Wiki Posts
Search

Using Delta gift cards on orbitz?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2015, 6:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonor gold, AA, Delta, United
Using Delta gift cards on orbitz?

We recently opened several Delta Business Cards and if used for "delta purchases", we get $50 credit on each card.

In the meantime, we need to book some delta flights. Rates are the same on Delta.com and orbitz.com.

So here is the question, should I book directly on Delta.com (and make separate transactions to use one card at a time), or can I book on orbitz.com? I'd prefer latter, because I can earn/redeem orbitz bucks but not sure if 1) purchases will be recognized as delta purchases, or if not, 2) whether I can use delta gift cards on orbitz?

Thanks for any other inside tips/suggestions!!
Old Jun 11, 2015, 1:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by iwls01
We recently opened several Delta Business Cards and if used for "delta purchases", we get $50 credit on each card.

In the meantime, we need to book some delta flights. Rates are the same on Delta.com and orbitz.com.

So here is the question, should I book directly on Delta.com (and make separate transactions to use one card at a time), or can I book on orbitz.com? I'd prefer latter, because I can earn/redeem orbitz bucks but not sure if 1) purchases will be recognized as delta purchases, or if not, 2) whether I can use delta gift cards on orbitz?

Thanks for any other inside tips/suggestions!!
Do you mean DL branded AMEX or DL Gift Cards? You say Business Cards at the top, and gift cards at the bottom.

If DL Gift cards, those can only be used on DL. However you should be able to use up to 3 at a time per transaction regardless of how many tickets are in the transaction.

If you're talking about the AMEX cards, those can of course be used on Orbitz. However making the purchase through Orbitz isn't going to get you a credit. The purchase may show up as Delta on your statement, but it's really Orbitz who's doing the charging.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 12:41 pm

Programs: SPG LIfetime Plat, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Wannabe, Hilton Silver, UA Gold
Originally Posted by flyerCO
The purchase may show up as Delta on your statement, but it's really Orbitz who's doing the charging.
I'm not sure that's correct. It's not uncommon for US airlines to be "merchant of record" on purchases via an OTA such as Orbitz. Wouldn't that make the purchases eligible, as generally described by the OP? (Fine print on the cards aside).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.