Suntrust Delta Debit card T&C Changes

Old May 20, 2015, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by rnovak
Called SunTrust and voiced my 'concerns', the CSR claimed that it was Delta putting the 2000 mile monthly limit on the cards (not sure I believe that)...
No way this change was initiated by Delta, although I'm sure that's what the CSRs were told to say.

Mike
Old May 20, 2015, 11:57 am

You don't need a minimum balance account to keep the card. I dropped it down to the 'basic' account and run my expenses through there and keep the 'real' money in an interest earning account.

By the way, where are you getting 5% on a checking account?
Wow, I did not know that. I've been keeping the Balanced Banking account linked to the savings account, which requires $3,000 in funds.

Consumers Credit union offers 5.09% for a rewards checking account capped @ $20,000. It's guaranteed till the end of this year and his been at this rate for a while now.

I do have their Visa Credit Card that gives you 3% on grocery purchases as well. (You need the credit card to get the highest rate).
Old May 20, 2015, 12:14 pm

Programs: DL, Hyatt, National
Originally Posted by msnut1
Consumers Credit union offers 5.09% for a rewards checking account capped @ $20,000. It's guaranteed till the end of this year and his been at this rate for a while now.
All I can say is WOW.
Old May 20, 2015, 1:31 pm

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
To cancel now or later?

My annual fee on this card will be due in a week or so, so I want to cancel before then. However, I want to make a large estimated tax payment today using the card trying to get one last stash of DL miles with it. IME, it usually takes a few weeks for the miles to post. Anyone know if:

1) I wait to cancel the card until next month after the miles post, will they refund part or all of my annual fee?

2) If I make the purchase and then cancel a few days later, will I still get the miles?

thanks!
Old May 20, 2015, 2:21 pm

Programs: Delta PM
It's just as easy for me to put everything on the Sky Miles Amex and pay it off each month from my checking account and earn more miles.
This is exactly what I do, too. Anything that can't be charged to my Delta Plat Amex goes on the Visa FlexPerks card. I don't even own a debit card anymore.
Old May 20, 2015, 2:47 pm

Programs: UA Gold   |   Former: DL Diamond, HA Pualani Gold
I'm guessing there's a decent chance this is related to the ongoing fallout from the regulations a few years back capping interchange fees for debit cards.

Bank networks can't charge retailers the same high rates, so there's less cream to pass on to the bank customers.

All in all, if that's the case, I think it's a good thing -- not sure why cardless grocery customers should be subsidizing rewards. (It still happens on credit cards, but at least the new-ish debit rules partially have removed some distortion, if even just a little bit.)
Old May 21, 2015, 9:03 am

Is Suntrust also changing T&C and only allow PIN and signature debit transactions -- and not ACH transactions?

I pay taxes and use it for Venmo... both which are ACH. Earned an enormous amount of miles in a year - but sadly this is coming to an end.
Old May 21, 2015, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by bigsilverjet
Is Suntrust also changing T&C and only allow PIN and signature debit transactions -- and not ACH transactions?

I pay taxes and use it for Venmo... both which are ACH. Earned an enormous amount of miles in a year - but sadly this is coming to an end.
SunTrust gave miles for ACH transactions? Wow, did not know that...
Old May 21, 2015, 1:28 pm

Programs: DL PM (was DL DM for 3yrs), HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by javabytes
SunTrust gave miles for ACH transactions?
I'm not even sure how that would work as it's typically a transaction processed through a card that generates the points.
Old May 25, 2015, 12:08 pm

Programs: Delta + United Airmiles
Don't see how ACH can work since the checking account (ACH source) is not really related to the SPECIAL $75/year debit card. A regular debit card on the same account doesn't generate Delta miles. Thus, the card drives the airmiles, not the checking account. This behavior has been confirmed through use and statements from the reps. They affirmed that the card HAD to be used for a "purchase" to get the miles and that providing the bank routing info instead via bill pay or ACH specifically didn't generate miles.

How did you get the debit card number associated with ACH transaction please?

By far the biggest benefit has been high ticket "purchases" like paying taxes or other expenses where the credit card fee is a percentage (2-3%!) whereas the debit card fee is capped at less than $3 flat rate for up to the $35k per debit card purchase available with this card. Since this card generates the same airmiles on Delta as Amex and Amex is a lot less accepted, this card also works well for places that don't accept Amex.
Old May 26, 2015, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by bigsilverjet

Don't see any significant changes other than monthly caps (2k, or 4k with Signature Advantage account w/$25k min bal or $25/mo which has waived+reimbursed ATM fees) and point earning diluted 50% (.5 per $1 purchase; 1 per $1 if Signature Advantage account).

What specific tax type, i.e. Federal, State, County, City?

What fee, if any, is posted (a percentage or fixed) please? If none, please confirm.

Last edited by uds0; May 26, 2015 at 9:21 am
Old May 26, 2015, 9:31 am

Don't know if this has changed, but the T&C I found on the back of the July 25, 2015 "important changes" letter:

"The delta SkyMiles Debit Cards are issued by SunTrust Banks, Inc. and are avaiable in AL,AR,FL,GA,MD MS,NC,SC,TN,VA,WV an Washington D.C. Delta SkyMiles Debit Cards opened by members with a primary residence OUTSIDE of the STATES listed above are subject to immediate closure, and any earned miles will be revoked."

Here is my chat session just completed at 9AM today:

PAUL: The letter I recently received about the very substantial reduction of value of my Delta SkyMiles World Debit card is dissappointing to say the least. There is a statement near the end of the T&C that I need clarification on.

PAUL: "primary residence outside of the "States" are subject to immediate closure and any earned miles wil be revolked."

PAUL: I am in Oregon and have this online account. Surely online accounts, at least within the US, are still valid and thus also not subject to closure for not being in one of the "States"?

LaTasha: I understand, Paul. And I am very sorry to hear that you feel that way. Yes, that statement applies to clients who live outside of the U.S.

PAUL: And thus does NOT apply to folks with US primary residence?

LaTasha: Yes, that is correct.

PAUL: Do any ACH transactions qualify (like paying taxes via ACH), or is the debit card number required to be used by the tax service?

PAUL: Do checks written against the checking account qualify for miles?

LaTasha: No, I am sorry. Only transactions made with the card itself qualifies for skymiles.

PAUL: I gather that until July 25th, the 2k/4k cap is not effective.

PAUL: Is the $35k limit per day or some other time period please?

LaTasha: Yes, it is $35,000.00 per day.

LaTasha: The $35,000.00 is the limit on the Delta SkyMiles Card.

Last edited by uds0; May 26, 2015 at 10:01 am Reason: Added chat just completed at 9AM today
Old May 26, 2015, 11:46 am

Programs: Delta Reserve - PM
I don't think "LaTasha" knows what she is talking about.

The "OUTSIDE of the STATES listed above...." is very clear. Although she misinterpreted it for you.

Good luck.
Old May 29, 2015, 8:57 am

Although the "outside the States" is very clear, the several other reps I additionally chatted with are stating that that limit SHOULD apply to newly opened accounts only.

They also commented that the Delta card should finally become available once again in July 2015, but ONLY for the Advantage ($25k min bal to avoid $25 monthly fee) account, which remains 1 mile per $ but is limited to only 4k (vs 2k for existing balanced accounts) per 5th through 4th of month periods (not rolling 30 day).
Old May 31, 2015, 4:13 pm

I never received this letter, but I called SunTrust and they advised they had sent it, anyways the rep was able to pull up the letter and read it to me.

He stated it was capped at 4000 miles per card, and it was still 1 mile for every dollar spent pin based or signature and still the 2 miles for every dollar spent on Delta.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.