Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta selling upgrades instead of upgrading Medallions?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2015, 7:44 am
Original Poster

I've made Delta Platinum last year and with it (so I thought) the benefit of getting medallion upgrades 5 days before departure.
I haven't been on a single flight this year where this was the case, instead Delta seems to push selling upgrades much more intensely.

Are others seeing the same?

Old Jun 5, 2015, 7:49 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Can someone grab me a beer? This might be a bumpy ride over to the FCM thread.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...ve-thread.html

Last edited by Crazyhotelguy; Jun 5, 2015 at 7:57 am
Old Jun 5, 2015, 7:51 am

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold
Turns out that PM isn't all it's cracked up to be. I try to attain for reasons other than the upgrades. Lots of previous threads on this topic. FCM (first class monetization) has been a popular subject. Welcome to the new DL.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Absolutely... I take it you haven't seen any posts or giant threads around here about this topic?

Your loyalty is only worth as much as you are willing to pay to DL now.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 8:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rylan
Absolutely... I take it you haven't seen any posts or giant threads around here about this topic?

Your loyalty is only worth as much as you are willing to pay to DL now.
ha, fair enough - just thought this was a particularly apparent example
Old Jun 5, 2015, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
UG expectations should be grounded in the reality of supply and demand, and your travel patterns play a big part here (e.g., BNA-MSP on Wed at 11am is a lot different than ATL-SLC on Mon at 8am)

that being said, we all know what DL is doing to the supply ...
Old Jun 5, 2015, 8:08 am

Programs: DL DM and 1.5 MM, UA GM, HH DM
Why wouldn't they sell a first class verses giving it away..
Old Jun 5, 2015, 8:11 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Premier, AA Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by tomslx
I've made Delta Platinum last year and with it (so I thought) the benefit of getting medallion upgrades 5 days before departure.
I haven't been on a single flight this year where this was the case, instead Delta seems to push selling upgrades much more intensely.

Are others seeing the same?
I believe at an annual shareholders' meeting, Delta said they were hoping to sell even more first class seats where nearly 80% of F would be people who bought their seat. I'm not sure on the exact numbers so there's someone who can chime in. I think in the past year it was less than 50% so to answer your question, yes, Delta is pushing to sell F seats.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 8:21 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
While people on FT like to derisively refer to a commercial air carrier selling seats as FCM, other people who work in the business community would call it selling a service.

As DL management works for its shareholders and the company seems to be doing quite well, they are quite happy.

Who is not happy? People who used to benefit from freebies who don't any more.

This issue is belabored every day. It is over. There will, of course, continue to be occasional freebies and it is a nice thing to take care of a regular customer when the occasion presents itself. But, the suggestion that DL ought to forgo sales for charity to people who don't need charity seems misplaced.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 8:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Asiaflyguy
Why wouldn't they sell a first class verses giving it away..
Because to some extent it's false advertising.
Delta ask for loyalty and the $'s associated with it for which in return certain incentives are offered like 5 day comp upgrades. Offering that incentive but never making good on it is misleading.

I get why they are selling the upgrades and from a monetization perspective they probably should but then don't offer me a loyalty incentive that's never fulfilled.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 8:28 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
The following are the PM features that are of value to me, in absence of upgrades which have been quit rare for me this year.

Redeposit of miles without fees
Partner airline lounge access
C+ at time of booking
IRROP handling
Sky zone boarding and check-in

The last one has been quite tangible, it was certainly quite nice to skip the long kettle lines at HEL and AMS a couple of weeks ago.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 8:32 am

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
Originally Posted by tomslx
Because to some extent it's false advertising.
Delta ask for loyalty and the $'s associated with it for which in return certain incentives are offered like 5 day comp upgrades. Offering that incentive but never making good on it is misleading.

I get why they are selling the upgrades and from a monetization perspective they probably should but then don't offer me a loyalty incentive that's never fulfilled.
It is not false advertising and it is not misleading. Not one bit.

Your point about loyalty is well taken, though. The comp upgrades do build loyalty. It remains to be seen what FCM does to DL's loyalty ....
Old Jun 5, 2015, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
OK - I am a DM and very recently (last 7 days) booked a multi-itinerary trip that includes SLC (overnight) and PDX and redeye. I booked and was given the option about 5 minutes later to upgrade the entire trip to F for 270$ IIRC. I jumped - I decided it was not worth waiting for the UG lottery when I could have confirmed GAP fare in F. I really think it is a smart move by DL. As Bubba would say- WFBF.

I think we all (including - err actually especially Diamonds) should get used to this. Oh and BTW -yes this belongs in the FCM thread IMHO.

Last edited by GRALISTAIR; Jun 5, 2015 at 10:57 am
Old Jun 5, 2015, 8:39 am

Programs: Former Diamond
Trust me when I say it has nothing to do with the FCM stuff.

Their on-site personalization code is not managed well...
Old Jun 5, 2015, 8:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MarkCron
It is not false advertising and it is not misleading. Not one bit.

Your point about loyalty is well taken, though. The comp upgrades do build loyalty. It remains to be seen what FCM does to DL's loyalty ....
Why is not?
If I hired an intern and asked him to work on a project and would tell him, "hey, if you complete this to my satisfaction I'll give you a 1k bonus ". Now, in reality I'm a grumpy guy and will never be satisfied, so even though you did a great job, you will not get the bonus - I think he could rightfully say that I mislead him

I know I don't have a "right" to an upgrade and I know Delta is a business that optimizes for profit as it should but offering $89 upgrades out of tiny airport mid-day instead of making good on their loyalty incentives disincentives any loyalty.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.