Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sky Club Food Getting Better

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2019, 2:07 pm

I'm kinda curious.... considering all the Delta SCs in ATL for example- They are all serving something different from each other...right? Do they have their own "personality" or intended experience??
Who exactly is cooking this stuff up? One kitchen serves all the SC clubs? How do you decide which to partake??
Old Mar 30, 2019, 2:40 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
Originally Posted by Moyerclan
I'm kinda curious.... considering all the Delta SCs in ATL for example- They are all serving something different from each other...right? Do they have their own "personality" or intended experience??
Who exactly is cooking this stuff up? One kitchen serves all the SC clubs? How do you decide which to partake??
While I have never visited all of them in the same day, I will say that lately E and F have the same food. The definitely do not have their own personality with regard to cuisine.

Huge contrast today.... ATL Conourse F this AM ... busy with high school Spring Break starting (International Pre-Check was 20-30 minute wait) and breakfast items were picked over and not replaced after 10am. 6 mismatched bagel halves, some scrambled eggs and near empty cereal. Lunch was one soup, mac and cheese and shredded chicken plus the usual cold choices.

Upon Arrival at JFK ... Variety of hot choices, Asian-inspired items (despite no nonstop to Asia on DL metal), two soup choices, rice, pork, chicken, tofu and more salad varieties. Also a Hot Dog cart.

ATL ops seem to be suffering from complacency due to a lack of competition. I would say that Sky Club food quality has peaked and headed a bit downhill in ATL as food may no longer be a point of emphasis. They do seem to emphasize having more staff standing around saying hello to everyone.
dmarge18 likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 2:41 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
Duplicate
Old Mar 30, 2019, 4:32 pm

I wonder if that will pick up next week as a bazillion people fly in to GA for The Masters? I am flying to Rome on the 15th and with a layover in ATL from AGS I am hoping to make it as calm and pleasant as possible.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 9:54 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by Moyerclan
Pretty sure each club has its own kitchen area, though I don't imagine the food is generally "cooked from scratch" in each kitchen (nor anywhere in the terminal building, for that matter -- it probably comes mostly prepared from a food service provider).

In ATL, from what I've ever seen, there seems to be the "top tier" clubs -- B, E, and F -- which have the same larger selection of food, and then a second tier of the remaining clubs with a somewhat smaller selection, especially for hot food. But if I had time and wanted to eat, I'd definitely try to go out of my way to one of those three clubs. Similarly I think JFK T4 has a bit more options than JFK T2, and DTW A-Center has more than the other clubs there. As a general rule, the club closest to the long-haul international departures is probably the best bet (although that doesn't explain ATL B).

From city to city there is a ton of variance in the food offerings, which I imagine is meant to give some variety to customers and perhaps allow for experimentation of things that may later roll out more widely. There also seems to be potentially a higher food budget in some of the higher-profile cities, like SFO, relative to places like, say, BNA.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 10:11 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Flew out of MSY at breakfast time on Tuesday. Oatmeal and toppings, grits with cheese and ham to mix in, fruit, bagels, hb eggs, pastry.
Wonder if the new club in the new terminal will have a kitchen to allow for upgraded food?
Old Mar 31, 2019, 4:27 pm

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, H.com Gold^3, lowly something on others...
I have been brain-washed by DL to think SC has good food with all the ads. I recently visited UA and AA lounges and to my shocking dismay, their food offering is nearly as good as Asian airlines and puts DL SC's to shame. AA at LAX compare to DL at LAX is like comparing a premium restaurant to Subway. UA and AA are improving at an alarming rate while DL is lagging behind.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 11:14 am

Programs: DL Diamond/1MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by bgriff

In ATL, from what I've ever seen, there seems to be the "top tier" clubs -- B, E, and F -- which have the same larger selection of food, and then a second tier of the remaining clubs with a somewhat smaller selection, especially for hot food. But if I had time and wanted to eat, I'd definitely try to go out of my way to one of those three clubs. Similarly I think JFK T4 has a bit more options than JFK T2, and DTW A-Center has more than the other clubs there. As a general rule, the club closest to the long-haul international departures is probably the best bet (although that doesn't explain ATL B).
I know it's intended to be, but ATL B is not maintained well enough to be a 'top tier' club. The bathroom is a cesspool and half broken, the buffet is consistently running low with food on the counters/floors. Not sure how it's fallen downhill so quickly unless it's just overuse (I do tend to see B as the busiest concourse).
Old Apr 1, 2019, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by dmarge18
I know it's intended to be, but ATL B is not maintained well enough to be a 'top tier' club. The bathroom is a cesspool and half broken, the buffet is consistently running low with food on the counters/floors. Not sure how it's fallen downhill so quickly unless it's just overuse (I do tend to see B as the busiest concourse).
"fallen downhill" implies it was higher up at one time, it's always been that way.

I am not sure why anyone who is actually hungry would even try to eat in a skyclub, there are billions of good restaurants right downstairs from the B club.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by wlau
I have been brain-washed by DL to think SC has good food with all the ads. I recently visited UA and AA lounges and to my shocking dismay, their food offering is nearly as good as Asian airlines and puts DL SC's to shame. AA at LAX compare to DL at LAX is like comparing a premium restaurant to Subway. UA and AA are improving at an alarming rate while DL is lagging behind.
Wait, are you comparing Flagship/Polaris lounges (which are extremely limited) to SkyClubs? I'm not sure that's a good comparison. It's certainly valid to point out that Delta doesn't have a corresponding offering, though.
krlcomm, AANYC1981 and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 12:13 am

Has anyone noticed that the far inferior T3 clubs at LAX usually have better food than the nicer club at T2? Sometimes they match but the last few visits I stopped by T2, where they had lukewarm Mac & Cheese (two flavors!) before making my way to T3, where they had a delicious taco bar. Frustrating since most nicer mainline and D1 flights depart from T2.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 12:22 pm

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, H.com Gold^3, lowly something on others...
Originally Posted by USCTrojan83
Has anyone noticed that the far inferior T3 clubs at LAX usually have better food than the nicer club at T2? Sometimes they match but the last few visits I stopped by T2, where they had lukewarm Mac & Cheese (two flavors!) before making my way to T3, where they had a delicious taco bar. Frustrating since most nicer mainline and D1 flights depart from T2.
No, they are the same... I landed in T2 and rushed in to join a conference call and then bus'ed to T3 where my departing flight is, and the food looks almost exactly the same to me. T2 is better with slightly more variety and much larger spreads. T3 is so crowded even with the newly added side lounge. I have been doing this T2->T3 or T3->T2 multiple times and the food are nearly identical.... and T2 is generally better...

I will say though, Delta does listen. I have been moaning about lack of printer in T3 since the move and they finally put in the printer/scanner several months ago.

I took a coworker in and he asked..."what are we, cows?" "why are all the veggies on top of veggies , plus sides of veggies..." He is right! The only warm food that is meat-based, is the bacon bits in the mac n cheese...

Last edited by wlau; Apr 6, 2019 at 12:33 pm
Old Apr 6, 2019, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
Wait, are you comparing Flagship/Polaris lounges (which are extremely limited) to SkyClubs? I'm not sure that's a good comparison. It's certainly valid to point out that Delta doesn't have a corresponding offering, though.
No no... Flagship and Polaris cannot be compared - they are in a different realm... I am talking about regular lounges compare to regular lounges in key hub cities. SC used to stand out but AA and US are improving at an insane rate, and not only they caught up and but they surpassed DL now.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by Weean
Have radishes been enhanced away, or was I just unlucky? First time in a skyclub since May last year.
It is sad... radishes are like the cheapest thing you can buy in grocery stores. How much lower will SC go?
Old Apr 14, 2019, 6:11 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz PC
For me, if I want a great meal, I go to a great restaurant. The Skyclub is for a quick snack and a drink. And in that department, I think they do great. I particularly like that they are not all the same- offering local/regional items in different airports, like sourdough bread and chowder at SFO, the chips and mac & cheese in SEA, the spicy chorizo at LAX, and the pork sliders in HNL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.