Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Difficulty using GUC in AMS

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2016, 10:08 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by doglover
DL giving KLM & AF control of their gates in AMS & CDG truly ruins the experience that Delta claims they want customers to have.

Delta needs their own staff in these airports. Badly.
Just wait until they take the same approach someday in PVG with the China Eastern partnership...
Old Feb 11, 2016, 10:13 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by davetravels
You hafto go deeper into the rules to find the other wording with the AMS exception.
For what it's worth, I asked about this language and was told (variously) it is out of date or doesn't apply... and sure enough, I did clear at the gate in AMS.

I suspect it's still there because Delta knows KLM is unpredictable in how they handle flights, and they'd rather underpromise and overdeliver so they have something to point to when experiences like OP's occur.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by BenA
I can confirm that KLM processed a day of upgrade for me off the GUC waitlist without me doing anything special - by the time I showed up at the transfer desk at T-45 the upgrades had already been processed by KLM staff, even though no upgrade inventory was technically available.
I thought all open seats become available for upgrade day of departure?

It just seems weird that AMS airport takes control of reservations 36 hours out and does not permit changes to seats within that time frame or even online checkin?
Old Jan 31, 2017, 9:34 pm

bumping this thread as i am waitlisted with GUCs SEA-CDG and AMS-SEA next week and wondering what the best procedure is ensuring the waitlist is properly applied on AMS-SEA especially. thanks!
Old Jan 31, 2017, 10:24 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold
I'll piggyback on this thread even though I'm in HKG. DL certainly keeps us in the dark with the GUC's. I'm waitlisted out on Fri going back to SEA. There are about 23 seats not claimed, but DL is A) holding back on the upgrade inventory or B) not coded the certificate correctly. And because we can't see the OP availability, we just might not ever know which case is correct. Thanks DL for keeping things "shady". I'm inclined to hold short of DM this year just due to the uncertainty of what is involved in using the GUC's.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 11:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You should call and ask your position on the wait list and also ask the agent to verify that everything is coded correctly. You can also call at many random times and without giving your PNR, etc., just ask the agent to check for upgrade space OP on flight XX on date YY. The latter can also be done by twitter.

Since DL doesn't make it possible for us to check for upgrade inventory, we shouldn't feel at all guilty about calling repeatedly to ask.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 2:37 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
You should call and ask your position on the wait list......
Can they tell this even though it's outside of the period to check in?
Old Feb 1, 2017, 3:10 am

Originally Posted by cottonpatch
Can they tell this even though it's outside of the period to check in?
I just called and was told that they could not see my status on the waitlist until it was within the 24 hour period before departure. More DL darkness......
Old Feb 1, 2017, 3:43 am

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
Originally Posted by cottonpatch
I just called and was told that they could not see my status on the waitlist until it was within the 24 hour period before departure. More DL darkness......
You didn't tell the agent that there will be no waitlist @AMS?
Old Feb 1, 2017, 3:56 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
. I was told there were 16 empty seats but none for upgrade use. I was like "why"? and they said they were holding them for sale. This was 60 min to departure!
I am confused. Aren't airlines (esp. for longhaul flights) interested in protecting the premium cabin yield-wise?
Who would buy a Business Class longhaul ticket, if all non-sold seats will be given to upgraders?
The notion that - because 16 seats are empty - it should be given to an upgrader is beyond me. If an airlines operates like that on longhaul, its not a good way to do business, because you sacrifice your yield.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 4:55 am

Originally Posted by warakorn
The notion that - because 16 seats are empty - it should be given to an upgrader is beyond me. If an airlines operates like that on longhaul, its not a good way to do business, because you sacrifice your yield.
All empty seats are available for upgrade at the DoD (miles/GUC's/vouchers,money).
If you have been at AMS you know when they call the standby's/NSRA's, if you still have to argue at T-60 about your upgrade you have a problem .
Old Feb 1, 2017, 10:33 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by warakorn
I am confused. Aren't airlines (esp. for longhaul flights) interested in protecting the premium cabin yield-wise?
Who would buy a Business Class longhaul ticket, if all non-sold seats will be given to upgraders?
Please stick to UA. No one is giving anything away. It is not easy to qualify for DM, and all of us who are EARNED the GUC benefit.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by Grouchy
Well....we are dutch...somewhat direct and if they also live in the AMS area, they can be really uuhm... 'direct'
I am sorry, sir, subtlety is Not Possible™.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 1:47 pm

Well, my SEA-CDG leg cleared a day after booking. AMS-SEA still waitlisted. What is the collective wisdom if it hasn't cleared day of departure? Ask at the KLM lounge? Transfer desk? Or call the Diamond line?
Old Feb 1, 2017, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by green79
Well, my SEA-CDG leg cleared a day after booking. AMS-SEA still waitlisted. What is the collective wisdom if it hasn't cleared day of departure? Ask at the KLM lounge? Transfer desk? Or call the Diamond line?
You connecting @AMS? Watch availability on DL 143 and if there is still availability go to the KLM Crown Lounge asap (or a KLM ticketing agent). One might also consider the SkyPriority line at a transfer desk (if they are not crowded). Have the numbers ready.
Remember, you will not only competing with any FB member but also with other Delta SM members and even regular non-status pax. Ex-AMS anyone can walk up to their ticket desk landside and buy up with EUR if they don't have miles.
Wouldn't call the Diamond line as they can't do much anymore at this time and have outdated data (KLM has operational control).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.