Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

delta short award flight (coded N) only 5000 miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2015, 8:38 pm
Original Poster

I thought the 2015 award chart shows the minimum required miles for any domestic flight at level 1 award is 12500 miles...... I have seen flights between Southern California and Bay Area available for 5000 miles one way with pretty good availability...

is this new? or is this one-time promotion?
Old May 15, 2015, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Dates and airports? Post a pic.
Old May 15, 2015, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
LAX-SJC/SFO/OAK/SMF, flexible date search (24 Jul +/- 3 days), not logged in
Old May 15, 2015, 9:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767
LAX-SJC/SFO/OAK/SMF, flexible date search (24 Jul +/- 3 days), not logged in
So is this a permanent thing or is this some type of temporary promotion? 5000 delta mile redemption for a short flight was unheard of.

I tried LAX-LAS, but this route is selling for 10000 miles at level I (coded N). Same for Bos-JFK, ATL-RDU.... looks like this pricing is only for LAX-Northern Cal... ?
Old May 15, 2015, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
I'm seeing 10k on many non-stop routes. Seems to be market-specific, and not distance-based, as some shorter routes are still 12.5k while other longer routes are 10k.

New fare basis codes: YSMK100 and YSMK050. 21 day advance purchase requirement is codified in the fare rules.
Old May 15, 2015, 10:02 pm
Original Poster

will delta revert the price back to 10K ~ 12.5K at a later date?
Old May 15, 2015, 10:08 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Shocking, I say - SHOCKING that I see the number 5,000 miles for a one-way redemption!

Either:

1) Too much bad publicity from sky-high mileage amounts needed for redemptions - OR -

2) It's a HUGE mistake, and either, won't ticket, or it'll be gone tomorrow.

edited to add . . . .

SAN/LAX is showing 10,000 miles one way

PDX/SEA & LAX/SFO - 5,000

Last edited by davetravels; May 15, 2015 at 10:18 pm
Old May 16, 2015, 9:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by javabytes
I'm seeing 10k on many non-stop routes. Seems to be market-specific, and not distance-based, as some shorter routes are still 12.5k while other longer routes are 10k.

New fare basis codes: YSMK100 and YSMK050. 21 day advance purchase requirement is codified in the fare rules.
Award seats at very low levels are booking into Y inventory? That would be very strange. I could also see people being given 150% MQM by the computer for these.
Old May 16, 2015, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Award seats at very low levels are booking into Y inventory? That would be very strange. I could also see people being given 150% MQM by the computer for these.
No. That's just what the fare basis codes have been for years. YSM125, for instance.
Old May 18, 2015, 8:56 am

Per Gary there are at least a few more of the 5K short haul awards other than LAX-SFO:

LAX-SMF
LAX-SJC
SEA-PDX

Surely/hopefully there are more of these 5K routes out there, should you stumble on any I'd appreciate it if you'd post them here (or maybe in a wiki).

Last edited by yanxfann; May 18, 2015 at 11:36 am
Old May 18, 2015, 9:40 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
I actually think this could be a very bad sign. With them taking away the award charts, they could be moving towards matching miles with fare. So 5,000 for LAX-SFO....and 500,000 for D1 TATL & TPAC trips.....
Old May 18, 2015, 10:45 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I actually think this could be a very bad sign. With them taking away the award charts, they could be moving towards matching miles with fare. So 5,000 for LAX-SFO....and 500,000 for D1 TATL & TPAC trips.....
Of course, but we've all known it's coming for several years - ever since Delta's plan to go to RBMA (Revenue-Based Mileage Accumulation) and FBATR (Fare-Based Award Travel Redemption) was known. RBMA is here, and the way for FBATR has been paved with Polaris (new res system) going live and award charts being removed, and it is right around the corner. The EOS (End of SkyMiles), Dullta's ultimate goal, is just about here. But that comes as no surprise. DL is just a few years behind schedule, but we've all known here that the EOS is the ultimate goal of DL. There's been plenty of warning and several years we've had to switch our flying and mileage accumulation to another program, that is more likely to stick around for longer in a more recognizable and useful form.
Old May 18, 2015, 12:40 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by RealHJ
Of course, but we've all known it's coming for several years - ever since Delta's plan to go to RBMA (Revenue-Based Mileage Accumulation) and FBATR (Fare-Based Award Travel Redemption) was known. RBMA is here, and the way for FBATR has been paved with Polaris (new res system) going live and award charts being removed, and it is right around the corner. The EOS (End of SkyMiles), Dullta's ultimate goal, is just about here. But that comes as no surprise. DL is just a few years behind schedule, but we've all known here that the EOS is the ultimate goal of DL. There's been plenty of warning and several years we've had to switch our flying and mileage accumulation to another program, that is more likely to stick around for longer in a more recognizable and useful form.
And what program would that be? American? I'm sure it is just a year or two behind Delta. Maybe AS, but also highly unpredictable how that will be in the future.
Old May 18, 2015, 1:09 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
And what program would that be? American? I'm sure it is just a year or two behind Delta. Maybe AS, but also highly unpredictable how that will be in the future.
Any major airline program other than Delta (if you stick with SkyTeam, you have plenty of options also). Practically all other major airline programs have published award charts and predictable, disclosed pricing with either zone-based or distance-based pricing, not FBATR. At FBATR in full force, the pricing for J awards will go up several fold, if DL is going to stick to a 1.5-3.0 cents value for SkyMiles (and even that is optimistic; DL just may go for 1cpm).

DL is alone, amongst major global airlines (to the best of my knowledge), in having NO award charts and totally arbitrary pricing (the last step before FBATR).
Old May 18, 2015, 1:33 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by RealHJ
Any major airline program other than Delta (if you stick with SkyTeam, you have plenty of options also). Practically all other major airline programs have published award charts and predictable, disclosed pricing with either zone-based or distance-based pricing, not FBATR. At FBATR in full force, the pricing for J awards will go up several fold, if DL is going to stick to a 1.5-3.0 cents value for SkyMiles (and even that is optimistic; DL just may go for 1cpm).

DL is alone, amongst major global airlines (to the best of my knowledge), in having NO award charts and totally arbitrary pricing (the last step before FBATR).
If Delta just canceled all mileage-based award redemptions tomorrow, and replaced them with Pay With Miles (for any ticket) at 2cpm, I'd take that tradeoff in a heartbeat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.