Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta crj 900

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2015, 8:50 pm
Original Poster

Delta crj 900

Hello family of 4 flying from Phx-Vancouver via Seattle Sunday for cruise. I don't travel much and really don't like flying. I was not aware this was a small aircraft. Why is an aircraft this size being used on a 3 hr flight? Is this normal? Only holds about 80 people. This will be my sons first flight he is 6. I have the Xanax ready but wished I would have paid more to get a bigger jet. Any words of wisdom is appreciated.
Old May 21, 2015, 9:09 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Delta crj 900

Small jet due to little demand for the route.
Such is life. Have a great vacation and don't let the plane size bother you. After all, you are sitting in a chair in the sky...a fantastic concept that shouldn't be reduced by the size of the plane. Enjoy it.
Old May 21, 2015, 10:06 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Delta crj 900

80 passengers is not that small of a plane. It will not feel any more turbulent or shaky than most other jets.
In the future, if the equipment used matters to you, you can almost always see if it is a regional jet or larger airline when you're booking.
A 2h 50m flight is not unusual on a regional jet.
Your son will likely be fine unless you give him reason to flip out.
Old May 21, 2015, 10:10 pm
Original Poster

Thank you

We got a great fare. We are returning from Anchorage and both legs on Alaska are on a 737. Our whole fare averaged $377 per person. Even with baggage fee of $25 per person that's a good fare. As long as we arrive safe that's all I care about.
Old May 21, 2015, 10:21 pm

Delta crj 900

You will arrive safe as long as you don't get in a car accident on the way to the airport. Don't worry about the regional jet.
Old May 21, 2015, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Nocgirl
....This will be my sons first flight:-he is 6...
As this is Flyertalk, I hope you have signed him up into the Delta or Alaska frequent flyer program before the flight
Old May 21, 2015, 10:44 pm

Programs: Ex-5C club, Skymiles Gold
Delta crj 900

The 2x2 configuration of the CRJs should be perfect for your family of four. The CRJs are great planes and I fly on one regularly as there are not a whole lot of other larger options out of Montana. If you are taller than 6 feet then be sure to duck at the entrance door but once inside they feel like all other planes. Enjoy the trip and +1 for starting the kids on a frequent flyer program.
Old May 22, 2015, 12:24 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Welcome to FT, Nocgirl!

Since this is about a Delta flight I'm moving the thread to the Delta forum. Have a great flight and enjoy your cruise!

NewbieRunner
Co-moderator, CommunityBuzz
Old May 22, 2015, 6:57 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
My wife, son and I flew on a CRJ-900 from MSP to IAH last weekend. My 3-month-old son's first flight. It was a lovely experience. The crew was great. Don't worry. Your flight will be great. Make sure and see if they have any wings for your kid's first flight.
Old May 22, 2015, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
The CRJ 900 is very nice considering it's a smaller jet. The overhead bins are smaller on one side, if I recall (at least in first class). I can usually just fit my Kirkland 22" roller in on the larger side, if it's not overstuffed.

Ride on a CRJ200, and you'll be in misery.
Old May 22, 2015, 7:17 am

CR9 seats are 1" narrower than E175
Old May 22, 2015, 8:08 am

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
Ha ha...after many years of CRJ200's, we finally got CRJ9's out of PHF. Seems HUGE to me

It's a very nice ride and yes, there is a teeny overhead on the one side and a small one on the other, but a not-oversized roll-aboard can fit in (barely) sideways. However they always valet check (pink tag) rollaboards unless you "sneak" it on. A backpack would fit nicely.

I am the opposite of you...I am nervous in a plane with hundreds of people. 80 seems about right
Old May 22, 2015, 8:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by orca15
Ha ha...after many years of CRJ200's, we finally got CRJ9's out of PHF. Seems HUGE to me

It's a very nice ride and yes, there is a teeny overhead on the one side and a small one on the other, but a not-oversized roll-aboard can fit in (barely) sideways. However they always valet check (pink tag) rollaboards unless you "sneak" it on. A backpack would fit nicely.

I am the opposite of you...I am nervous in a plane with hundreds of people. 80 seems about right
Not always. I've even seen GAs announce that legal roller bags do fit in the CRJ-900 bins.
Old May 22, 2015, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Not always. I've even seen GAs announce that legal roller bags do fit in the CRJ-900 bins.
I have been told more times than I can count that my bag won't fit into the CR9 bin when it does, easily in fact.
Old May 22, 2015, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
In PHX and LAX they always try to pink tag 'em.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.