On Upgrade list with no status?

Old Apr 27, 2015, 8:55 am
Original Poster

On Upgrade list with no status?

I was listed #12 of 30 for 2 seats on upgrade list according to the GIDS at the gate on ATL-MSY this morning. I have zero status on DL and was on a K fare. I have a very uncommon last name so the chance that someone else has the same three letter & first initial combo seems slim.

Also received TSA Precheck on my boarding pass even though I'm not enrolled in the program. I thought they stopped doing this?

A strange morning!
Old Apr 27, 2015, 8:57 am

Programs: AA Gold, Delta DM Hilton Diamond SPG Gold, and Foodland premium.
Quick buy a lottery ticket.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 9:01 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, DL GM, Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by SEUS777
I was listed #12 of 30 for 2 seats on upgrade list according to the GIDS at the gate on ATL-MSY this morning. I have zero status on DL and was on a K fare. I have a very uncommon last name so the chance that someone else has the same three letter & first initial combo seems slim.

Also received TSA Precheck on my boarding pass even though I'm not enrolled in the program. I thought they stopped doing this?

A strange morning!
PreCheck still exists, but you must now be enrolled in one of the following 4 programs (or in the armed forces):

"DHS Trusted Traveler programs (TSA Pre✓® application program, Global Entry, NEXUS or SENTRI."

That being said, TSA Precheck is a government run program, so these new "requirements" will take 6 years to enforce.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 9:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I saw a Silver with a nonUSA passport get PreCheck recently, in fact several times. No GE card or PreCheck enrollment.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 9:49 am

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM
Do you happen to have status with Starwood?
Old Apr 27, 2015, 9:50 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by iflyalexair
Or status with AS or KLM/AF?
Old Apr 27, 2015, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by iflyalexair
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Even with SPG or AS/KL/AF status, 12/30 would seem highly unlikely.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 10:13 am

I saw a Silver with a nonUSA passport get PreCheck recently, in fact several times. No GE card or PreCheck enrollment.
Again, these new requirements will take a while to implement.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Nope, no status with Starwood or AS or KLM/AF. I wonder if there were a bunch of seats open upfront if I would have truly been upgraded persumably ahead of some medallions.

As for TSA Precheck, I don't have GE, Nexus, etc. I suppose it will take time for the govt to stop giving it to people that don't qualify for it though.

Truly bizzare.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by javabytes
Even with SPG or AS/KL/AF status, 12/30 would seem highly unlikely.
.....but still on the list, although IIRC crossover upgrades based on Starwood status must be requested on the day of travel. I don't think they're automatic, so someone shouldn't be surprised to appear on the list.

The12/30 position is making me think that someone else had a similar name as the OP. Even if the name is unusual, there must be a few with the same combination of four letters in the same order.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 10:42 am

I saw this several times this month. UG list was empty. When PREM were boarding there were still several seats open in F. But when the front door was closed F seats were full. GA did pull people up based on their AS/KLM/SPG/MU... status as well as the fare they paid for coach. I guess some people got UG just because they bought the most expensive coach ticket.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by dabu
I saw this several times this month. UG list was empty. When PREM were boarding there were still several seats open in F. But when the front door was closed F seats were full. GA did pull people up based on their AS/KLM/SPG/MU... status as well as the fare they paid for coach. I guess some people got UG just because they bought the most expensive coach ticket.
The OP had a K fare. It's not deep discount, but it would be a midrange fare, and certainly not the most expensive coach ticket.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 11:37 am

Programs: DL-FO, amex platinum, ducks unlimited, pheasants forever
Not exactly the same situation but I still believe there are issues at times with how the upgrade list is posted.
Last month as a lowly FO on a K fare, RT from RSW to CWA, was upgraded on the RSW to DTW segment. I was #3 of 12 on the list. My return also on K fare I was #33 of 33 on upgrade list from MSP-RSW. I also have DL Platinum Amex. I can't remember ever being last on upgrade list even as an FO. I had no companion dragging me down as well.
The K fare should have put me at least in the lower third of the list. This was the weekend of Easter when many spring breakers are travelling.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 11:50 am

Programs: Delta-PM, HHonors-Diamond, Hyatt-Explorist, Hertz - Presidents
Do you have a common last name? I've seen my name/initials up there twice on a couple occasions. SMI/J is fairly common.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by Start_at_UIN
Do you have a common last name? I've seen my name/initials up there twice on a couple occasions. SMI/J is fairly common.
The OP stated their last name isn't common. That being said, what you described seems like the only logical explanation as to why his name was displayed on the upgrade list.

Obtaining TSA PreCheck was just a coinkydink

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.