Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Buying empty seat hypothetical question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2015, 5:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 0.4MM

I have heard where people have purchased a seat for a prized cello in first class to ride with their instrument next to them. It makes sense why, though it's an expensive trip.

But then it got me thinking. If you got some rich person that wanted to have no one sitting next to them and wanted to purchase the seat next to them (or one on both sides) to be empty or to use as a workspace or they are a germaphobe, would they be allowed to do that?

And if it is even possible, I wonder what the GA or FA might try to do to put people in the empty seats and the arguments that would ensue.

Not to mention the SP folk that would complain that they missed their UG.

This isn't anything I'm wanting to do, it's just a hypothetical question to the DL crowd.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 5:47 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
The rich person has a name. It's Ivana Trump. The year was 2009. Here is the thread.

@jeffjohnvol, we each need to own up to some personal shame here: You for thinking like Ivana Trump; me for wasting brain space for the past six years remembering this.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Delta will sell you an extra as part of it's customers of size policy, but I think you have to call to do it.

"We will do all possible to ensure your comfort but you might consider booking an additional seat in order to ensure your best comfort during your travel. Please call Delta Reservations at 1-800-221-1212 and they will be glad to assist."

I believe your seat will say something like "Extra Seat <lastname>" (according to those who have done it). You won't earn any MQM's for the extra seat (not sure about MQD/RDM's now that they are price based).

Yes, you may get some pressure to give up your extra seat in an oversell situation or if there is an actual customer of size on the flight who didn't bother to book an extra seat.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 6:48 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by LBJ
Yes, you may get some pressure to give up your extra seat in an oversell situation or if there is an actual customer of size on the flight who didn't bother to book an extra seat.
My wife and I have thought about doing this (buying an extra seat between us) on long-haul but have always been worried about the empty seat being taken at the last minute. If the FA walks through for their count and tells the GA they have "one empty" you may not have an opportunity to contest until the GA has already cleared a standby.

Air New Zealand allows couples to buy the middle seat between them as part of their couch service (basically footrests lift from the seat to make a twin bed to share.

OP, I don't think one needs to be rich to do this. The cost of 3 seats in Y is likely going to be a lot less than 2 seats in J in most any scenario.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
If you buy an extra seat, you'll get an extra ticket and BP for LASTNAME/EXTRASEAT.

Make sure it's scanned at boarding and hold on to it, as it will prove to the FA doing their final count that the seat is indeed "occupied".
Old Apr 23, 2015, 7:42 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You can book an extra seat, but need to call DL to do it. The BP issued also is coded so that the "seat" is not included in the pax count for weight & balance purposes.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 7:57 am

Jerry Seinfeld was big on booking the extra seat. He had a bit about it in his stand-up and I think it made it into his show too.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 8:04 am

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
I have a colleague that regularly buys the middle seat in coach when he and his wife travel.

It is a bit awkward when the FA wants to get some standby passenger on, but such is life
Old Apr 23, 2015, 8:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gooselee
If you buy an extra seat, you'll get an extra ticket and BP for LASTNAME/EXTRASEAT.

Make sure it's scanned at boarding and hold on to it, as it will prove to the FA doing their final count that the seat is indeed "occupied".
Huh. Good to know. I guess it's not as uncommon as I thought. A suppose only a small percentage of people would be aware (and inexperienced FA's as well) and accuse the pax of being a DYKWIA if they don't give it up.

Originally Posted by FlyAO2
I have a colleague that regularly buys the middle seat in coach when he and his wife travel.

It is a bit awkward when the FA wants to get some standby passenger on, but such is life
That would be an interesting conversation to overhear, LOL.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 8:51 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
We did it last year for a trip to China. I posted all my experiences with the purchase here last spring/summer. Can't be on upgrade list because that "extra seat" doesn't have a skymiles number (for the domestic legs, of course, not an option for international) but you can buy economy comfort (presumably can now do Comfort+). Worked out great for my husband as he promptly fell asleep across the extra seat. Fortunately I'm able to sleep more upright

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...tional-ec.html
Old Apr 23, 2015, 9:21 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gooselee

I assumed a BP was issued and the passenger would need to be firm if it ever became an issue with an FA trying to clear a SB into the seat.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 9:36 am

Programs: DL Gold / AA Gold
Originally Posted by CJKatl
The rich person has a name. It's Ivana Trump. The year was 2009. Here is the thread.

@jeffjohnvol, we each need to own up to some personal shame here: You for thinking like Ivana Trump; me for wasting brain space for the past six years remembering this.
Thought Mr. Trump has a 757 and 727. Guess he knows better than to let Ivana use his planes.

I have seen it once, when there was 0 available FC but with 1 vacant seat. Got the answer from the FA but didn't recognize who he was.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TTT
I assumed a BP was issued and the passenger would need to be firm if it ever became an issue with an FA trying to clear a SB into the seat.
I can only imagine what they would do in an oversold situation. The pressure would be high from the GA/FA. They would call you selfish, etc. If it was a matter of someone getting home, I'd give it up, but only if they refunded my money.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 10:34 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Originally Posted by jeffjohnvol
I can only imagine what they would do in an oversold situation. The pressure would be high from the GA/FA. They would call you selfish, etc. If it was a matter of someone getting home, I'd give it up, but only if they refunded my money.
I don't know why they wouldn't handle it the way they would any other oversold situation. I bought that seat the same way every other person on the plane bought a seat. Ask for volunteers, bribe someone to give up a seat. Might be me, might not, but if I pay for it - that's my seat. To get it from me, they had better do more than just refund the money I paid for it....
Old Apr 23, 2015, 10:45 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
I don't know why they wouldn't handle it the way they would any other oversold situation. I bought that seat the same way every other person on the plane bought a seat. Ask for volunteers, bribe someone to give up a seat. Might be me, might not, but if I pay for it - that's my seat. To get it from me, they had better do more than just refund the money I paid for it....
Could they bump (VDB or IDB) the extra seat? Would the extra seat get a voucher in it's name?

An extra seat isn't going to have Medallion status so would be eligble for IDB if it came to that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.