Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anomalous Situation: Amex Spend

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2015, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Any refunds or credits on the card? Perhaps DL is not subtracting those out of the MQD Waiver spend total for some reason.
Old May 22, 2015, 12:07 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM, AA Gold MM, Hilton LTD, Marriott LTP, Hertz PC
Do you have more than one Delta branded Amex cards? You could have a DL business Amex with 4K spending, and a DL personal Amex with 21K sending on it. You would meet the waiver requirements, but not yet get the MQM bonus.
Old May 22, 2015, 12:35 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2MM
Originally Posted by Ben and Jerry
Did you check your "My Delta" page? there it has a footnote (no.2), showing up to what date the spend is current. Mine today is still showing May 5.
Yes, this is confusing. I was worried because my delta spend last year only reached $50k on Dec 30, and I was worried about hitting the threshold. The problem is that there are two "refresh" dates. One is the end of your monthly spend for the SM, the other occurs for me every Friday for the QM. So one is a little off sequence. But not to worry, should be up to date in a week.
Old May 22, 2015, 1:11 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by den1k
Do you have more than one Delta branded Amex cards? You could have a DL business Amex with 4K spending, and a DL personal Amex with 21K sending on it. You would meet the waiver requirements, but not yet get the MQM bonus.
@:-)@:-)@:-) Bingo! That's GOTTA be it! ^^^

I try to use just the one card til I have exhausted the MQM bonuses, but, I do have some recurring payments on the other card that I alwayz forget about!

So, this makes COMPLETE sense - THANX!

However, I'm blushing, that I didn't think of it myself!

Old May 22, 2015, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by davetravels
Yes, but my point is, that. . . .

How could DL say that my spend is $25K as of May 6, but my Amex statement only shows $21K as of May 18?
You got a $4k refund on May 12.
Old May 22, 2015, 6:33 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by sethb
You got a $4k refund on May 12.
I wish!

See posts #17 & #19 above.

Old Sep 5, 2015, 5:26 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Bumping up an older thread

Originally Posted by Smyrnaflyer
Yes, this is confusing. I was worried because my delta spend last year only reached $50k on Dec 30, and I was worried about hitting the threshold. The problem is that there are two "refresh" dates. One is the end of your monthly spend for the SM, the other occurs for me every Friday for the QM. So one is a little off sequence. But not to worry, should be up to date in a week.
I'm bumping up an older thread with a related question (I did a search of dl threads w/ this thread I think coming closest):

I started an Amex Plat account in June of this year. Statement closing dates are a few days into each new month. I didn't plan on going for the $25K spend the first year with the mid-year start, but it is seeming like I could now make it.

With currently booked travel but not reaching card threshold, I'll be 2,600 miles short of GM and $500-600 short of MQDs. So the question is, do I have to hit $25K on the Amex before the early December closing date for the 10K bonus MQMs to post before year end? Or do the bonus MQMs post & waiver kick in within a few days of the purchase that goes over the finish line (ie: mid-to-late December shopping season, but closing date in early Jan?). Thanks.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 5:53 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by RaflW
I'm bumping up an older thread with a related question (I did a search of dl threads w/ this thread I think coming closest):

I started an Amex Plat account in June of this year. Statement closing dates are a few days into each new month. I didn't plan on going for the $25K spend the first year with the mid-year start, but it is seeming like I could now make it.

With currently booked travel but not reaching card threshold, I'll be 2,600 miles short of GM and $500-600 short of MQDs. So the question is, do I have to hit $25K on the Amex before the early December closing date for the 10K bonus MQMs to post before year end? Or do the bonus MQMs post & waiver kick in within a few days of the purchase that goes over the finish line (ie: mid-to-late December shopping season, but closing date in early Jan?). Thanks.
It happens at the statement closing date. If you don't hit it in early December but hit it by December 31, you'll get the MQM bonus when your statement closes in early January and they will be earned in 2015.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 6:03 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM

With currently booked travel but not reaching card threshold, I'll be 2,600 miles short of GM and $500-600 short of MQDs. So the question is, do I have to hit $25K on the Amex before the early December closing date for the 10K bonus MQMs to post before year end? Or do the bonus MQMs post & waiver kick in within a few days of the purchase that goes over the finish line, but closing date in early Jan?)
Both the 10k bonus MQM's and the $25k Waiver credit according to the date the purchase is made. For example, on Dec 31 you make a purchase that bumps you over $10,000 in annual spend and the $25,000 waiver, Delta.com will not reflect your proper status on Jan 1, but it will be properly reflected by Jan 31 for status earned the previous year. This is because Amex needs some time to report the MQM and waiver to Delta. And this is why status expires on Feb 1 instead of January 1: To give Amex a chance to catch up.

It is easy to check one's year-to-date Amex spend on the Amex cc website.

Now here are three cautions:

1. Every year, someone writes on FT that they made a "push me over the top" purchase on Dec 31; but for some reason, the merchant posts it in January. If that happens, the flyer is SOL. No MQM boost and no Waiver.

2. Fewer things count as spend for MQM boost than for Waiver. Normally, not a big difference for typical people, but can be for ms'ing. I won't say more.

3. MQM boost takes longer than Waiver to post on Delta; but when it does, it will be for the year the merchant posts the purchase.

Last edited by Bowgie; Sep 6, 2015 at 1:14 am
Old Sep 5, 2015, 6:16 pm

Programs: Now MGM/Hyatt/IHG Gold Previously: DL DM, DL Reserve, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLAT, M Life PLAT, IHG PLAT

I would recommend getting some gift card on things that you're about to buy that you don't need credit card protection like fandango gift cards or grocery store gift cards to put you over the top a bit early to not get into the delta and Amex ......... Dec15/20
Old Sep 5, 2015, 7:44 pm

Thanks for the responses. If I go for it I won't wait till Dec 31, I just wanted to get some assurance that purchases after the early Dec. statement date will count for 2015 waiver & MQMs. I should be done shopping by Dec 23rd!
Old Oct 20, 2015, 7:34 am

So, an update:

We decided to buy a Sleep Number bed so I hit the 25K spend much earlier than I had thought.

On 10 Oct I made a significant travel purchase in Sweden (big cousin reunion, very fun!) that got me over the hurdle.
Delta showed my spend waiver by 14 Oct.

But by today, 20 Oct the 10K bonus MQMs from Amex have not posted. Per Amex T&C, and a poor quality internet chat w/ "by the book" Amex rep late last week, it can take "up to 6 to 8 weeks for the bonus to post." They also quoted me back my last, sub-25K closing date balance. Uh, yeah thanks, knew that.

I flew home 19 Oct, still FO. I lost out on 470 RDMs (a very minor annoyance) and I would have been blocked from the KLM lounge benefit at AMS but a travel friend was GM and I was his guest.

So overall, minimal impact. But given that my signup bonus MQMs posted within 3 days of my qualifying spend in June, this has been a bit of a bummer/surprise. How much of the "6 to 8 weeks" can I realistically expect to wait for the MQMs?
Old Oct 20, 2015, 7:54 am

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
So, an update:

We decided to buy a Sleep Number bed so I hit the 25K spend much earlier than I had thought.

On 10 Oct I made a significant travel purchase in Sweden (big cousin reunion, very fun!) that got me over the hurdle.
Delta showed my spend waiver by 14 Oct.

But by today, 20 Oct the 10K bonus MQMs from Amex have not posted. Per Amex T&C, and a poor quality internet chat w/ "by the book" Amex rep late last week, it can take "up to 6 to 8 weeks for the bonus to post." They also quoted me back my last, sub-25K closing date balance. Uh, yeah thanks, knew that.

I flew home 19 Oct, still FO. I lost out on 470 RDMs (a very minor annoyance) and I would have been blocked from the KLM lounge benefit at AMS but a travel friend was GM and I was his guest.

So overall, minimal impact. But given that my signup bonus MQMs posted within 3 days of my qualifying spend in June, this has been a bit of a bummer/surprise. How much of the "6 to 8 weeks" can I realistically expect to wait for the MQMs?
You'll get the 10K bonus 24-48 hours after your statement closes for the month. You could theoretically spend $100K before your statement closes and you still won't get that bonus until after the closing date. Delta will show the spend waiver 24-72 hours after you hit the spend threshold but that has nothing to do with the MQM bonus that AMEX gives you.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 7:58 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
I've had the DL Plat card for a few years now, the 10K MQM bonuses post a day after the statement closes on the month that I met the spend requirement, along with the RDMs for that month.

When that happens, you will see two entries on your SM activity, one for the RDMs and one for the MQMs.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 8:26 am

Aha, thanks. I didn't realize it posted differently than the signup bonus which was not tied to closing date.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.