Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Sleeping in Delta SkyClub: Rule inconsistent

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2015, 4:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Skymiles 1M & DM ; Hyatt Discoverist

I was told by a Red Coat, who seems to have been called in specifically for this purpose (while I was sleeping at the Terminal D ATL Skyclub that I was not permitted to sleep after coming off a redeye in couch with a long layover.

I frequently layover at MSP where people sleep all the time. At PDX, it's a given that at least 3 or 4 of us curl up, lay down, and sleep.

What's going on here? I read the SkyClub rules and the only rule (other than general "right to refuse service to anyone" is the rule against "undignified" behavior. Children run amok is dignified but a snooze isn't?
Old Apr 15, 2015, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
I have never heard of this "rule". I have taken many naps in many Sky Clubs after red-eye flights, and have encountered countless others doing the same.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 5:05 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Could you provide more specifics? Where in the club were you sleeping? And how?

For example, I would see it as OK to take a nap in a quiet room where there have reclining chairs, like they have at LAX in the back, or to close your eyes in a chair off to the side.

However, I would think that the following things are not inappropriate to do:
-lay down on a couch for a nap
-remove shoes
-sleep in the middle of a club in an otherwise busy area
-snore
-take up more than one seat for the purpose of sleeping

For what it's worth, I also think that children being allowed to "run amok" is not appropriate.
m907 likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 5:05 pm

Programs: DL DM; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by shipitfish
I was told by a Red Coat, who seems to have been called in specifically for this purpose (while I was sleeping at the Terminal D ATL Skyclub that I was not permitted to sleep after coming off a redeye in couch with a long layover.

I frequently layover at MSP where people sleep all the time. At PDX, it's a given that at least 3 or 4 of us curl up, lay down, and sleep.

What's going on here? I read the SkyClub rules and the only rule (other than general "right to refuse service to anyone" is the rule against "undignified" behavior. Children run amok is dignified but a snooze isn't?
I have fallen asleep on long layovers at the skyclub before but I would never lay down on a couch. I chose a single seat hidden in a quiet area, put my carry on in front of my feet and fall asleep like that. Laying down does not seem appropriate.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
OP did not describe the particulars, but I would make a distinction between sitting in a chair, with my head back, asleep... and taking up a whole couch to lie recumbent.

And, while I view DL's continued reference to "the business-like atmosphere of the Delta Sky Club" to be a farce, people sprawled out on couches, if that were the case, would seem to be over the edge... and a solipsistic use of limited seating space, considering the continuing overcrowding of the clubs.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 6:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
No airport hotels available at most US airports that are connected to the airport terminals?
Old Apr 15, 2015, 6:27 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
OP did not describe the particulars, but I would make a distinction between sitting in a chair, with my head back, asleep... and taking up a whole couch to lie recumbent.

And, while I view DL's continued reference to "the business-like atmosphere of the Delta Sky Club" to be a farce, people sprawled out on couches, if that were the case, would seem to be over the edge... and a solipsistic use of limited seating space, considering the continuing overcrowding of the clubs.
Rarely can I do this, but I give your comment a BIG ^
Old Apr 15, 2015, 6:29 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
I took a wonderful and much-needed nap in the SEA SkyClub after coming in from PEK and awaiting my 5 hour connection to MSP. I was in a quiet room on a recliner. No one bothered me in the slightest.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 6:49 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter

I learned a new word today... solipsistic / solipsism... thank you for expanding my vocabulary... who says you can't learn anything on FT?

Do have to add that grabbing a snooze in a chair = fine, sprawling out on a couch or using multiple chairs to sleep = not fine... just one frequent travelers opinion though...
Old Apr 15, 2015, 6:57 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Delta DM Hilton Diamond SPG Gold, and Foodland premium.
Did you put on PJs, connect yourself to the CPAP, set an alarm clock, and wear night shades?
Crazy rule by overzealous red coat. I would move to a different club.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 7:10 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
Originally Posted by Esltroy
Did you put on PJs, connect yourself to the CPAP, set an alarm clock, and wear night shades?
+1 laughing hard here at the visualization...
Old Apr 15, 2015, 7:14 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
For what it's worth, I also think that children being allowed to "run amok" is not appropriate.
I don't remember seeing such a display at SC before, but I always avoid traveling on big family holiday periods.

I have seen plenty of adults behaving worse than kids, though, including foul language while talking loudly on the phone, and propping feet on the furniture (and on a couple of occasions, the socks even had holes).
Old Apr 15, 2015, 7:23 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by wolf72
No airport hotels available at most US airports that are connected to the airport terminals?
Semi OT (as we are talking just a quick snooze), but they are fairly uncommon. Generally you need to search around and take a shuttle.
Originally Posted by bubbashow
Rarely can I do this, but I give your comment a BIG ^
Bubba, Staying Home and the unwashed masses all on the same page? I think we need a group hug. :-)
Old Apr 15, 2015, 7:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Originally Posted by exwannabe
Semi OT (as we are talking just a quick snooze), but they are fairly uncommon. Generally you need to search around and take a shuttle.

Bubba, Staying Home and the unwashed masses all on the same page? I think we need a group hug. :-)
Understood.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by Esltroy
DL doesn't give out PJs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.