Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Speculation: Would DL every buy KL (49%)?

Old May 15, 2015, 8:18 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Considering that Delta just got itself a nice piece of the terminal in AMS, would it be conceivable that if the opportunity presents itself DL would buy a piece of KL (just like VS)?
Old May 15, 2015, 8:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
I really doubt it. Too much uncertainty having to deal with the French National Sport of striking and uncertainty about meddling by vacillating French governments.
Old May 15, 2015, 8:22 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
I really doubt it. Too much uncertainty having to deal with the French National Sport of strikes and uncertain meddling by the vacillating governments.
I mean, after an acrimoniously divorce of KL from AF
Old May 15, 2015, 8:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Sorry, please ignore my answer, for some reason I read your initial post as saying AF. Apologies.
Old May 15, 2015, 8:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
This management team is headed for trouble. You would think they would have learned their lesson from wholly owning ASA and Comair. It makes no sense for them to own such a large stake in Virgin Atlantic. DL needs to be focused on improving their own airline before they go investing in others.
Old May 15, 2015, 8:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
KLM by itself wouldn't be so bad, although DL showed in the merger that they didn't want to continue the nice cooperative arrangement that PMNW and KLM had enjoyed for years to their mutual benefits and to the benefit of passengers. The problem is that KLM is not independent of AF, which is frankly a hot mess, starting with union and strike issues (although KLM is not itself immune from strikes). Plus, I don't think KLM (or AF) employees would welcome even partially working for DL; there's too much of a union tradition and folks wouldn't welcome cost cuts.
Old May 16, 2015, 7:03 am

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
KLM by itself wouldn't be so bad, although DL showed in the merger that they didn't want to continue the nice cooperative arrangement that PMNW and KLM had enjoyed for years to their mutual benefits and to the benefit of passengers. The problem is that KLM is not independent of AF, which is frankly a hot mess, starting with union and strike issues (although KLM is not itself immune from strikes). Plus, I don't think KLM (or AF) employees would welcome even partially working for DL; there's too much of a union tradition and folks wouldn't welcome cost cuts.
If my memory serves, at one time before the AF/KL merger, KL wanted to buy NW but U.S. regulatory laws prevented it. Given the real synergies between the two carriers, that merge probably would have worked.
Old May 16, 2015, 7:40 am

Not Gonna Happen

Originally Posted by Dieuwer
Considering that Delta just got itself a nice piece of the terminal in AMS, would it be conceivable that if the opportunity presents itself DL would buy a piece of KL (just like VS)?
No. It is not about money, schedules, or unions, it is about national pride. Airline ownership is a European national pride thing. In the U.S. airlines are just commodities, but in Europe they are part of national identity.
Old May 16, 2015, 8:22 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Well, if AF/KL needed cash and DL had it, yes DL would buy an equity stake. The TATL JV is critical to their success and there is no way they could allow AF/KL to fail.

That being said, AF/KL are not splitting up and I don't think it would ever get to a situation where the options are either a DL cash infusion or failure.
Old May 16, 2015, 8:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Sabai
If my memory serves, at one time before the AF/KL merger, KL wanted to buy NW but U.S. regulatory laws prevented it. Given the real synergies between the two carriers, that merge probably would have worked.
There was a time in the 1990s when NW saved KLM from going under, and their staff resented it. I don't remember what the terms were, it could have been a loan rather than a percentage stake in the company.
Old May 16, 2015, 8:39 am

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
This management team is headed for trouble. You would think they would have learned their lesson from wholly owning ASA and Comair. It makes no sense for them to own such a large stake in Virgin Atlantic. DL needs to be focused on improving their own airline before they go investing in others.
I am sure you are correct that the DL mgmt team is headed for trouble. Never mind that they make more in one month than you will earn in a lifetime, you obviously know more than they do.

Take a biz course, bro. I suspect – because unlike you, I don’t know – that the investment in VS was at least as much protective as proactive. And here’s breaking news… many airlines invest in others, far too many to mention here. Does that mean all of them are "headed for trouble?"
Old May 16, 2015, 8:43 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Is KLM fully owned by AF?
Old May 16, 2015, 8:44 am

Programs: Discretely with AA-G AFFB-C2 UA-EP LHLX-S HH-D
Originally Posted by Dieuwer
To answer in a rumbling gathering guttural swell of utterly disdainful and scathing scorn, voiced by at least 78 million of our 17 million citizens here in NL:

Ga weg! GA WEG!

(and, no, it doesn't mean 'go away')
Old May 16, 2015, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Is KLM fully owned by AF?
Yes.

The OP concerns himself with second-order speculation: if AFKL were to spin off KL, would DL buy it? That's the kind of stuff that concerns investment bankers dreaming of fees, and of a.net, where every question no ridiculous has an outlet. 'Why no JFK-Albania service?'

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo....main/6374979/

DL's interest in KL would be piqued to keep it out of some competitor's hands. DL already has the TATL JV with all AF, KL, AZ trans-Atlantic - it doesn't need 49% of the rest.
Old May 16, 2015, 11:52 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Sez_Who
I am sure you are correct that the DL mgmt team is headed for trouble. Never mind that they make more in one month than you will earn in a lifetime, you obviously know more than they do.

Take a biz course, bro. I suspect – because unlike you, I don’t know – that the investment in VS was at least as much protective as proactive. And here’s breaking news… many airlines invest in others, far too many to mention here. Does that mean all of them are "headed for trouble?"
I'm not sure why some of you have to make things personal. You may not have taken much interest during Delta's bankruptcy days but ASA and Comair were a big problem and DL was desperately trying to unload them. They managed to sell off ASA to Skywest but they were unable to find a buyer for Comair and ultimately shut its doors.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.