Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Pay fare difference for F after ticketing?

Old May 15, 2015, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat

Hi all,

I am not a DL flyer and a search didn't seem to return anything. Is it possible to buy a ticket and after receipt call-in and pay the fare difference to F? Have a flight next week where the difference between the two is $40 but corporate policy is no F on domestic flights. I am happy to eat the $40 myself for a bigger seat close to the front of the plane to make my 42 minute connection. I just can't find anything on if DL actually allows this.
Old May 15, 2015, 12:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You can cancel any ticket exUSA purchased from DL within 24 hours (actually midnight of the following day) for a full refund without penalty. You would do a new purchase of the FC ticket you want at that time. However, there's no guarantee of the FC fare you're seeing now. Moreover, the new ticket will have a different ticket number, which technically is the one for which you would request reimbursement.

The situation is different if the ticket was purchased from a corporate travel agent or with a corporate travel card as, at the very least, the refund will be to the original means of payment.
Old May 15, 2015, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
You can cancel any ticket exUSA purchased from DL within 24 hours (actually midnight of the following day) for a full refund without penalty. You would do a new purchase of the FC ticket you want at that time. However, there's no guarantee of the FC fare you're seeing now. Moreover, the new ticket will have a different ticket number, which technically is the one for which you would request reimbursement.

The situation is different if the ticket was purchased from a corporate travel agent or with a corporate travel card as, at the very least, the refund will be to the original means of payment.
Yeah, canceling wouldn't work for billing/reimbursement purposes. It needs to be the same ticket #.

Looks like I'm out of luck.
Old May 15, 2015, 12:20 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Call and ask. If you find the right agent, they'll waive the change fee since you're paying to go from coach to F.
Old May 15, 2015, 12:21 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
I don't think you would need to cancel. They should be able to just change your ticket, or even if they do technically cancel, they should be able to apply that credit to a new ticket and just collect the fare difference from you, without ever refunding to the original form of payment. Make sure they don't try to collect a change fee ($200). In this case, when you are buying up on the same flight, they should be able to waive the fee. If the person you are speaking with will not, ask for a supervisor.
Old May 15, 2015, 12:24 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Hartmann
Yeah, canceling wouldn't work for billing/reimbursement purposes. It needs to be the same ticket #.

Looks like I'm out of luck.
They can do it over the phone no problem. They won't charge the change fee either (it is in most fare rules). There will be a new ticket number but my corporate travel agency has never had an issue with upgrading after the fact. They can keep track of reissues so know what is going on.

Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
Call and ask. If you find the right agent, they'll waive the change fee since you're paying to go from coach to F.
IME - the fare rules specify that upgrading cabins doesn't incur the change fee.
Old May 15, 2015, 12:25 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I don't think you would need to cancel. They should be able to just change your ticket, or even if they do technically cancel, they should be able to apply that credit to a new ticket and just collect the fare difference from you, without ever refunding to the original form of payment. Make sure they don't try to collect a change fee ($200). In this case, when you are buying up on the same flight, they should be able to waive the fee. If the person you are speaking with will not, ask for a supervisor.
DL would still need to reissue the ticket as FC with the FC fare code. This would require a new ticket number.

BTW, the ticket number is printed on boarding passes, so a requirement to submit boarding passes means that someone could notice and question the discrepancy if one were to try to just submit the old coach ticket receipt with the old ticket number.

Needless to say, you can get into big trouble if you request reimbursement for a ticket that has been refunded.
Old May 15, 2015, 12:28 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
DL would still need to reissue the ticket as FC with the FC fare code. This would require a new ticket number.

BTW, the ticket number is printed on boarding passes, so a requirement to submit boarding passes means that someone could notice and question the discrepancy if one were to try to just submit the old coach ticket receipt with the old ticket number.
I had no idea that some policies require submitting a boarding pass. Seems a bit over the top, especially if booking is happening through a corporate agent.
Old May 15, 2015, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I had no idea that some policies require submitting a boarding pass. Seems a bit over the top, especially if booking is happening through a corporate agent.
I book my own travel, but almost always am required to submit boarding passes. No boarding passes on my iphone for me!
Old May 15, 2015, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks for all the input. I can deal with an exit row on a CR9 and an A320. The question will be if I can make the 42 minute connection at MSP (mainline to regional).
Old May 15, 2015, 12:40 pm

Thanks for all the input. I can deal with an exit row on a CR9 and an A320. The question will be if I can make the 42 minute connection at MSP (mainline to regional).
Gates that your flights usually use? I'm guessing that the CRJ-900 will be at a high C gate. The A320 could be somewhat lower C, D, F, or G, although probably not G1-G6 as they're used for international.
Old May 15, 2015, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Gates that your flights usually use? I'm guessing that the CRJ-900 will be at a high C gate. The A320 could be somewhat lower C, D, F, or G, although probably not G1-G6 as they're used for international.
Looks like mid-F gates or high-G usually for the A320. CR9 flight has consistently left from the C-20s.
Old May 15, 2015, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Looks like mid-F gates or high-G usually for the A320. CR9 flight has consistently left from the C-20s.
High-G to C is quick. F, not so much.
Old May 15, 2015, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
I used to book the coach seat, wait until the confirmation e-mail arrived, and then call the Diamond line to do the buy-up.

Now, I book the coach seat, wait until the confirmation e-mail arrives (within a minute or so), and then go to the seat selection page where, so far invariably, I get the buy-up option for the same price.

I have the original receipt for fairly invoicing the client, and the FC reservation, without having to make the phone call.
Old May 15, 2015, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
I used to book the coach seat, wait until the confirmation e-mail arrived, and then call the Diamond line to do the buy-up.

Now, I book the coach seat, wait until the confirmation e-mail arrives (within a minute or so), and then go to the seat selection page where, so far invariably, I get the buy-up option for the same price.

I have the original receipt for fairly invoicing the client, and the FC reservation, without having to make the phone call.
However, it's still a different ticket number, although the old one might be shown if it's processed as a reissue rather than a cancellation and purchase.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.