Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rebuilding the SkyMiles Award Chart

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2015, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I understand all of that. Pricing should be additive if there's a partner flight and a connecting flight that isn't available at low (N or O class), but sometimes we see additive pricing for two or more DL segments when pricing the entire thing at the higher level would cost fewer miles. To me, that indicates that the award booking search tool is broken.
If an award is showing additive pricing, you don't have any way of knowing what availability exists for the married segments, so it's a bit difficult to assume you know what higher award level it should price at. You might see two flights at O and OL and think "why doesn't it just price the entire thing at OL?" But there might only be OD for the two flights together using married segment logic.

Last edited by javabytes; May 20, 2015 at 9:06 pm
Old May 20, 2015, 9:12 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
I hope the OP knows that the award charts do still exist. http://deltapoints.boardingarea.com/...eference-post/
Old May 21, 2015, 5:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lamont2718
I hope the OP knows that the award charts do still exist. http://deltapoints.boardingarea.com/...eference-post/
That's a copy of what they were at one point. I'm showing more current data, including quirks like LAX-SYD on VA now pricing at 50,100 in Y, not 50,000. Show me that on the charts somewhere.
Old May 21, 2015, 6:31 am

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
Originally Posted by sbm12
That's a copy of what they were at one point. I'm showing more current data, including quirks like LAX-SYD on VA now pricing at 50,100 in Y, not 50,000. Show me that on the charts somewhere.
Touché. Had been meaning to post about that one... so weird.
Old May 21, 2015, 8:06 am

Programs: DL
Let me preface by saying I like the idea and don't want to be a detractor. However,

I am not a lawyer and this is not any suggested advice, in fact it is humor or satire: From past experience, that domain name will have to go. SkyMiles is a trademark, and you'll be pursued as a squatter and sued for misleading customers into believing your website represents somehow the official position of SkyMiles (since it is, after all, the same topic and not protected speech). Expect a threatening letter in the mail within a month of registration asking for big bucks and any profit you may have earned (i.e. ad revenue) as a result of the use of the trademark. You may want to consider unlinking that domain to anything before evidence can be collected.
Old May 21, 2015, 9:50 am

Wondered how this fit into the charts...

Was pricing a trip to South Africa this fall and was going to use up a chunk of my miles, (350,000 of them per person, my wife and I and my parents for a retirement trip)

To my surprise, I was no where close to the miles I needed for some of the flights. When I searched the dates I needed I came up with nothing close to 350,000

530,000 miles each, sorry mom and dad!!!

Re ran it for just the wife and I

I guess, as those are the dates I need... I will have to do more research.
But I did save 7,500 miles per passenger by not taking the folks.

The Charts used to say 350,000 was the max.
Without the charts, there is no limits, or "Keep Climbing"

I know what is climbing!!!
Old May 21, 2015, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bob Bixby
Wondered how this fit into the charts...
That is pricing as JFK-ORF + ORF-ATL + ATL-JNB. And it looks like, because of the R or O prefix for domestic F versus international C, that's what Delta meant to do, which sucks.

The OK fare for ATL-JNB should be the 350k r/t. Paying the extra 180k for the domestic hops is ridiculous, but that's how the DL system is processing the "mixed cabin" award right now.

The 7500 point savings comes from the "normal" R availability for 2 seats on ORF-ATL on the outbound.
Old May 21, 2015, 12:28 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Can you get better results by using multicity? Alternatively, how about putting the domestic portion on a separate award ticket, or even purchasing those flights?

If you call, can an agent force all of the segments into OK/RK inventory to avoid the "broken fares"?
Old May 21, 2015, 1:07 pm

Thanks!

Incredible, thanks for doing this!

Hopefully you'll climb in the Google rankings where even normal (non FT) folks ignorant of Delta's chicanery will learn about this ridiculousness.
Old May 24, 2015, 7:56 am
Original Poster

Made some updates to the code this morning which should better show off the variety of rates available. Most significantly is that there are now multiple origin points in the USA for searches which means lots more data points and some of the previously "missing" rates like the 62.5k US-EU in C are now showing up. It is still not a perfect representation of everything, but it is getting closer.
Old May 26, 2015, 11:09 am
Original Poster

And now there is a browser extension available to help feed this SkyMiles award rate data into your search results on the Delta site.

Load up the extension and it adds a line atop the search results page:

It should work on r/t or o/w searches. It will give o/w prices if you do a multi-city search. And I'm pretty sure it is stable, at least it was in all my testing.

Let me know if you run into troubles with it.

n.b. The link above is to my blog or to one which I am a regular contributor. FT rules require that I disclose that in the post.
Old May 26, 2015, 12:44 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
And now there is a browser extension available to help feed this SkyMiles award rate data into your search results on the Delta site.

Load up the extension and it adds a line atop the search results page:

It should work on r/t or o/w searches. It will give o/w prices if you do a multi-city search. And I'm pretty sure it is stable, at least it was in all my testing.

Let me know if you run into troubles with it.

n.b. The link above is to my blog or to one which I am a regular contributor. FT rules require that I disclose that in the post.
The new numbers in red are the "low" award level miles required for the route? If so, DL must hate this even more than DL hated us being able to see the award charts.
Old May 26, 2015, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The new numbers in red are the "low" award level miles required for the route?
They are the lowest numbers I've found for the country pair in question so far. No guarantee that they're the lowest in the market but given the volume of data I have I think they should be in most cases.

I should also note that while numbers may show up for domestic routes the data I've accumulated so far has been focused on international routes, not domestic, so I wouldn't put a ton of faith in any domestic numbers it displays. I might actually turn that off to avoid confusion or misleading info.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.