Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

04/25 NRT-HND connection: 9.5 hrs total - Advice?

Old Apr 15, 15, 7:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2.5MM, 20 Years Top Tier on DL, UA 1K, AC E75k, MR/SPG Lifetime Platinum

Hey Folks,

I am doing a quick turnaround to SIN and on the way back next Saturday (04.25) I have an awkward NRT-HND connection. I am in BE for all of the flights (though I am not sure that this matters for this post). I have 9.5 hours from landing in NRT to takeoff in HND. Usually I take the bus between these airports but I am sure that many of you Tokyo experts may have some suggestions for me on how to make best use of this layover. All I will have for luggage is a computer bag and roll-aboard.

Thx in advance for your replies.

TFD
Old Apr 15, 15, 7:07 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver, AS 75K 15-20
I've done the 70 minute bus ride three times, and every time, I've arrived too early to check bags for my Haneda flight. Just keep in mind flight opens for baggage check-ins around 4 hours prior to flight. Otherwise you might use the baggage storage facility.

Jiburi
Old Apr 15, 15, 7:07 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by Task Force DL View Post
Hey Folks,

I am doing a quick turnaround to SIN and on the way back next Saturday (04.25) I have an awkward NRT-HND connection. I am in BE for all of the flights (though I am not sure that this matters for this post). I have 9.5 hours from landing in NRT to takeoff in HND. Usually I take the bus between these airports but I am sure that many of you Tokyo experts may have some suggestions for me on how to make best use of this layover. All I will have for luggage is a computer bag and roll-aboard.

Thx in advance for your replies.

TFD
I would probably take the first available limousine bus into Tokyo, check my bags at the bell stand of the arriving hotel, go sightseeing, have a nice dinner, and then go to HND. If you aren't waiting around for a specific hotel drop off you should be able to get a bus fairly quickly.
Old Apr 15, 15, 7:59 pm

I've taken the Narita Express train to Shibuya and walked around for a while. I walked over to Harijuku to the Meji Jingu Shrine. Beautiful area to walk around for an hour.

From there you can take the subway to HND.

Not sure if that's feasible for your, but I found it refreshing to stretch my legs.
Old Apr 15, 15, 8:24 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.5MM, AA EXP, SPG Plat
I would take the bus to HND, find a locker and dump your stuff, take the monorail to the Hamamatsucho terminus (15mins), then you've got a world of opportunities - Harajuku ( as suggested), Asakusa, Odaiba (very close to Hamamatsucho). The Tokyo Monorail website (tokyo-monorail.co.jp) has tour suggestions.

You could take the N-EX train from NRT to Tokyo. There should be lockers at the station, but I've heard rumors that the lockers may be too small for a roller. They have a left luggage office, but it closes at 20:30.
Old Apr 15, 15, 9:41 pm

Programs: Delta DM, MM
Last year we took the subway to central station, stored both roller bags easily in one locket and then ate and shopped until we took the monorail to HND. No issues and had a fun day.
Old Apr 15, 15, 9:57 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
You can store your bags at Tokyo station or Hamamatsucho (? going off memory here) station. I did that, did some sightseeing, which if you haven't been to Tokyo before, you'll learn that's very easy with their train system. Have a nice dinner in the city or maybe do some shopping then take the monorail over to HND.
Old Apr 15, 15, 10:11 pm

Programs: MR LT(!)TE, DL PM MM, HTZ PC, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE, Uber Gold
Originally Posted by CaptainCajun View Post
You could take the N-EX train from NRT to Tokyo. There should be lockers at the station, but I've heard rumors that the lockers may be too small for a roller.
Almost every station with lockers (and that's almost every station) has lockers big enough to handle a typical roller. A bigger concern would be that, depending on time of day, day of week, and station, the lockers can fill up.

But yeah, I'd drop my bags somewhere and go eat or see something. Alternately, NRT and HND have observation decks!
Old Apr 16, 15, 12:00 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors

Soapland.

/thread
Old Apr 16, 15, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by HongKonger View Post
Soapland.

/thread
Given the origin is SIN that seems like overkill.

If it's just a roll-a-board the lockers will likely work. Just may sure to stay aware of peek commute times on the trains.
Old Apr 16, 15, 1:31 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1MM, UX Suma Gold, Marriott Bonvoy™️ Gold, Hilton Gold, Avis Preferred, Hertz PC
As a veteran of the Narita-Haneda shuffle - I intentionally book these since I enjoy Tokyo so much - you have a few options here.

I tend to prefer the trains to the buses in Tokyo if you want to actually visit the city and aren't carrying bunches of heavy luggage. The schedules are very reliable, while the limousine buses can occasionally get stuck in really bad rush hour traffic depending on timing... and the fares for the buses aren't dramatically cheaper than the train to compensate.

Your main options for Narita-city are:

- JR Narita Express to Tokyo Station (61 minutes)
- JR Narita Express to Shinagawa Station (69 minutes)
- Keisei Skyliner to Ueno Station (43 minutes)
- Keisei Access Express to Shinagawa Station (81 minutes)
- Keisei Access Express to Haneda (93 minutes)

Your two main options for city-Haneda are:

- Tokyo Monorail from Hamamatsucho (19 minutes)
- Keikyu Line from Shinagawa (13 minutes)

When trying to ditch luggage close to Haneda, I usually choose Shinagawa and pony up the extra money to take the Narita Express. It's halfway between the western and eastern halves of the city, it's on the Yamanote circle line, and it's the only inner city station you can get to without connections from both Narita and Haneda IIRC.

Luggage lockers are easy to find and use - although later in the day they do fill up a bit, so you may have to hunt down a few banks of them before finding one that fits your stuff.

If you haven't been to Tokyo before, I recommend picking up a Suica or Pasmo card - both are interchangeable, so it doesn't matter which one you buy. They're easy to get from vending machines outside any station, and it makes using the transit system much faster and easier. Plus, as a bonus, it can serve as your key and payment for most of the luggage locker banks - convenient if you don't have any yen coinage yet, since some of the lockers don't have bill acceptors.

Once you're there, get around using the Yamanote circle line - it's frequent, easy, and connects most of the important destinations in the city. You've got plenty of options for what to do with your time. If the weather's nice and you want to visit a temple, Meiji Shrine in Harajuku or Asakusa Shrine in Asakusa are both good options. For an observation tower, the new Tokyo Sky Tree is pretty impressive (although requires a few connections to get to via subway). If you want to do some shopping, Ginza (for ultra high end shopping) or Shibuya (for more reasonable choices) are both good options. Shibuya also is the home of the famous 'scramble crossing', which is a quintessentially Tokyo experience. And if you're intrigued by electronics or anime, Akihabara is a must-visit.

Beware of straying too far away from wherever you drop your luggage. Tokyo is deceptively large; make sure you account for enough time to retrieve your stuff before your flight!

If you want a meal and are intimidated by all the choices, one easily accessible option is in Akihabara Electric Town - just outside the train station and easy to find is a huge Yodobashi Camera electronics store, which is in itself an experience. On the top floor of that store is a reasonably diverse food court with lots of decent Japanese food options (kaiten (conveyor belt) sushi, tonkatsu (fried pork cutlet), okonomiyaki (Osaka-style Japanese pancake)). I like recommending it to folks who aren't comfortable with Japanese because there's a wide selection and most of the restaurants there have English or picture menus due to the tourist interest in Akiba, so ordering and enjoying a good meal is pretty stress free. Alternatively, Haneda has some nice options as well.

The lounge in Haneda has nice showers; unfortunately, it's no longer accessible for ST E+ so I never book NRT-HND connections anymore unless I'm in confirmed J. You are, though, so you can take advantage of them to be more comfortable on your next flight after a day of exploring the city.

Just my 2 Yen... hope this was somewhat helpful. If there's something specific you'd like to do in the city, I'm sure the community can make some more recommendations.
Old Apr 16, 15, 1:35 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1MM, UX Suma Gold, Marriott Bonvoy™️ Gold, Hilton Gold, Avis Preferred, Hertz PC
(I realized that probably needs a tl;dr. My suggestions, summarized: )
  • Get a Suica card if you don't already have one
  • Take the Narita Express train to Shinagawa Station
  • Find a locker (you may have to check a few banks to find availability for the larger lockers late in the day, but there's usually one free)
  • Drop your luggage in a locker using your Suica card
  • Explore the city using the Yamanote line
  • If hungry, Akihabara has some easy choices for a meal and is also an interesting place to explore
  • Return to Shinagawa and take the Keikyu Line to Haneda Airport
Old Apr 16, 15, 1:46 pm

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond, DL Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I found ample storage for my carry on bag at the Roppongi Hills Tower shopping complex. There's a nice museum at the top and you're in close proximity to many other sights and restaurants. The monorail back to HND is what I prefer.
Old Apr 16, 15, 2:20 pm

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
I did exactly this (MNL-NRT, HND-SEA, all J on DL) in November. It was a great day.

I took Narita Express to Shibuya neighborhood (1500 JPY). I walked around a lot. I ate Ramen. I got a Shiatusa massage. I bought a gift at a department store. And then I took the limousine bus to HND (1230 JPY). Both transports were on time, efficient, and clean.

Be patient; not many people speak English. Read up in advance about how the Ramen shops work.

As for luggage, I left mine in MNL so didn't have to deal with that issue.
Old Apr 25, 15, 8:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2.5MM, 20 Years Top Tier on DL, UA 1K, AC E75k, MR/SPG Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by BenA View Post
(I realized that probably needs a tl;dr. My suggestions, summarized: )
  • Get a Suica card if you don't already have one
  • Take the Narita Express train to Shinagawa Station
  • Find a locker (you may have to check a few banks to find availability for the larger lockers late in the day, but there's usually one free)
  • Drop your luggage in a locker using your Suica card
  • Explore the city using the Yamanote line
  • If hungry, Akihabara has some easy choices for a meal and is also an interesting place to explore
  • Return to Shinagawa and take the Keikyu Line to Haneda Airport
BenA you are the man! I actually printed out your post and did everything that you said. It was a great layover and I thoroughly enjoyed Shibuya sans bags for the first time. It was so nice being able to walk around with out the bags and enjoy the scenery.

Thanks so much for your detailed post - It really made the difference.

...in HND now awaiting my (late) flight home...

TFD

Search this Thread
Search Engine: