the desserts were bland: rice krispies and sugar cookies.
Oh, and in place of the meat was 3 types of sliced bread, processed peanut butter, and apricot jam.

It's like they had all of the least expensive, lowest quality items in their rotation out today.
From now on, only E and F SkyClub for me during lunch hours. Lesson learned.
AeRoSpaceman likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 5:05 am

Programs: DL Plat
seems like skyclubs have replaced hot food options (besides soup) with the turkey aioli sandwhiches, has anyone seen a hot entree the past few weeks?
Old Jun 10, 2019, 1:50 pm

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA
Originally Posted by runningformqm
seems like skyclubs have replaced hot food options (besides soup) with the turkey aioli sandwhiches, has anyone seen a hot entree the past few weeks?
Now that I think about it I was at ATL B club last Tuesday the 4th during dinner time and soup was the only hot option. No hot entrees...
Old Jun 11, 2019, 12:04 am

SFO and LAX have been the same lately: Warm "nacho bar" with warm queso and beans. The various pre-made salads have been replaced with a "build you own" Wolfgang Puck Chinois Chicken Salad.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 5:59 am

Originally Posted by USCTrojan83
SFO and LAX have been the same lately: Warm "nacho bar" with warm queso and beans. The various pre-made salads have been replaced with a "build you own" Wolfgang Puck Chinois Chicken Salad.
not fond of the nacho bar and it seems more unhealthy than mac and cheese (which i love)

the new skyclub food changes seem to be a huge downgrade :/
Old Jun 11, 2019, 6:00 am

Originally Posted by AeRoSpaceman
Now that I think about it I was at ATL B club last Tuesday the 4th during dinner time and soup was the only hot option. No hot entrees...
wow, was hoping it wouldnt spread to atl :/
Old Jun 11, 2019, 5:40 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Previously top-tier everything, now a happy free agent
I was just at SAN this past weekend and thought these turkey aioli sandwiches were unique to just SAN (there was a sign advertising this "signature sandwich")... but I guess not?

Sandwiches were available, along with a make-your-own chinese chicken salad bar (delicious!), two au bon pain soups (broccoli cheddar, lemon chicken orzo), and then some sort of amuse bouche option which was essentially the hard boiled eggs from the morning on top of a slice of tomato with some sort of green aioli deal.

The sandwiches were quite tasty actually (had a truffle aioli), but there was SO little turkey... and the turkey was also the thinnest I've ever seen (to the point of being translucent).
Old Jun 11, 2019, 6:15 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
Originally Posted by bj27
I was just at SAN this past weekend and thought these turkey aioli sandwiches were unique to just SAN (there was a sign advertising this "signature sandwich")... but I guess not?

Sandwiches were available, along with a make-your-own chinese chicken salad bar (delicious!), two au bon pain soups (broccoli cheddar, lemon chicken orzo), and then some sort of amuse bouche option which was essentially the hard boiled eggs from the morning on top of a slice of tomato with some sort of green aioli deal.

The sandwiches were quite tasty actually (had a truffle aioli), but there was SO little turkey... and the turkey was also the thinnest I've ever seen (to the point of being translucent).
Sounds very good.
For a SkyClub in an outstation.
Where nobody else has a hub.
And people can fly any airline they want to.
No hub captives who have no other choice, or pesky connecting passengers to increase foot traffic in the club.

Never mind, that is exactly why they put out the extra effort there.
The more volume, the more cold stuff you get scoop out of bowls, instead of interesting options like you described.

The signature item at ATL "A" last week was an empty bowl where you had to guess what you just missed.
dmarge18 likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 6:37 pm

LAX T3 today was serving the new Truffle Turkey Club but they forgot the turkey.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
DTW main club had meatballs and mac & cheese yesterday.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 4:26 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by sethb
DTW main club had meatballs and mac & cheese yesterday.
Does DTW ever have anything else?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.