Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Air Lines offers free flights for stranded Amtrak passengers

Delta Air Lines offers free flights for stranded Amtrak passengers

Old May 15, 2015, 6:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Earlier today major TV news outlets were criticizing the airlines (unnamed) for $600-1000 coach fares along the eastern seaboard. One reporter I heard made the point that these are ordinary coach fares, but only the more expensive fare class seats were available and all of the flights were essentially completely full, but he didn't explain things very well.

Still, if aircraft are available, it seems like a no brainer to send them to these routes and add extra flights until AmTrak is fully operational again.

Smart move by DL, but I'm surprised that DL didn't at least add some capacity ASAP after the derailment first hit the news. Agility could be improved here.
Old May 15, 2015, 9:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott, Delta, United, AA
Originally Posted by thoiboi
Delta haters will be in here shortly to belittle this move in 3...2....1.

(Can't we just look past the intention and see that they're actually providing value to the people affected?)

Well lets call a spade a spade. Delta is doing this because the New York Times published an article criticizing delta for charging $1300 one way or something super high on the LGA-DCA shuttle and they call out delta specifically.

This is a PR move, that article has been well discussed in the tri state area and local NY media has been reporting what people think is price gauging on the route too. I know the way airlines price so I don't think its price gauging but there have been a lot of reports in the NY local media on this, delta is trying to do some damage control. I am not saying its wrong I think its a good move this has been a lot of coverage but they did this for damage control that's reality
Old May 15, 2015, 10:00 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by bdlman
Well lets call a spade a spade. Delta is doing this because the New York Times published an article criticizing delta for charging $1300 one way or something super high on the LGA-DCA shuttle and they call out delta specifically.

This is a PR move, that article has been well discussed in the tri state area and local NY media has been reporting what people think is price gauging on the route too. I know the way airlines price so I don't think its price gauging but there have been a lot of reports in the NY local media on this, delta is trying to do some damage control. I am not saying its wrong I think its a good move this has been a lot of coverage but they did this for damage control that's reality
DL can charge whatever it sees fit for a flight. But, nothing says you have to buy a ticket for $1300.

It's a nice move by DL to get these stranded folks where they need to go. It's good PR.
Old May 15, 2015, 10:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Originally Posted by bdlman

OP here: I am sure this is a PR move, but what is a full Y price on these shuttle flts? If it was $1300 prior to this accident - it is what it is, if not - that is a problem. I live on the West Coast and do not take these flts, I found the news release 3 mins after hitting Yahoo.

Is US/AA offering free flts?
Old May 15, 2015, 10:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Well, ^. But talk a quick change of heart. Just yesterday I think it was the NYT that was reporting that DL was trying to sell $2,300 one way shuttle tickets after the Amtrak accident.
Old May 15, 2015, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Sabai
Whatever the motivation, this offer is sure to be appreciated by those who might be stranded.

Well done DL.
I agree as well. I am pretty sure that they are appreciated it. They will helps the passengers. That was very thoughtful of Delta & Amtrak.
Old May 15, 2015, 10:46 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by Widgets
There could not have been that many people who were delayed by the Amtrak crash
On a typical weekday, there are about 16 (+/-) Acela Express trains between Washington and New York, each with a capacity of 304 passengers. Not every seat is necessarily sold, obviously, but a seat can also be sold twice (WAS-PHL and then again PHL-NYP). Assuming each seat is sold exactly once, that's just under 5000 passengers each way per day, or about 10000 round trip.

And that's just the Acela. Now let's add in the Regional trains (which can vary in length, so let's just call that another 10000), not to mention SEPTA commuter trains that normally run between Philadelphia and Trenton (another 12000 passengers per day). And the long distance trains (especially from Florida) that use this route to get to NY. So let's call it about 35000 people affected each day that trains aren't running.

In a country of 300M+, I guess that's not that many, but in comparison to the normally scheduled regional jets flying these routes it's several times larger.
Old May 16, 2015, 12:41 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Widgets
There could not have been that many people who were delayed by the Amtrak crash, but everyone is going to read about how Delta offered its shuttle service as an alternative.

With that post taken care of, kudos to Delta, PR move or not. They are a business and could've charged $2000 on this route all they wanted.
Old May 16, 2015, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by airplanegod

With that post taken care of, kudos to Delta, PR move or not. They are a business and could've charged $2000 on this route all they wanted.
There are some here who would claim that DL is ignoring their fiduciary responsibilities to the stockholders if they don't try to charge $2000.

Old May 16, 2015, 2:01 pm

Programs: DL FO
Originally Posted by bennos
On a typical weekday, there are about 16 (+/-) Acela Express trains between Washington and New York, each with a capacity of 304 passengers. Not every seat is necessarily sold, obviously, but a seat can also be sold twice (WAS-PHL and then again PHL-NYP). Assuming each seat is sold exactly once, that's just under 5000 passengers each way per day, or about 10000 round trip.

And that's just the Acela. Now let's add in the Regional trains (which can vary in length, so let's just call that another 10000), not to mention SEPTA commuter trains that normally run between Philadelphia and Trenton (another 12000 passengers per day). And the long distance trains (especially from Florida) that use this route to get to NY. So let's call it about 35000 people affected each day that trains aren't running.

In a country of 300M+, I guess that's not that many, but in comparison to the normally scheduled regional jets flying these routes it's several times larger.
To further expand on this... in 2014, there were more than 11 million unique trips on Amtrak (regional and Acela combined) between DC and Boston. That averages to 30,000 passenger/trips per day. Obviously, those trips do not always span the Philly-NYC segment that is currently out of service, but that is one of the busier segments since it's right in the middle of the route.
Old May 16, 2015, 2:14 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
There are some here who would claim that DL is ignoring their fiduciary responsibilities to the stockholders if they don't try to charge $2000.

I assume those shareholders are to busy writing angry letters to Richard Anderson to have time to post right now.

Yeah, its a PR move and nothing wrong with calling a spade a spade on that, especially if they were getting a bunch of negative press for their prices. Plus they probably figure it could help them earn future market share on those routes. Delta isn't doing this out of the goodness of their hearts. But it also legitimately helps people out. So good on them for that.
Old May 16, 2015, 2:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is no reason why a savvy business move can't also be good for the consumer. For those who are stuck on Bolt Bus or worse, this is a welcome development. For DL, it is good for the brand and may win it a few customers.

That is the essence of a good business deal and that is all a ticket represents: a business deal.
Old May 16, 2015, 7:09 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Delta DM Hilton Diamond SPG Gold, and Foodland premium.
Agreed. Great move on delta's part. I was once in the delta club in DCA with a NYC DCA commuter. It's an interesting system that I did not know even existed. It had a lot of flexibility that I did not know seven existed.
Posting to keep this at the top through the 19th.
Old May 17, 2015, 5:57 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by mpheels
Obviously, those trips do not always span the Philly-NYC segment that is currently out of service, but that is one of the busier segments since it's right in the middle of the route.
Indeed, PHL is the second busiest station in the system after NYP.

Originally Posted by Often1
There is no reason why a savvy business move can't also be good for the consumer. For those who are stuck on Bolt Bus or worse, this is a welcome development.
Eh, Bolt Bus isn't that bad. Free wifi and power at every seat, and seat pitch comparable to the airlines. Plus a free checked bag and two carry ons. Oh and the most expensive tickets are maybe $30. The demographic is very different from Greyhound.

But if that's too low class there's always Limoliner, at least between NY and Boston.
Old May 17, 2015, 1:14 pm

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bennos
Eh, Bolt Bus isn't that bad. Free wifi and power at every seat, and seat pitch comparable to the airlines.
Also free fireworks on some trips. Kaboom!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.