Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Checking In with Delta Partner VS at ATL?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Checking In with Delta Partner VS at ATL?

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2015, 6:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL 2MM DM & My Wife is a DL 3MM DM
Question Checking In with Delta Partner VS at ATL?

I am flying on Virgin Atlantic on Monday--ATL to LHR. This was booked with Delta, so I have both a four digit Delta flight number (the code share) and the three digit VS flight number.

When I look at Hartsfield's website--International Terminal--it doesn't list Virgin Atlantic. A Delta rep thought I would check in with Delta, but someone with VS said they do have a counter there, and I would check in with them.

I assume someone reading this has experienced the actual reality.

Thanks
Old May 28, 2015, 7:27 pm

Google is your friend.

http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/us/en...s/atlanta.html

Also- check in with the airline you are flying. Doesn't matter who sold you the ticket.
Old May 29, 2015, 5:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by phenobarbital
Google is your friend.

Also- check in with the airline you are flying. Doesn't matter who sold you the ticket.
Yes, you are right and I use it all the time. Not sure why I didn't in this case. In the reservation itself--when re-directed from DL to VS--it doesn't have that info. Even the info you provided doesn't specifically say they have their own counter--it just says to check-in at the International Terminal. I guess it implies, however, that they do. Thanks phenobarbital for pointing me in the right direction.^

I guess the other downside to flying with VS--even though booked through DL--will be no Pre-Check. Pat-down--here I come.

Last edited by atl runner; May 29, 2015 at 5:13 am
Old May 29, 2015, 6:58 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by atl runner
I guess the other downside to flying with VS--even though booked through DL--will be no Pre-Check. Pat-down--here I come.
Next time fly ATL-JFK-LHR. In addition to Pre-√ you'll also get the Clubhouse at JFK
Old May 29, 2015, 7:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bennos
Next time fly ATL-JFK-LHR. In addition to Pre-√ you'll also get the Clubhouse at JFK
The Clubhouse sounds great, and I'll look forward to the one at LHR on the return. I love Pre-Check!

However, dealing with the extra time involved in making a safe connection for an international flight, not to mention the potential issues that can happen around transfers, no way would I choose to connect when a direct option is available.

Actually, one of the beauties of living in Atlanta and flying a lot is how seldom you have to make connections--at least for the places I typically go--ARN being the main exception to that.

It will be interesting to see what I think of the VS Upper Class vs. Delta BE. I'm comfortable in the latter, and imagine I'll be fine in the VS product as well. The pitch looks great.

Off topic, but my wife flew to AMS yesterday on a 744--her first time on that model. She was in 77K (upper deck) and said it was absolutely fantastic. I've never been on one--maybe one of these days.

Last edited by atl runner; May 29, 2015 at 7:30 am
Old May 29, 2015, 7:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The Clubhouse sounds great, and I'll look forward to the one at LHR on the return. I love Pre-Check!

However, dealing with the extra time involved in making a safe connection for an international flight, not to mention the potential issues that can happen around transfers, no way would I choose to connect when a direct option is available.

Actually, one of the beauties of living in Atlanta and flying a lot is how seldom you have to make connections--at least for the places I typically go--ARN being the main exception to that.
I would add that with the runway construction happening now at JFK, delays are likely to be worse than usual there. IMO it wouldn't be wise to book a connection through JFK this summer if there's some other reasonable choice. Use of the Clubhouse wouldn't be worth the risk.
Old May 29, 2015, 7:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I would add that with the runway construction happening now at JFK, delays are likely to be worse than usual there. IMO it wouldn't be wise to book a connection through JFK this summer if there's some other reasonable choice. Use of the Clubhouse wouldn't be worth the risk.
In F at ATL, I often use The Club over The Sky Club--or, if extra time, I'll visit both. The Club is typically less busy and has a very relaxing feel.

And, I agree, avoiding NYC airspace pretty much always makes sense.
Old May 29, 2015, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Yes and no use of GUCs - I am actually flying July 1-6th and rather than do my usual DAY-ATL-MAN-ATL-DAY which would have the TATLs on VS110/109 rather than the old DL 64/65, I am actually flying DAY-ATL-JFK-MAN-JFK-ATL-DAY - 6 legs rather than 4 and the GUC has already cleared for JFK-MAN. I bet I also get TSA Pre - which I dont when flying VS.

Last edited by GRALISTAIR; May 29, 2015 at 9:49 am
Old May 29, 2015, 9:10 am

Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
Originally Posted by phenobarbital
Google is your friend.

Interesting that the info on Virgin's site isn't entirely correct:

Connecting to Delta flights
For travel within the U.S., all Delta flights depart from Atlanta’s domestic terminal, which is comprised of five concourses: T, A, B, C and D.
For international travel from Atlanta, most Delta flights will depart from the new Maynard H. Jackson Jr. International Terminal, which is comprised of concourses E and F.
Old May 29, 2015, 9:28 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
In F at ATL, I often use The Club over The Sky Club--or, if extra time, I'll visit both. The Club is typically less busy and has a very relaxing feel.

And, I agree, avoiding NYC airspace pretty much always makes sense.
I also tend to visit both when I have enough time. I really wish that The Club had higher quality wine than the house wine DL offers. It's surprising since the other F&B offerings are superior.
Old May 29, 2015, 9:56 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by PRWeezer
Interesting that the info on Virgin's site isn't entirely correct:

Connecting to Delta flights
For travel within the U.S., all Delta flights depart from Atlanta’s domestic terminal, which is comprised of five concourses: T, A, B, C and D.
For international travel from Atlanta, most Delta flights will depart from the new Maynard H. Jackson Jr. International Terminal, which is comprised of concourses E and F.
Is your comment on the reference to International vs Domestic terminals being solely T through D versus E and F? International flights do go in/out of both concourse E & F so that part is right. Likewise, domestic flights go out of all concourses.
Old May 29, 2015, 10:05 am

Doesn't MHJ only refer to F, not E and F?

Does DL have any gates at all in either C or D? (I get these two confused, but I think one is only other airlines.)

Also, AFAIK pre clearance international flights can arrive anywhere and a DL international departure could also use any DL gate that can accommodate the aircraft type, although they usually depart from E and F gates, closer to the "better" SCs.
Old May 29, 2015, 10:16 am

Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
Originally Posted by cre95
Is your comment on the reference to International vs Domestic terminals being solely T through D versus E and F? International flights do go in/out of both concourse E & F so that part is right. Likewise, domestic flights go out of all concourses.
I don't consider concourse E part of the 'new' terminal as they state since it's in the 'old' terminal complex.

International flights sometimes depart from the 'domestic' terminal, say if the equipment is already at a domestic gate (Canada, Bahamas for example). And domestic flights can go out of E, on occasion out of F as well if there's an equipment swap, for example, and the aircraft is parked at F concourse.
Old May 29, 2015, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Doesn't MHJ only refer to F, not E and F?

Does DL have any gates at all in either C or D? (I get these two confused, but I think one is only other airlines.)

Also, AFAIK pre clearance international flights can arrive anywhere and a DL international departure could also use any DL gate that can accommodate the aircraft type, although they usually depart from E and F gates, closer to the "better" SCs.
DL uses one end of C and also uses D gates.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.