Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

"Seat assignment has been changed due to seat duplication"

"Seat assignment has been changed due to seat duplication"

Old May 25, 2015, 6:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by bubbashow
I often find in customer service interactions that the customer service employee projects a great reflection of how they are treated by the customer. Seriously...7 hours of your life...in a lie flat seat. relax
Are you saying you sometimes treat customer service employees badly?
Old May 25, 2015, 6:10 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by yohanson
Are you saying you sometimes treat customer service employees badly?
Actually, no I don't. I travel a lot and see people spewing venom in many situations. I have found that I usually get what I want with the opposite approach. YMMV
Old May 25, 2015, 6:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by bubbashow
Actually, no I don't. I travel a lot and see people spewing venom in many situations. I have found that I usually get what I want with the opposite approach. YMMV
I travel a lot (49 segments so far this year) and I rarely see any interactions with CSA and customers that are venomous. Of course, I rarely fly through DTW any more so maybe that's why.
Old May 25, 2015, 6:39 pm

Programs: DL:360/DM/6 MMer; Bonvoy: Lifetime Titanium 10+M pts, 3100+ nights;
Originally Posted by DiverDave
Why not?

I have never understood if Delta can move me, why can't they move somebody else? Seriously.

David
They can.

I was going to Asia in my fav 777 seat, 7A, and the equipment was changed to the newer configuration with fewer BE seats. For whatever reason, I was moved out of 7A into some random seat. This happened on a Saturday and I caught it shortly after it happened. I called, talked to a supervisor and got put back into 7A. I didn't know where the random person that landed in 7A was moved nor did I care.
Old May 25, 2015, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by DiverDave
Why not?

I have never understood if Delta can move me, why can't they move somebody else? Seriously.

David
Because you're not as important to them as somebody else. The other person is so important that Delta won't even tell you why.
Old May 25, 2015, 6:55 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, DL GM, Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by DL-Don
They can.

I was going to Asia in my fav 777 seat, 7A, and the equipment was changed to the newer configuration with fewer BE seats. For whatever reason, I was moved out of 7A into some random seat. This happened on a Saturday and I caught it shortly after it happened. I called, talked to a supervisor and got put back into 7A. I didn't know where the random person that landed in 7A was moved nor did I care.
Difference is, that was an equipment change. The OP's case was not.
Old May 25, 2015, 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by yohanson
I say there is no effin way I was in a duplicate seat for 2 months and 10 days!
Why not? Sometimes the easiest way to fix a problem like this is to do nothing. One of the two parties might change flights. Or, perhaps an equipment change might occur.

That's how we used to handle this sort of thing in the hotels in which I worked. Occasionally, the sales people would double-book a conference room or suite. No one usually did anything until a week out, in hopes that attrition or a cancellation happened.

Perhaps Delta does something similar. Maybe they don't deal with this type of problem until 6 weeks out. That's about when your flight is, right?
Old May 25, 2015, 7:40 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Originally Posted by sethb
Because you're not as important to them as somebody else. The other person is so important that Delta won't even tell you why.
I have no idea why the OP was moved, but as I said before I am 99% sure it is for a FAM. If that is the case NO airline will disclose that. I fly a lot and I know the drill. If OP is that upset, contact DL and they may throw him/her some miles. OP is getting the exact same style seat in the same cabin on the same flt.

I know a lot about how FAM's operate and this sounds normal to me. I will not go into any further details about how many on are a flt or where they sit. Again, DL or any carrier will NOT tell the OP that a FAM is taking his/her seat.

OP - after your flt, please post back on here and let us know who was in those seats. After the flt ask the person that sat in your original seat if he/she is a FAM, they just might let you know.
Old May 25, 2015, 7:44 pm

Programs: DL:360/DM/6 MMer; Bonvoy: Lifetime Titanium 10+M pts, 3100+ nights;
Originally Posted by Navig8R
Difference is, that was an equipment change. The OP's case was not.
My point was, the ABILITY is there. They may not WANT to but they are ABLE to.
Old May 25, 2015, 9:37 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Originally Posted by DL-Don
My point was, the ABILITY is there. They may not WANT to but they are ABLE to.
The ABILITY is there to do what???
The ABILITY was to put the PX in the same cabin, same service and same flt. That was done by DL.

They may not WANT to???
I am sure DL did not want to move the PX, they did due to a FAM situation.

They are a ABLE to???
If it was a FAM, sorry they are not.
Old May 25, 2015, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by writerguyfl
Why not? Sometimes the easiest way to fix a problem like this is to do nothing. One of the two parties might change flights. Or, perhaps an equipment change might occur.

That's how we used to handle this sort of thing in the hotels in which I worked. Occasionally, the sales people would double-book a conference room or suite. No one usually did anything until a week out, in hopes that attrition or a cancellation happened.

Perhaps Delta does something similar. Maybe they don't deal with this type of problem until 6 weeks out. That's about when your flight is, right?
If it's something easily duplicable, like a small conference room or a suite that can be upgraded, that's one thing. (I've seen a hotel double-book most of its function space, and refuse to admit it. It wasn't pretty.)

But telling someone early, when there are still a lot of choices remaining, has to be better than telling them late when there are fewer.
Old May 25, 2015, 10:03 pm
Original Poster

I'm pretty sure you're right kettle1 about it being a FAM. The reply I got back from Delta makes no mention of duplicate seats.

"We understand the importance of providing pre-assigned seats for our
customers and try to honor all seat selection requests. Seats are
reserved on a first-come, first-served basis up to 331 days prior to
departure. However, seat assignments are never guaranteed. We understand
that our Diamond Medallion Members are more likely, because of their
travel frequency, to experience reassigning of seats due to aircraft
changes or operational constraints. In situations such as this,
customers may need to arrange new seating with our agents at the gate
prior to boarding.

In the meantime, reservations are always changing and seats may open
back up. You may view or change assignments at any time to your
reservation online by visiting delta.com.

Our goal is to provide the highest possible standard of service in all
areas of our operation, and I know there is nothing I can say to erase
your disappointment with our service, but please know our apologies are
most sincere and we regret any inconvenience."
Old May 25, 2015, 10:07 pm

Programs: DL 4MM; DM
I'm just surprised DL would even bother to send an email about a seat reassignment, FAM or not. Not to mention two pax were reassigned seats. When I've been moved there's been no notice until I print my boarding pass (or a new chit pops out when my BP is scanned. Just seems more likely to me this may be a VIP situation vs multiple FAMs.
Old May 25, 2015, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BamaGirl
I'm just surprised DL would even bother to send an email about a seat reassignment, FAM or not. Not to mention two pax were reassigned seats. When I've been moved there's been no notice until I print my boarding pass (or a new chit pops out when my BP is scanned. Just seems more likely to me this may be a VIP situation vs multiple FAMs.
It will be interesting to find out who actually flew in those seats.
Old May 25, 2015, 10:15 pm

Programs: DL DM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BamaGirl
kettle1 is probably right on the money - FAM. Probably just one. But if op was in the same record with his traveling companion perhaps they would both be moved in order to keep them together.

I had a FAM sit behind me once on an ATL - Paris flight. She made it very obvious because she left her ID out and at one point dropped it! (Happened JFK-LAX once As well - kept opening his wallet and flashing his ID).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.