FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   MSN to ABQ help to get lowers price (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1682197-msn-abq-help-get-lowers-price.html)

Esltroy May 23, 2015 2:34 pm

MSN to ABQ help to get lowers price

I am working on trip to go from MSN to ABQ on July 5 return July 11.
I not care what time I leave on the 5th while I am visiting family. On the return I would like to not get to my parent's house late at night. Anything thing before 6 would be great. Delta is pricing these tickets at 200-300 more expensive than united. Help me Obi-Juan Kenobi.

pgh234 May 23, 2015 2:39 pm

Frankly...Delta does not care if you take your business to United. It will get them eventually...but right now they just don't care.

javabytes May 23, 2015 3:22 pm

If you're willing to get in at 8:52 PM then it's $35 more than United. Otherwise you're SOL unless Delta drops the prices for the rest of its flights.

plinko83 May 23, 2015 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by Esltroy (Post 24859807)
I am working on trip to go from MSN to ABQ on July 5 return July 11.
I not care what time I leave on the 5th while I am visiting family. On the return I would like to not get to my parent's house late at night. Antsy thing before 6 would be great. Delta is pricing these tickets at 200-300 more expensive than united. Help me Obi-Juan Kenobi.

LOL, I'm genuinely curious what you are expecting folks on this board to do. You are flying a very specific city pair and are not willing to budge on the dates you travel, and insist on arriving at a certain time. There is a flight you are happy with the price on United. But for some reason you don't want to take that flight.

What exactly would you like the folks on this board to do?

BlueStreak17 May 23, 2015 7:47 pm

MSN is an extremely expensive airport to fly in and out of. I blame it on EPIC. The flights will be full regardless the price.

xliioper May 23, 2015 7:57 pm

I'm seeing United for $569 and DL for $604. Where's the $200 - $300 difference??

Oh, I see you want the return to arrive before 6. Is arriving at 8:52PM really that late? You could split the ticket -- DL outbound, AA return for $713.
Personally, I'd just leave on the 4th and return on the 11th at 8:52PM for $363 roundtrip.

flyerslc May 23, 2015 8:08 pm

I never fly DL to ABQ because unless you live in MSP, it requires flying to a hub and then to another city like MSP that has a direct flight to ABQ. You will not only not find a competitive fare, you will have to make more connections. Overall, I think this is correct.

xliioper May 23, 2015 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by flyerslc (Post 24860689)
I never fly DL to ABQ because unless you live in MSP, it requires flying to a hub and then to another city like MSP that has a direct flight to ABQ. You will not only not find a competitive fare, you will have to make more connections. Overall, I think this is correct.

Huh? MSP is a DL hub and is well connected. And then there's ATL which also has ABQ flights and is even better connected. This statement doesn't make any sense.

UpgradeMe May 23, 2015 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by Esltroy (Post 24859807)
Obi-Juan Kenobi.

Is this the new Hispanic Star Wars character?

kettle1 May 23, 2015 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by UpgradeMe (Post 24860700)

:D:D:D

flyerslc May 23, 2015 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by flyerslc:

Originally Posted by LBJ (Post 24860693)
Huh? MSP is a DL hub and is well connected. And then there's ATL which also has ABQ flights and is even better connected. This statement doesn't make any sense.

Sorry, I should have said unless you live in MSP, it requires flying to another hub like MSP that has a direct flight to ABQ. SLC has few direct flights to ABQ and I never seem to find a good itinerary to ABQ. And it always seems more expensive than United. Not that I like flying UA much.

kettle1 May 23, 2015 11:13 pm

Rent a car. That would save $$ if a group of 3-4.

xliioper May 24, 2015 6:24 am

Originally Posted by flyerslc (Post 24861065)
Originally Posted by flyerslc:

Sorry, I should have said unless you live in MSP, it requires flying to another hub like MSP that has a direct flight to ABQ. SLC has few direct flights to ABQ and I never seem to find a good itinerary to ABQ. And it always seems more expensive than United. Not that I like flying UA much.

The same is going to be true of UA, AA, WN, etc. Unless you live in one of their hubs with non-stop service to ABQ, you are going to have to connect. SLC may not have many non-stop's to ABQ on DL, but at least it has some. If you are flying UA, you have no choice but to connect in DEN. Even with more flights, there are likely to be few cases where flying UA is going to be more convenient that DL. Sure, DL is going to cost more, but that's the price having the non-stop convenience. You do realize that UA and AA do the exact same type of pricing out of their hubs, right? I can find one-way DL flights on DEN-SLC-ABQ for as low as $100, while the lowest price for the UA DEN-ABQ non-stop is $209. You haven't really presented a cogent argument for avoiding DL other that the fact that you just don't seem to like them.

Esltroy May 24, 2015 7:01 am

Originally Posted by UpgradeMe (Post 24860700)

I was wondering if anyone would catch it.

As far as why I asked for help from the community...sometimes people come up with some really interesting bookings that I would not have thought about. Of course Delta doesn't care if I go with United on this trip..Thanks for the reminder!

hotshot265 May 24, 2015 7:12 am

Another suggestion is to fly in and out of Milwaukee. I have not done the research on this particular route, but it is worth a shot. The other thing you have going against you is your are traveling the week of 4th of July..with the 4th on a Saturday..the 6th is the holiday and many families are going to be traveling that week (weekends).