Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL to start SEA-MCO

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2015, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Does Delta have any non-stops from Seattle (SEA) to anywhere in Florida?

If not, why?? Also, are there any plans to have them?

I'm looking for someone other than Alaska to open a route to Orlando (MCO).
Old Jan 8, 2015, 11:07 am
havnfn

Programs: Delta-DM; Hilton-Diamond; Hyatt-Diamond
Not according to their downloadable flight schedules program.

The only time I've seen a non-stop from SEA-MCO was when my wife and I were looking at a return from OGG. They partner with AS for that non-stop.

btw, howdy neighbor! (Winter Garden...the part close to Windermere )
Old Jan 8, 2015, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by ethanwa
If not, why??
They obviously don't find it profitable enough to do so. I promise you that any route they find enough profit in they will fly. Having said that, they appear to still be building a hub in SEA and I expect further expansion there but who knows on what timeline.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 11:14 am

Programs: United - PG, Marriott Silver
As of now AS has service to TPA and FLL and 2x MCO. AA has service to MIA.

Because Florida is such a high volume leisure destination, those living in the Pacific Northwest can do many of the things that draw people to FL with a much shorter trip. Another factor might be that for a trip that is essentially a full day trip already (6 hours +3 time zones) there may be less of a premium on a non-stop flight, especially when 2 of the 5 SEA-FL flights are red eyes. Just doubt there is significant demand.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 11:45 am

I would say for a flight that is about as long as you can get and still be in the continental US it would be tough for DL to get enough high enough fares to make it profitable when other airlines already have the routes and they are primarily leisure markets.

Plus it's not like you can just pull an CRJ-900 for the route to test the waters.

Possible that DL puts in a MIA or TPA flight but I would say doubtful.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 1:25 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Delta's interactive route map offers an easy way to determine nonstop destinations from a given airport. From SEA, the nonstop destination nearest to Florida is, predictably, ATL.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 1:41 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Pretty much all of DL's SEA build up has been cities in the Rockies or to the west. The only cities DL serves nonstop from SEA east of the Rockies are hub cities. I'm guessing this is due to plane utilization; a single plane can make multiple SEA-LAX runs in one day but can only do one SEA-BOS roundtrip in that same timeframe.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
If DL sticks to the plan it will add ~30 more peak daily flights from SEA this year. (I wouldn't bet on MCO or MIA in that bunch, however.)
Old Jan 8, 2015, 5:12 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I won't get my hopes up.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 6:05 pm

I'd say there isn't a whole lot of traffic that isn't covered by existing nonstops. What little extra traffic exists is probably best covered by existing 1 stop options.

Last edited by airindia787; Jan 8, 2015 at 7:56 pm
Old Jan 8, 2015, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by houserulz77
As of now AS has service to TPA and FLL and 2x MCO. AA has service to MIA.

Because Florida is such a high volume leisure destination, those living in the Pacific Northwest can do many of the things that draw people to FL with a much shorter trip. Another factor might be that for a trip that is essentially a full day trip already (6 hours +3 time zones) there may be less of a premium on a non-stop flight, especially when 2 of the 5 SEA-FL flights are red eyes. Just doubt there is significant demand.
But MIA is a good transit point for South America, which commands higher fares.
Also IME comparable destinations to FL (i.e. California) are considerably more expensive and offer less value (in the case of Disneyland vs Disneyworld.)
That being said, I have seen many UA fares which allow stopovers in SFO (i.e. even some discounted K fares i.e. LHRYVR can have stopovers for £50) while this is not true for FL.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
Pretty much all of DL's SEA build up has been cities in the Rockies or to the west. The only cities DL serves nonstop from SEA east of the Rockies are hub cities. I'm guessing this is due to plane utilization; a single plane can make multiple SEA-LAX runs in one day but can only do one SEA-BOS roundtrip in that same timeframe.
I think SEA is more to beef up the west coast to Asia routes and to steal business from AS. Not much AS coverage to compete with on the eastern seaboard.

With low prices to Hawaii from the west coast, who needs Florida or the Caribbean.
Old May 4, 2015, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
DL to start SEA-MCO

Didn't see the thread. DL to start Seattle to Orlando, FL. Starts December 19, 2015.

Leave SEA 10pm arrives 6:30am DL 1901
Return:
Leaves 7am arrives 10:15 DL2401 from MCO-SEA

Alaska can fight them off, gives Delta 5 years in SEA and we will see AS come out even stronger.
Old May 4, 2015, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Great news up until I read it was a 738... Yuck!
Old May 4, 2015, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
What were you expecting, if not a 738? AS does the route with a 738 or 739.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.