Wiki Posts
Search

Question about Delta voucher

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2015, 11:45 am
Original Poster

Hi-

My wife and I recently were given $800 vouchers from Delta for being bumped. We were told that that our trip must be completed with the voucher one year after receiving it which, in this case, means April of 2016. For reasons too long to state here, we are not able to travel by next April. We are, however, able to travel next summer. Is there anything that can be done to lengthen the life of the voucher? It would be great if we could book a trip in the next few months for next summer.

Thanks.
Old May 8, 2015, 11:53 am

Programs: Delta Plat Kool-Aid Drinker, Hyatt Diamond, SPG GM, Marriott GM, Hilton GM, and Priority Club GM

Needs to be just BOOKED prior to exp date.
Old May 8, 2015, 11:57 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Moving thread to DL Forum.
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old May 8, 2015, 11:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPDeltaDude
Needs to be just BOOKED prior to exp date.
That is what I thought, but I called Delta on three occasions and was told the trip had to be completed by then. Flights aren't yet listed for summer of 2016 so I can't test it out myself.
Old May 8, 2015, 12:49 pm

Programs: DL, Hyatt, National
In my experience, BOOKED not TRAVELED.
Old May 8, 2015, 2:41 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
I agree with others, but can OP verify that these are certs for taking a bump to another flight, and not a residue of a DL cancelled/changed and not flown flight (which would be needed to complete within 1 year).
Old May 8, 2015, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by exwannabe
I agree with others, but can OP verify that these are certs for taking a bump to another flight, and not a residue of a DL cancelled/changed and not flown flight (which would be needed to complete within 1 year).
It was a bump to another flight. Is there anyway that they would give this to me in writing? I'd hate to try to book in January of 2016 for travel that summer only to be told that I can't fly then...
Old May 8, 2015, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by zkornhauser
It was a bump to another flight. Is there anyway that they would give this to me in writing?
You should have been given terms of use of the voucher when you got the voucher. IIRC, it's DL practice for VDB and DOT-mandated for IDB.
Old May 8, 2015, 4:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It was a bump to another flight. Is there anyway that they would give this to me in writing? I'd hate to try to book in January of 2016 for travel that summer only to be told that I can't fly then...
Have you looked at your voucher and tried to read its T&C? What's written these is essentially your contract with DL.

By bump, do you mean VDB? I.e., you were at the gate (or at least at the airport) on time for a confirmed flight that was oversold and you volunteered to be rebooked onto another (later) flight?
Old May 8, 2015, 4:53 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Have you looked at your voucher and tried to read its T&C?
They aren't very clear in this regard.

Redemption Instructions
To redeem, you will need the Voucher number .
Redeem this voucher when booking travel using any of the channels specified below:
- Book your reservation quickly and easily online, by visiting delta.com. From www.delta.com, under the 'Book a Trip' tab, click on 'Redeem a Certificate or eCredit,' provide the requested information, and continue your booking.
- Call Delta Reservations and advise the agent that you are redeeming a Delta eCerts certificate (a Direct Ticketing Charge may apply). In U.S. and Canada, call 800-221-1212 or 800-225-2525. In Japan, call 0120-120-747 or 0476-31-8000. In all other countries, please contact your local Delta Reservations office.
- Call Delta Vacations at 800-800-1504 (Travel Agents call: 800-727-1111). This certificate applies exclusively to the air portion of your itinerary.
Terms & Conditions
Value: The face amount of this voucher may be applied to the purchase of any ticket for passenger travel within the Delta system worldwide on Delta/Delta Shuttle/Delta Connection, Air France, KLM, and Delta designated codeshare flights. It is valid for payment of published fares and government-imposed ticket taxes/charges only. It may not be used to pay other fees relating to passenger travel including baggage fees, or charges for the shipment of cargo. Voucher has no cash value.
Validity Period: Voucher is valid for one year from date of issue. Validity period will not be extended.
Ticketing Information: Please redeem this voucher at www.delta.com/redeem. Redemptions at www.delta.com/redeem will not incur a transaction fee. Fees will apply if voucher is redeemed through any other Delta location. Voucher may not be redeemed at travel agencies, other airlines, or other travel websites. Once ticketed, penalties may a pply for changes, per the fare rule purchased.
Residual Value: If redeemed for less than its face value, the residual value of an voucher(s) may be applied to subsequent ticket purchases at www.delta.com/redeem. The expiration date of the original Voucher will apply to any residual value. Residual value of a voucher may only be used by the original voucher owner.
Redemption/Transferability: Voucher is non-transferable unless assigned to someone traveling with the original voucher owner on the same reservation at the time the voucher is being redeemed. Delta assumes no responsibility for unauthorized use of the voucher by any person who presents it for redemption. A maximum of one voucher per passenger may be applied and used on one ticket. Paper vouchers cannot be redeemed online. To redeem a paper voucher, visit a Delta ticket counter at the airport or a Delta Ticket Office
Theft or Loss: Voucher will not be replaced if lost or stolen.
Sale/Barter Prohibited: Voucher may not be sold, bartered, duplicated or altered by the Owner or any designee. Voucher or ticket obtained through prohibited sale/barter/duplication transactions are void and will not be honored or travel permitted.
By redeeming this Voucher, the owner and designee(if any) acknowledge the content of these Terms and Conditions and agrees to be bound by them.
Vouchers are not combinable with gift certificates, dollars off certificates, percent off certificates, or complementary travel certificates.
See www.delta.com/redeem for current Terms and Conditions.
Terms and Conditions are subject to change at any time.
These Terms and Conditions apply to vouchers whose first six digits begin with 006066 or 006064.
IME it is ticketed by the expiration date, not travel by. OP - can you tweet them with the question and see if you get a response? You could also try sending an email if you want it in writing
Old May 8, 2015, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. I was voluntarily denied boarding. The language on the voucher is as follows: "voucher validity is valid for one year from date of issue."

This led me to think that I could book for next summer, but the reps have been telling me otherwise...
Old May 8, 2015, 5:38 pm

I hope this helps. I have a cert I received for a bump on 4/1/2015. It's in my Delta Wallet. I just tried to book a flight for 1 year plus a couple of days from the date of issue (it won't let me go out further than that because you can only book 330 days out). They WILL let me book after 1 year, so I feel certain you can book more than 1 year out! Good luck.
Old May 10, 2015, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, again, for the replies. I tweeted at Delta about this question. Hoping they provide a favorable answer...
Old May 10, 2015, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Thanks for the responses. I was voluntarily denied boarding. The language on the voucher is as follows: "voucher validity is valid for one year from date of issue."

This led me to think that I could book for next summer, but the reps have been telling me otherwise...
It's too early to book for next summer irrespective of form of payment. No bookings more than 331 days out. One might hope that the system's error message to the agent was specific.
Old May 30, 2015, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
So I booked a ticket with a VDB voucher - which is now expired based on original exp date.

Now, there has been a major schedule change on DTW-ICN, causing a misconnect. Ideally I would like to cancel the ticket, but what would happen with the ecredit used, lost forever?

Not familiar with DL vouchers at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.