Time to get from plane to train in AMS

Old May 4, 2015, 10:51 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
OTOH, at German train stations, it's often organized so that you simply walk across the track for the connection. In principle, this should work for the ICE (to ICE) trains.
Heavens to Betsy!!!

I would think this would be VERBOTEN, and probably not too healthy!!!

Old May 4, 2015, 10:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by davetravels
Heavens to Betsy!!!

I would think this would be VERBOTEN, and probably not too healthy!!!

Sorry. Not awake yet. I meant walk across the platform in the sense that the trains use adjacent tracks and you don't need to go down and up again or around toward the main part of the station to connect, but rather you just walk directly across from one train to the other.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; May 4, 2015 at 9:42 pm
Old May 4, 2015, 9:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 2MM; EK Silver; HH Gold
Originally Posted by davetravels
Since you've got a work dinner, may I ask why you're not simply flying to Berlin, vs taking such a long train ride?
Darned fair question. Been wondering the same. Dinner was added later after I made flight plans. Original plan had been to tool around Amsterdam for much of day and then take a late train to Berlin. Last nonstop to TXL departs at 1430. But now I think you're right and I'll just get on that flight. At least this way I can shower on arrival too.
Old May 4, 2015, 10:02 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
I show a 4:45 PM and a later evening flight on KL, but I'm not sure it's available. EasyJet has a 5:25PM to SXF Berlin Schoenefeld airport.
Old May 4, 2015, 10:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
DB is expected to strike starting at 2 Tuesday and continuing for five days. OP should watch the news on this so as to know whether the strike ends when expected and if there are likely to be further strikes a bit later.
Old May 5, 2015, 9:59 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by Grouchy
10 minutes if your arrival gate is E3 or so. If it is further away (D43 for example) add another 5-10 minutes.

Depending on your schedule you can either use Schiphol (to Amsterdam Centraal and then directly to Berlin) or Amsterdam Centraal

http://www.ns.nl/en/travellers/home
This. Maximum 15 minutes. If there is an unusual queue at one immigration area; just find another one (i.e. immigration by F gates is backed up, use the ones by D gates; but I highly doubt this will be an issue).

Also familiarize yourself with the post-immigration layout. You will preferably be near Departures 2 (arrivals), but the train station is very central and right by Starbucks. I can post a great pano-photo, if you desire. (this is where you will buy tickets if you have not done so in advance for your long distance train)
Old May 5, 2015, 6:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by baccarat_king
This. Maximum 15 minutes. If there is an unusual queue at one immigration area; just find another one (i.e. immigration by F gates is backed up, use the ones by D gates; but I highly doubt this will be an issue).

Also familiarize yourself with the post-immigration layout. You will preferably be near Departures 2 (arrivals), but the train station is very central and right by Starbucks. I can post a great pano-photo, if you desire. (this is where you will buy tickets if you have not done so in advance for your long distance train)
Thanks for the tips. And, if the offer is still valid, please do post the pic.
Old May 5, 2015, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by irfan23
I'm flying DL to AMS on 5/16 (arriving 5/17 at 0945 hrs). I'm in J and won't have any checked luggage and I can move pretty fast when needed. I need to get a train to Berlin and can do either from Schipol or from Centraal.

First question is how long should I expect it to take to get from deplaning to clearing immigration/customs and getting to the train?

Second question is for those who've taken the train from AMS to Berlin before, would you recommend leaving from Schipol (via Hannover) or just the direct from Centraal?

Thanks in advance for any advice you might have and, if you think I'd have more luck posting over at the Flying Blue forum, let me know.
Do you have Privium?
Old May 6, 2015, 3:47 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by irfan23
Thanks for the tips. And, if the offer is still valid, please do post the pic.
Will do, I have to just get it uploaded.

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
Do you have Privium?
It would be "super-strange" for one who has never/or hardly ever visits AMS to pay for Privium. (not to mention, you have to do the interview @ Amsterdam Schiphol, prior to approval)
Old May 7, 2015, 6:52 pm
Original Poster

Yeah, no Privium (though I am Global Entry stateside).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.