Wiki Posts
Search

Too Many Elites...

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2015, 7:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/MM
Too Many Elites...

As much as we FTers talk about the inflated ranks of elite pax and the trimming of benefits across all tiers, especially in the lower ones (i.e., FO and GM), I don't think this issue has resonated with the public at large. At least today's NY Times spotlights this issue, particularly on DL: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/07/up...abt=0002&abg=0

Last edited by UVAhoo06; Jun 3, 2015 at 9:53 pm
Old Jun 3, 2015, 7:11 pm

Programs: DL 2MM/GM, AA Gold, Marriott Life Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
I completely agree

...in fact, see my post http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...u-realize.html I sent almost simultaneously to your post.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 7:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Eliminate MQMs from credit card spend and signup bonuses. That would most likely solve the problem right there. Or as a compromise, eliminate the 25K MQD waiver.

I'm sorry, but you should not be able to get status without flying a single BIS mile. The point of elite status is to reward and encourage loyalty. Giving it away to people who don't fly enough to earn it defeats the purpose, IMO.

Note: I am biased, since I've earned every single one of my 27K MQMs this year from BIS miles.

Last edited by KDCAflyer; Jun 3, 2015 at 7:27 pm
Old Jun 3, 2015, 7:43 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by WWads
Eliminate MQMs from credit card spend and signup bonuses. That would most likely solve the problem right there. Or as a compromise, eliminate the 25K MQD waiver.

I'm sorry, but you should not be able to get status without flying a single BIS mile. The point of elite status is to reward and encourage loyalty. Giving it away to people who don't fly enough to earn it defeats the purpose, IMO.

Note: I am biased, since I've earned every single one of my 27K MQMs this year from BIS miles.
I have just over 42K BIS miles this year, and expect to reach the PM miles level by October-ish, though without the MQD waiver I don't think I'd actually make PM for 2016.

So, I'm glad the waiver is there. The MQMs I get from the credit card are nice too, but I still fly about 80K BIS miles/year.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 8:16 pm

Whenever threads relating to thinning the medallion ranks come up, they usually end up with various posters advocating that DL thin the ranks, but always in ways that benefit themselves. Namely, people usually want DL to raise the qualification levels to whatever they fly/spend per year, or eliminate ways to qualify for status through other means, such as Amex waiver, segments, etc.

In fact...

Already beat me to it.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 8:27 pm

Programs: delta dm
I agree with the premise....but the counter argument is how much did american express/delta make in credit card revenue off the business owners like me that spent 100,000 plus on the credit card plus traveled with delta....they want those HVC
Old Jun 3, 2015, 8:29 pm

Programs: DL, Hilton, National
I take no issue with those who earn all their MQMs from Amex boosts. If they rarely fly, they rarely affect me or my upgrade.

FCM is a far bigger enemy to our upgrades than infrequent travelers who are likely taking leisure routes/schedules.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 8:30 pm

Programs: delta dm
Originally Posted by paterwdb
i take no issue with those who earn all their mqms from amex boosts. If they rarely fly, they rarely affect me or my upgrade.

Fcm is a far bigger enemy to our upgrades than infrequent travelers who are likely taking leisure routes/schedules.
this 👍
Old Jun 3, 2015, 8:59 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
The point of elite status is to reward and encourage loyalty. Giving it away to people who don't fly enough to earn it defeats the purpose, IMO.
The point of elite benefits should be to reward Delta's most valuable customers. Thinking that the value of a customer to Delta is related solely to the tickets they fly is a very myopic view in my opinion.

I believe many of Delta's most valuable customers are those who fly the least.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 9:59 pm
Suspended

The entire NYT article will fall apart when I mention: FCM!
Old Jun 3, 2015, 11:09 pm

Programs: NFY, AA EXP, Marriott TE
Actually I found the article to be quite true.

A hard, cold look at the landscape - so different from 15 years ago - will lead you to a different economic model from "elite"...

By shopping the big three, I fly F on every flight. If I kept ALL my business to DL, I'd be a DM-but why on earth would I spend 40% more?

All the best, James
Old Jun 4, 2015, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by fdog
Actually I found the article to be quite true.

A hard, cold look at the landscape - so different from 15 years ago - will lead you to a different economic model from "elite"...

By shopping the big three, I fly F on every flight.
clearly, that's what's most important to YOU, so by all means please keep doing that

Originally Posted by fdog
If I kept ALL my business to DL, I'd be a DM-but why on earth would I spend 40% more? ...
I'd suggest that some who do this are after more than acquiring and/or retaining elite status ... regardless of the perceptions that many here in the DL FT community have of redeemable miles (changes and limitations wrt earning, lack of transparency wrt award levels/availability, restrictions wrt partners, etc), some folks are actually accumulating RDMs with the intent to use them
Old Jun 4, 2015, 7:06 am

Programs: Delta PM, HHonors Gold; SPG Gold
The article, unlike many FF related articles seemed spot on to me. I was DL Silver for 6 years; a significant uptick in work travel got me to platinum for this year and the differences in everything, from upgrades to how i'm treated is mind blowing.

Makes it even harder to know I'm more than likely going back to silver next year. Oh well.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 7:06 am

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM HH Gold Marriott Gold IHG Spire
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jrl767
clearly, that's what's most important to YOU, so by all means please keep doing that

I'd suggest that some who do this are after more than acquiring and/or retaining elite status ... regardless of the perceptions that many here in the DL FT community have of redeemable miles (changes and limitations wrt earning, lack of transparency wrt award levels/availability, restrictions wrt partners, etc), some folks are actually accumulating RDMs with the intent to use them
Old Jun 4, 2015, 7:07 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
CC's are a huge revenue-generator for DL. Stiffing the card-holders is plain and simple bad business.

What people derisively refer to as FCM, e.g. "selling tickets as a for-profit business" is what DL is supposed to be doing.

All threads such as this prove is that the marketing guys at DL are correct. A shiny plastic card will get people to pay more for no particular tangible benefit.

It's not DL's fault that the sheeples follow. It's the sheeples for continuing to play along.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.