Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Original routing credit- is this a change in policy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2015, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.

Recent TATL trip- several weeks before departure, DL had a schedule change and so they rerouted me. The new routing resulted in a decrease of 1600 MQM's and 1500 Sky Miles. (it included segment changes from KL to Transavia, a KL regional subsidiary that isn't part of Skyteam and doesn't earn miles)

My request for original routing credit was denied, with the explanation that:
the schedule change took place prior to departure. The only time we post the originally booked tickets are impacted by a delay. I show the change in routing was done due to a schedule change. Regretfully, we do not post the original miles due to schedule changes.
Is this a new policy or a change in policy? I thought that, as long as the change was forced from their end and not by the passengers wishes or request, they used to grant original routing credit.
Old May 7, 2015, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
That's an interesting statement. I don't recall things being expressed that way. IMHO it suggests that acceptance of a re-route from a schedule change is always a passenger's choice, with the alternative a refund. One could rationalize day-of-schedule IROPs the same way, if they want to get sticky about it.
Old May 7, 2015, 10:20 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Delta 2MM, HHonors Gold, Bonvoy Titanium
I was just wondering about this issue.

I booked SIN-NRT-JFK-LAX and a schedule change would have only given me a 54-minute connection in JFK to clear immigration and customs and make my connection.

I called Delta and they rerouted me SIN-NRT-ATL-LAX.

I was going to request ORC after the flight but sounds like that may not happen.

Any other similar experiences?
Old May 7, 2015, 10:33 pm

Programs: DL Million Miler
An inverse experience: I was booked MSN-DTW-ATL-LFT a month ago.

Took a bump in DTW, so flew MSN-DTW-CVG-ATL-LFT (it really wasn't that bad, and flight attendants do routings like this all day every day).

At first only the MSN-DTW and ATL-LFT segments were credited. So I requested that the DTW-CVG and CVG-ATL segments also be credited (more interested in MQMs than the miles) and sent a .jpg of my DTW-CVG-ATL boarding passes.

They then credited me with what was originally booked - - not what was flown (got MQMs for MSN-DTW-ATL-LFT, but not for the extra CVG junket).
Old May 7, 2015, 10:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Mine wasn't a matter of adding a stop, but I had an IROPs rebooking (done at the airport on the day of departure due to a mechanical delay) last month and received credit for the flights as flown.
Old May 7, 2015, 10:51 pm

I recently got re-routed to fly a shorter / more direct path due to oversold.
I requested for ORC and got them (after many days)
There seems to be a backlog in their email queue.
Old May 8, 2015, 4:27 am

Programs: Delta DM, SWA Styrofoam, Marriott Rew, SPG, HHonors
My recent experiences, one mechanical and one schedule change, are hard push to either cancel & credit or to reschedule. In both cases I was happy with the changes so I don't care about miles. In the travel with the mechanical delay it was lousy weather and looking like a unrewarding trip. The cancel and refund was fine with me and they moved my return travel up two days, into First as booked, with a near immediate departure. Better than miles...
Old May 8, 2015, 11:25 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Amb./LTP
Interesting comments. I may have told this story on here before, but in my experience with ORC and an oversold flight I received credit for the flights where I was BIS.
Was booked SEA-ATL-CLT, the SEA-ATL red-eye was oversold so I took a bump to SEA-MSP-CLT departing 1 hour later. While waiting for the flight to MSP, I got a notification that my morning flight was already delayed and it gave me the option to rebook, so I rebooked myself SEA-MSP-ATL-CLT, and that's the route I got MQM credit for.

Also, FWIW a few months ago I was booked CLT-ATL-SNA when CLT-ATL went MX. They rebooked me on US direct CLT-LAX but still credited me with the CLT-ATL-SNA MQMs. If I recall correctly, I did have to email them for that, though.
Old May 8, 2015, 12:05 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Close both LGA and JFK, and build a huge floating airport out on the sound with a bullet train down the East River.

Anybody have a spare trillion dollars?

I mean, as long as we can live in fantasy worlds, might as well go for the gold.
Old May 8, 2015, 2:29 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Amb./LTP
Originally Posted by exwannabe
Close both LGA and JFK, and build a huge floating airport out on the sound with a bullet train down the East River.

Anybody have a spare trillion dollars?

I mean, as long as we can live in fantasy worlds, might as well go for the gold.
I believe you're looking for this thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...close-lga.html
Old May 9, 2015, 10:48 am

Programs: Delta - PM, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Plat
ORC for VDB

Last month my wife and I were scheduled to fly home DFW-SLC-MCO. Just prior to the beginning of boarding, the GA called our names and asked if we wanted to fly direct and get home early. It was an easy decision. We took an AA flight and I assumed I would have to ask for ORC, but the original flights were credited automatically.

I would not assume that you would get credit for changes made to a flight. For example, if a schedule change was made and you could get a free change and you were able to take a direct flight, that would be what you would get credit for.
Old May 9, 2015, 11:11 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Gargoyle
Recent TATL trip- several weeks before departure, DL had a schedule change and so they rerouted me. The new routing resulted in a decrease of 1600 MQM's and 1500 Sky Miles. (it included segment changes from KL to Transavia, a KL regional subsidiary that isn't part of Skyteam and doesn't earn miles)
Call and REFUSE to accept the substitute itinerary. Tell them to find something on pure Delta or AF/KL metal.
Old May 9, 2015, 11:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Dieuwer
Call and REFUSE to accept the substitute itinerary. Tell them to find something on pure Delta or AF/KL metal.
I think the OP has already flown the flights and now is trying to get mileage credit ex post.
Old May 9, 2015, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've always viewed advance schedule changes and IRROP's as being different. With advance changes, I assumed once you accepted the change, that was the mileage you got.
Old May 9, 2015, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by LBJ
I've always viewed advance schedule changes and IRROP's as being different. With advance changes, I assumed once you accepted the change, that was the mileage you got.
+1

I always thought ORC was granted as a result of IROPS only, which advance schedule changes are not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.