Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2 One Ways cheaper than 1 Round Trip?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2015, 1:18 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PLAT, Marriot Plat, IHG Plat, SPG Gold, A couple of other airlines - pee on
Originally Posted by LBJ
The difference in price is due to the fact that return ticket is priced in Canadian dollars when purchased as two one-way's. The roundtrip ticket is priced entirely in US dollars. You are ignoring condition 4 in the BFG T & C's --

"The purchased ticket must be an electronic ticket purchased in U.S. dollars at delta.com for travel originating in the U.S., U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico and Canada."
I have to disagree on this. The comparison is based on a round trip travel between SAN and YYC. Expedia broke it out as two one ways, however, the search was as a round trip. For best price guarantee purposes.

Therefore, SAN-YYC-SAN is priced in USD for both Delta and Expedia.

Still does not explain the fact (after factoring currency exchange) why two one ways were priced cheaper than one round trip same class, routing, and times.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Canada is a different market and prices are set separately for flights that originate from that market. It's likely that if you booked as two one ways on the Delta.com, the price will be the same (once you do the currency conversion from CAD). DL is likely going to argue that two one-way tickets is not the same as a round-trip ticket. And that if you book the exact same ticket (as two one-ways) on delta.com, the price is the same after the CAD conversion.

Last edited by xliioper; Apr 28, 2015 at 1:39 pm
Old Apr 28, 2015, 1:36 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by kaaria
As suspected the Delta Price Guarantee request failed.
Oh what a surprise. "Guarantee", yeah.

Originally Posted by kaaria
Still does not explain the fact (after factoring currency exchange) why two one ways were priced cheaper than one round trip same class, routing, and times.
One difference I can spot is if you want to cancel your trip, you'd face two cancellation fees on two OW tickets instead of just one on one roundtrip ticket. Therefore, fare rules actually differ. Maybe that's the reason.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 7:59 am
Used to be guidogh

Programs: FB Ultimate, Hertz Platinum, Star Aliiance Gold
I need a same day return on DL domestic. for the outbound, I dont need flexibility or anything so I can book one way basic economy (E). returnflight I do need it so book a one way main cabin (V). that way i pay less then a complete main cabin round trip.
Am I missing something, or is this the best way to do it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.