Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta 757 service JFK>LAX that was not Delta One

Old Apr 24, 2015, 6:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL-DM; Hertz 5 Star; Hilton Gold; Kayak hater.

First I want to preface this post by saying that i was upgraded to business at the gate. In no way am I complaining about the service provided today during my flight unlike some of the passengers on board today.

Today I boarded DL 422 Transcon service from JFK to LAX. This flight when I booked it showed Economy comfort through seat 25 and Delta One service up front in the business configuration. When I arrived at the bottom of the Jetway I immediately noticed something was off. The lighting in the aircraft was new LED lighting which to my surprise was very inviting. As I got closer to the door I noticed that the entire cabin had new slim line seats but Delta + was missing a few rows. As I turned left to head into the business cabin that's when my jaw dropped. There was no such cabin.

Immediately I notice that the 3x3 configuration butted right up against the 2x2 first class seats. No pods and no bulkheads. I had never been on a 75 like this before. The safety card designation was 757-200 (OW). I searched seat guru for this configuration and could not find it. I did google searches and could not find it.

As we were pulling into the gate some of the passengers were talking and it turns out that a lot of comfort + passengers were reissued middle seats in rows 38-40 due to the configuration change.

So has anyone else experienced this configuration before? Also why would this aircraft be used for Delta one service when Delta guarantees lay flat beds for JFK>LAX flights?
Old Apr 24, 2015, 6:20 pm

if they promise flat-bed seat on all JFK-LAX flight, but you get a old recliner seat with no personal entertainment, then I think they should compensate you.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 6:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL-DM; Hertz 5 Star; Hilton Gold; Kayak hater.
This aircraft was brand new inside. So we had entertainment with the new touch screens. Just no lay flats and no separate cabin.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 6:28 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA Gold, B6 Mosaic, Marriott Gold
N535US subbed in for a B75S that went tech in SFO, Thats why your flight was delayed
Old Apr 24, 2015, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by LorynDM
This aircraft was brand new inside. So we had entertainment with the new touch screens. Just no lay flats and no separate cabin.
Still, if they advertise that "ALL" lax-jfk flights will feature flat-bed seat in business class, and you did not get what they advertise, then they're at fault, and they should find a way to compensate you and other passengers who pay higher fare for higher-end product.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 6:55 pm

I will fly a 75S (newly refurbished 757 with new flat bed seat) out of SFO to JFK in june (a redeye, so a flat-bed is important), if they make a last-minute switch to another 757 without flat bed seat, I would be furious.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 7:16 pm

And Comfort + passengers got moved to regular economy seats? They definitely should be compensated. They paid extra for the C+ seats.

I hope Delta does not get away with this for free.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 7:36 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, DL GM, Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by LorynDM
Immediately I notice that the 3x3 configuration butted right up against the 2x2 first class seats. No pods and no bulkheads. I had never been on a 75 like this before. The safety card designation was 757-200 (OW). I searched seat guru for this configuration and could not find it. I did google searches and could not find it.
Sounds to me like you were on the 75H, which is designated for westcoast-Hawaii ops. OW stands for "Over Water" or ETOPS.

75H seat map:
http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...7-200-75h.html

Delta's 757 transcon fleet (75S) seems to be stretched pretty thin as swaps are happening more frequently than they should. Delta is currently acquiring 5 more 757's that will be refurbished as transcon birds, which should help alleviate the strain on this subfleet.

Originally Posted by uclacolumbiaunc
if they promise flat-bed seat on all JFK-LAX flight, but you get a old recliner seat with no personal entertainment, then I think they should compensate you.
OP did say they were upgraded, so that seems like pretty fair compensation to me, don't you think? Those who paid for lie-flat/C+ though should absolutely be compensated.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by Navig8R
Sounds to me like you were on the 75H, which is designated for westcoast-Hawaii ops. OW stands for "Over Water" or ETOPS.

75H seat map:
http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...7-200-75h.html

Delta's 757 transcon fleet (75S) seems to be stretched pretty thin as swaps are happening more frequently than they should. Delta is currently acquiring 5 more 757's that will be refurbished as transcon birds, which should help alleviate the strain on this subfleet.

OP did say they were upgraded, so that seems like pretty fair compensation to me, don't you think? Those who paid for lie-flat/C+ though should absolutely be compensated.
I was referring to those who paid top dollars for the premium product (i.e. lie-flat seat, etc.)... and those who purchased economy comfort (delta comfort +) and got moved to the middle seats in regular economy. If you did not get the product you paid for, then you should be compensated.

And, if they don't have the capacity in their fleet (with lie-flat bed) to cover ALL transcon flights, then they should not make such guarantee in their advertisement.

I would be fuming if I don't see the new lie-flat seat in my redeye from SFO to JFK in two months. (I paid for the seat, not upgraded... and there are other cheaper options to connect to my final destination.)
Old Apr 24, 2015, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
They have enough capacity. The plane scheduled to operate the flight broke down. They had a spare in a different configuration that they swapped in to avoid the alternative of a lengthy delay or cancellation. Yes, maybe a dozen passengers got less than they paid for and are due some compensation. But I'm sure most of them would rather get where they're going than sit around waiting for a plane with beds when there's another perfectly good plane available.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by javabytes
They have enough capacity. The plane scheduled to operate the flight broke down. They had a spare in a different configuration that they swapped in to avoid the alternative of a lengthy delay or cancellation. Yes, maybe a dozen passengers got less than they paid for and are due some compensation. But I'm sure most of them would rather get where they're going than sit around waiting for a plane with beds when there's another perfectly good plane available.
Agreed.

In fact, the 75H has 4 eatra seats up front, which is most likely why the OP got upgraded. There are significantly fewer C+ seats though, so bummer for those that were moved back to economy.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by javabytes
I am curious to see how (if) Delta makes any compensation to those who paid top dollars in Delta One (and extra for C+)....
Old Apr 24, 2015, 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by uclacolumbiaunc
I am curious to see how (if) Delta makes any compensation to those who paid top dollars in Delta One (and extra for C+)....
This is not the first time this has happened and yes, those who paid for Delta One have been compensated by Delta (at least those who have reported so here on FT).

On another note, I've been bumped out of Economy Comfort in the past because of an equipment change as well (different route/aircraft) and I was refunded the difference.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 12:16 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by Navig8R

This.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by HongKonger
This.
I see what you did there

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.