Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Diverted to Home Airport..Will Delta Let me off?

Old Jun 9, 15, 3:18 pm
Formerly known as scootr29
Original Poster

Let's say you are diverted to your home airport because of bad weather at the connecting airport...will they allow me to get off the plane or will I have to sit in the plane and continue to connecting airport....
Old Jun 9, 15, 3:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It depends. If there's no jetway/gate or normally no DL service there, probably not unless DL gets very desperate. OTOH, if the three hour tarmac limit is close, DL is likely to open the door and allow folks to deplane rather than face DOT fines and bad publicity.

Checked bags could be a big problem.
Old Jun 9, 15, 3:26 pm
Used to be 'roachjl'

Programs: DL Platinum, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by SSF556 View Post
Let's say you are diverted to your home airport because of bad weather at the connecting airport...will they allow me to get off the plane or will I have to sit in the plane and continue to connecting airport....
The last time I was diverted, five people were allowed off the plane to arrange their own transportation, presumably by ground, despite strong urging against this by the pilot. I got the impression they have to let you off if you want off. The won't take your bags off, however.
Old Jun 9, 15, 3:29 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1MM, UX Suma Gold, Marriott Bonvoy™️ Gold, Hilton Gold, Avis Preferred, Hertz PC
Yes. I was diverted two days in a row on an ATL-ROA flight last Christmas... once to PIT, once to TRI. It was such a comedy of errors I was living a pretty good approximation of a Lifetime Christmas movie! In both cases, a proportion of the passengers chose to deplane and rent a car instead (or simply remain in the city) - and Delta removed their baggage upon request, time permitting.

In my experience, you usually have the option to deplane if you're diverted and the cabin door is opened at a gate. If it's a very brief stop to wait for weather to clear and the pilot may need to take off at a moment's notice, though, they are less likely to offer the option. Other situations making deplaning unlikely are arriving at an airport that isn't usually a DL station, or being diverted on an international flight.
Old Jun 9, 15, 3:41 pm

A friend of mine was once diverted from MSP to FAR - his ultimate destination but there was no gate and were not on the ground very long and he was not allowed off the plane.

But I'm with the above that if they tarmac rule is about to hit or they have to go to the gate anyway you'd likely be allowed off...if you have a checked bag YMMV on if the bag gets pulled or not.
Old Jun 9, 15, 3:44 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM (lost DM 2020) , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Tolerater, AA Hater
I would be pretty upset if I was home and they would not let me off........
Old Jun 9, 15, 3:46 pm

Programs: Delta DM / 3MM; HHonors Diamond
Just to give the "other side of the coin" story. Twice in the last 3-4 years, I have been diverted away from ATL on an originating leg to HSV (my home airport). On both diverts, the planes did not pull up to a gate and we sat to wait out the storm. Despite my requesting over and over again, I flew onto ATL and then back to HSV.

Of course, as MSPeconomist notes, if you don't get to the 3-hour tarmac limit, they do not have to open the door.

So, it depends on the situation. You MIGHT be able to get off the plane . . .but, then again, you might get to fly it anyway.
Old Jun 9, 15, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by dilbertsdaddy View Post
It would not surprise me if there were some crew-time issues with re-opening the door in certain cases. You might be happy to get off the plane but if that takes extra time and the crew times out and then the flight hast to cxld that is going to lead to a LOT of unhappy people and they're all going to be in your town!
Old Jun 9, 15, 3:54 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by dilbertsdaddy View Post
I saw someone feign* an illness to get let off at an unscheduled stop. The pilots and crew were pretty annoyed but there wasn't much they could do but let the guy off the plane. It took a lot more paperwork and time for the rest of us.

(*The guy initially asked to be let off and they said no. He then went back to his seat only to develop "something in his eye" a few minutes later)
Old Jun 9, 15, 4:53 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA & AA Peeon, Hilton/Starwood Gold
Last night DL2420 SLC-IND diverted to CVG because of storms and then low on fuel. One passenger deplaned in CVG on account of being closer to home and we carried on about an hour later without him.
Old Jun 9, 15, 5:01 pm

Programs: United - PG, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by kop84 View Post
A friend of mine was once diverted from MSP to FAR - his ultimate destination but there was no gate and were not on the ground very long and he was not allowed off the plane.

But I'm with the above that if they tarmac rule is about to hit or they have to go to the gate anyway you'd likely be allowed off...if you have a checked bag YMMV on if the bag gets pulled or not.
Wouldn't they HAVE to remove your bag? Or would that particular TSA rule not apply in this situation?

Also, assuming the door is opened for whatever reason, I am not quite sure how they could keep you from getting off if you wanted to.
Old Jun 9, 15, 5:13 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Skymiles, Mileage Plus, BA Executive Club, WorldPerks
A couple of years ago we were diverted to ORY from CDG due to fog at CDG. After sitting on the ground for about an hour they said they'd arranged with French customs to let anyone off who wanted to get off if they had had ONLY hand baggage. About fifteen of us took them up on it.
Old Jun 9, 15, 5:14 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by houserulz77 View Post
Wouldn't they HAVE to remove your bag? Or would that particular TSA rule not apply in this situation?
That's not a real rule, domestically anyway. Carrier discretion as to whether they will allow a re-route of luggage.
Old Jun 9, 15, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by houserulz77 View Post
Also, assuming the door is opened for whatever reason, I am not quite sure how they could keep you from getting off if you wanted to.
I'd imagine you are correct short of the FA tackling you!
Old Jun 9, 15, 5:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. If the cabin door is open, they can't stop you from disembarking. W&B has to be rerun anyway as the fuel will be different, no matter whether they take on fuel at the diversion point, so it's just a passenger count adjustment.

2. The TSA bag match rule was withdrawn in 2003 as to domestic. That's 12 years and people are still asserting something something which is long gone.

3. On a small aircraft, pulling a bag may not be hard (if there's ground staff). On a mainline aircraft or at a station not served by the carrier, forget it. But, who checks?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: